PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Rumours - truth or just scare stories?

speedster3003
4th Nov 2008, 18:18
Hi Everyone

Hope someone can help me with this. I'm recently out of flight school and am seriously considering applying to Ryanair. However I've heard a couple of what I'm hoping are just scare stories and I was wondering is some could dispel these as nothing more than just the usual aviation rumours. Basically one of the guys who lived in my accommodation said that he knew of someone at his local aerodrome who had got through the Ryanair assessment then after the Type Rating wasn't taken on and so was left with a big debt, a 737 TR but no hours and no job :(. Another person who lived there (I lived in a B & B so plenty of people passed through from time to time) claimed they had known someone who used to instruct at SAS but he resigned because he thought it was unfair that he was made to write criticisms regarding Ryanair students on the 737 TR (I assume so they didn't have to take these people on). I really hope all this stuff is just a total myth but I'd like some feedback from anyone in the know

No RYR for me
4th Nov 2008, 19:40
4 words: use the search option ;)

Day_Dreamer
4th Nov 2008, 20:44
If you don't put in the hard work there is no guarantee of a job after training.
Some enter the course with the idea "i can pay so the job's a formality"
Nothing in aviation is clear cut and like in many jobs there are failures in training !!!
Should you get through the selection its up to you to meet the exacting standards required of a type rating course, yes reports are written and filed but they are signed for by the student and are not secret.
Just because you paid for the training does not mean that the reports will always be in your favour, if you don't put in the work you wont make the grade.
The answer to your question is put in the work and make the grade then there is every possibility of a job afterwards.It's really up to you.

portsharbourflyer
4th Nov 2008, 22:46
Speedster, I don't work for Ryanair but several of the guys I trained with do work there. All I can say is there was a point in time where I was in a position to finance a type rating and foolishy opted to become a full time flying instructor instead.

I regret not applying to Ryanair, because all my colleagues that went there are now years ahead of me in their flying careers. You may get a bit of raw deal for the first six months, but once the line training is complete the sector pay deal seems to be quite good, you will build hours very quickly on a very useful and common type. I am amazed on the number that consider been bonded on a low salary for three to four years is any more acceptable than paying for a rating.

In past posts I have probably criticised Ryanair but a five day on, four day off roster and getting home every night has to be one of the best rosters around (well it certainly beats been stuck downroute in a hotel on continuous standby doing minimal flying).

So if you can afford to finance Ryanair I wouldn't hesitate. And at worst if you don't get employed after the type rating, well at least you have a rating on a common type.

IrishJetdriver
5th Nov 2008, 10:16
As mentioned in earlier posts, paying for the TR is no guarantee you will pass the course. I presume that the person mentioned actually failed the skills test or was removed from the course due to poor performance and subsequent impact on others. Do bear in mind that the circuits form part of the TR course, so if they didn't get that far then it would be most probable they had failed at or before the skills test. People can also fail at the circuits stage but it is pretty unlikely, however the TRE has to consider whether it is safe to allow the person to continue.

Ryanair is no charity. The TR course is not a walk in the park. Ryanair is not a walk in the park. High standards are expected and consideration is given to experience levels. At the end of each sim session the TRI must complete an appraisal form for that day. . The appraisal is discussed there and then and usually with both students present. The student must read it and sign it to acknowledge the comments made. They can write their own comments on the same form if necessary.

Sounds like sour grapes to me from someone who either didn't have the skill to pass the course or perhaps was too lazy to pull their finger out.

I have worked for Flybe and Ryanair and the requirements are the same. The standards are the same. When you apply to any airline and start any TR course you do not have a right to pass and to fly the line. The passengers do however have a right to expect high standards.

If you are frightened of hard work then commercial flying is not for you. If that isn't the case, then come on in, the water is lovely !!

Callsign Kilo
5th Nov 2008, 11:25
I share the line that IrishJetDriver takes. Ryanair is no charity, and for that matter neither is any airline. I too fly for Ryanair and remember having it explained to me quite clearly that even though the training route is self sponsored, there was no guarantee that everyone who is offered a position on a TR course goes on to sit in the rhs as a line pilot. People fail the course, fail the base check or indeed don't make it through line training. This is the same with any airline and on the basis of safety, they cut their losses. The training department at FR is very good and operated at a high standard. People are given many chances and as much help as possibe. However, like with all operations, there is never an infinate amount of chances and a line has to be drawn somewhere. Anybody who signs up to the course is made aware of this before any money changes hands.

IrishJetdriver
5th Nov 2008, 14:20
It is an instrument rating test except the difference to what you have experienced before is that it is a two crew effort.

You will be expected to handle any emergency situation that occurs either deliberately by the examiner or as a result of errors on your part.

You will need to fly manual (with flight director) ILS approaches and autocoupled non-precision approaches. These are currently using heading and vertical speed however I believe that autocoupled VNAV approaches will be introduced.

You must handle engine failures at V1 including with 125m visibility. Rejected take-off. Evacuation. depressurisation. Circling approaches. Raw data ILS two engines. Low Vis Ops. Various go-arounds etc.

You will be expected to show a suitable understanding and adherance to Ryanair SOPs. You will need to show appropriate CRM.

All briefings are done in the briefing room in order to save time in the sim. It is only a 3 hour session.

If you are two cadets flying together then each of you must operate as PNF from the LHS. In this case you need to know the captains drills as well.

It is a very challenging test but one you should be ready for when you get there. You may need extra sim sessions to get there and these are a cost item to you. You will not be asked to demonstrate anything you have not done and been signed off for before.

Don't worry about it now. Buy the Bill Bulfer Ryanair 737NG book. Loads of good stuff in there

-8AS
7th Nov 2008, 09:02
Some minor corrections:

The LST - Licence Skills Test conducted at the end of the TR course is 4 hours.

VNAV is now the preferred means of conducting NP approaches. (Trained during the course).

The OPC - Operators Proficiency Check (conducted every six months during recurrent training) is 3 hours (4 when combined with an LPC - every other check).

You will not be put forward for the LST during the TR course unless you are ready.

a797
8th Nov 2008, 13:02
Is there much hand flown ndb approaches during the TR? I know ryr fly quite a few ndb approaches into some of the crappier airports they use.

wheelie my boeing
8th Nov 2008, 15:34
There ain't no smoke without fire...

Callsign Kilo
9th Nov 2008, 13:22
Never had to fly an NDB approach yet, however Non Precision approaches are fairly regular practice. They are not hand flown and as someone else has already described we use the automatics and modes such as LNAV and VOR/LOC and VNAV or V/S. When visual and stabilized, then disconnect and land the aircraft manually. NPAs are considered to be more demanding and the use of the autopilot is a requirement. Introducing VNAV into the equasion rather than V/S is meant to enhance safety as it provides a constant descent gradient from the FAF. This is how it's done in Ryanair and how you will do it during your TR. Hand flown NPAs were something you did during you ME/IR. You could certainly do it in the 737-800, however it's not standard practice and I doubt there are many Captains out there who would let you do it either, especially when conditions are borderline.

munsterflyer
9th Nov 2008, 16:05
with a ATPL(h) 1400hrs of instruction ,if i decided to change to fixed wing would ryanair take me at 42 next year.

IrishJetdriver
9th Nov 2008, 19:20
If you got through the selection process why not? They do take older pilots with no experience (chap my course was 45). Worth a shot I reckon. No-one else is likely to be hiring in any numbers for a while.

Do bear in mind that FR is not a pushover to get in to. Especially in these times. If you meet the standard, and there's a space, you have a chance.

Mikehotel152
17th Nov 2008, 09:43
With reference to the READ BEFORE YOU POST - Ryanair - Some thought-provoking information thread, has anybody any further and up to date information on the current Ryanair Terms and Conditions of Employment in so far as you could advise what a successful TR graduate might receive in remuneration for the first 12 months?

CAVEAT: Sincere apologies to those who are going to reply with cries of 'Do a search' but in all honesty Ryanair is such a hot topic of conversation that such a search would probably drown my computer in useless trivia and not give me a useful answer!

Callsign Kilo
19th Nov 2008, 17:03
Cadet Training Contract - Until recently a cadet was employed directly by Ryanair under a 'Ryanair Training Contract.' Upon completion of training employment was transfered to Brookfield Aviation where qualified cadet FO became a contract pilot working for Ryanair. Now I believe cadets undergoing line training are employed directly by Brookfield at a rate of either 30e or 35e per block hour (less 4.50e per block hour recurrency training and checking).

Cadet (<500 hours TT JAR 25) - 60e per block hour (less 4.50e per block hour).

FO (>500 hours TT JAR 25) - 80e per block hour (less 4.50e per block hour).

Year 1 - expect anything between 750-900 block hours per year. Expect hours flown to reduce as your 'cost' rises. Under Brookfield you look after your own tax affairs. You must register with an accountant and declare yourself as self employed to the Revenue. If you do not, Brookfield won't pay you. Numerous tax and other financial 'benefits' in regards to TR, uniform, recurrency training rate etc available if you speak to the right people. Also 'away from base rate' equals extra 20e per block hour on top of standard rate to cover additional costs. You are also required to take one month off unpaid per year. Expect this to be during the winter schedule.

arsilva
19th Nov 2008, 21:31
Irish jet driver, are you saying we need to do all that on simulator session of the assessment?

In a 3h session?

you gotta be joking... my sim just took 20 minutes and just made a normal take off some manouvers and an NDB approach...

not to speak on the 15 min interview:rolleyes:

easymoney
20th Nov 2008, 08:09
Jet Driver - is refering to the final check when you have completed the Type Rating Course.