PDA

View Full Version : Do you know about Mont Air, Brampton school and Toronto Airways school?

phoenixtv
4th Nov 2008, 14:10
I've contacted Mont Air, Brampton and Toronto Airways these three schools in Canada. The price is almost at the same level, but does any body know something about these schools or is training there? Could you provide some information of the real situation of these schools? Thanks a lot!:ugh::ugh:

Pilot DAR
5th Nov 2008, 10:50
I cannot speak for Mont Air.

Both Toronto Airways and Brampton are good. Their equipment and capability are very similar. Brampton is a flying club, and owns it's own airport, which is uncontrolled. It is a little distance northwest of Toronto, and not really close to "town". It tends to have less air traffic, which means you spend more time flying and less time taxiing and holding short. Toronot Airways is at Buttonville Airport at the northeast of Toronto. That airport is more busy, so you often have to wait a bit, but you get lots of radio work! Both have aircraft ond staff of comparible cost and quality, and similar high quality teaching environments.

Pilot DAR

phoenixtv
5th Nov 2008, 12:06
Well, thanks so much!

Do you know anything about the living there?
I compaired Brampton and Toronto, Brampton needs to pay membership fee for club, but Toronto only has C-152 now!
Do you know in these two schools, could our fly training steps be delayed by the instructor factors? Like instructor is not willing to fly so often which causes we need more time to get the certificates. Thanks!

woodcoc2000
5th Nov 2008, 15:06
montair are very good outfit; i trained there a while back. some chinese airlines send their cadets there for training from zero hours up to commercial/Instrucment rating. Boundary Bay is a good airfield to learn at as well.

http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

bonbon512
6th Nov 2008, 01:12
Toronto Airways is a busy school. It can get difficult to book a lesson, as the instructors are busy and the planes may all be taken by other students. However, it's a good training facility within the city. Great airport for night flying, as it's smack dab in the middle of an urban sprawl; very difficult to find at night.

The word is that they're renovating their building, adding a few new Cessna 172's, two Seminoles, and a new simulator!

The good:
- busy airport, thus a better learning experience (ie. radio and circuit procedures)
- great place for night flying

The bad:
- busy airport, sometimes you're on the ground for 10 minutes just to WAIT to take-off
- expensive
- takes some time to fly out to the practice area

Instructors factors? Not really, as all instructors want to fly as long as the weather permits! A problem I ran into was my instructors kept leaving for better jobs, but it shouldn't be that big of an issue now that the industry and economy is facing a downturn.

Overall, not a bad place to train in, but expensive compared to other places.

phoenixtv
6th Nov 2008, 12:45
It's so nice to hear those important information.
Now there is a new choice which is Harv's Air. I heard this is also very good and I checked their website and price is almost the same as other three, but it's convenient on living. Accomodation and lacation is good for studying. So anyone knows about Harv's? Instructors, aircrafts, management, etc.
:cool:

sufi
4th Jan 2011, 18:41
Toronto airways seems to be the best . they have a large number of fleets . veryyyyy good airport (controlled) , they own their airport . good simulators . they also give you a job after training , they says !! nd alot of facilities . very big school !http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

I am planning to go in toronto airways ! i am a international student in canada . and will join toronto airways after couple of months . guys i really need your advices on this . what should i do ? should i go there ? i am intrested . because they seem to be very impressive . bundle of thanx in advance .

Pilot DAR
5th Jan 2011, 02:27
Let me offer a little assistance Sufi...

Obviously Toronto Airways has impressed you, and that's fine, becasue they are a good operation at a busy airport. Just to clarify, Toronto Airways flight school and the airport itself are together family owned. The airport, however, serves many tenants, not just the flying school. Brampton Flying Club owns its own airport, with no tennants of which I am aware. In today's world, the difference is probably moot, though in the days I learned to fly at Brampton, if it got too busy, they would simply close the airport to non members, so those of us who were members could fly with minimal delay. Buttonville can be a very busy airport at times, and you can be waiting to take off some times. The balance of this is you will get excellent opportunities for radio work, which is very useful in today's flying world. Bear in mind that Buttonville is slated to close in the years to come, though I do not have details on this.

Taking training at Buttonville/Toronto Airways will not dissapoint you. Before you choose, visit Brampton as well, just so you can apprecaite the differences.

If you are open to a much quieter learning environment, with true one on oneattention, consider Lake Country Airways. Lake Country Airways: floatplane training, endorsements, float charters and rentals (http://www.lakecountryairways.ca/index.html) I took more training there last year, and was very impressed. Their instructors are very experienced, not time builders. You can also fly both wheels and floats there. They are located about an hour and a half north of Toronto, but it's nice and quiet there, and you're never waiting for your turn on the runway!

On another note, and not to be harsh, or unkind (and please take this only as helpful advice, not criticism), communicate (here) in the way you want your potential employer to receive you - maybe that person is reading here (I have hired a person directly from PPrUNe, because she communicated so well). Always write with the care you would like your employer to think you will take with his plane. If you cut corners while writing, would you cut corners while flying? Many people will say I'm being trivial commenting simple posts here, but they are the only way you are being seen right now, so you might as well take the opportunity to make the best impression you can! Details like your choice of capitalization and punctuation, and your checking of spelling in your writing, will be an indication to your future chief pilot as to how you will be thorough with preflight checks, and other important details in flight.

As a mentor once told me, always leave your best impression first!

Good luck with your flight training, Ontario is a great place to learn...

CanAmdelta1
6th Jan 2011, 23:57
Toronto Airways sister school, Canadian Flight Academy is a good choice if one prefers an area East of Toronto. Their training areas are adjacent and CYOO Oshawa is somewhat less busy than Buttonville. You still experience a Control Zone and ATC but have less ground delays and traffic. Both training areas are rural and are mostly farmland and lakes.

The instructors I know are top shelf and I believe both schools offer online aircraft and instructor booking.

Both schools accomodate foreign students and know the necessary paperwork. I would be guessing but there are probably 30-40 A/C to choose between the two schools.