PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the Atlantic

Giolla
3rd Nov 2008, 14:16
I used to fly small aircraft (Piper Cup, Fuji A-200, Piper Bonanza which belonged to a friend) so I am not too inexperienced. An issue with my hearing ended that episode, although now and then I fly an aluminium broomstick with an attached wing and Rotax pusher.
Now my question: I am a writer of novels and in my present script, my protagonist flies from LFPB to LPPT, the first leg.
The plane is a Lancair Evolution Vmax 270 ktas and an autonomy of 1700 nm at Ve;
distance to LPPT approx 850 nm, depending VFR.
The second leg is to Sta Cruz das Flores, distance approx 850/900 nm. Choosing the right weather here is possibly of virtual importance.
The following leg is from Sta Cruz to St Johns (Canada) a straight 1100 nm over the Atlantic and no airfields.

Technically all within the capacity of the aircraft, but would you do it, provided you had the chance? Please comment. Remember, this is for a book!

SNS3Guppy
3rd Nov 2008, 18:36
I had a friend that did those trips on a regular basis, until one day the airplane was less willing to complete the journey than he, and together they went for a float in the north Atlantic.

That the airplane is relatively swift isn't particularly important when one is preparing to put one's survival suit to the test. Aside from the potentical for engine failure, the potential for systems failure, loss of electrical, loss of instrumentation, etc, where little redundancy may be provided, should give one pause.

Given the necessary preparation, it's a common trip, these days. Just not one that should be taken lightly.