PDA

View Full Version : SAS Museum, Gardermoen, Oslo

GERBY
3rd Nov 2008, 07:17
Does any one know if there is a web site for the SAS museum at Gardermoen. Some mention of the museum on the main SAS web site, but not very factual.

S'land
3rd Nov 2008, 10:40
Not sure if it includes the SAS museum, but the Norwegian Armed Forces aviation museum is:
Forsvarets Flysamling Gardermoen - Forside (http://www.flysamlingen.museum.no/)

Nardi Riviera
3rd Nov 2008, 11:20
That museum does not have own website as far as I know, but is mentioned here:
Gardermoen Kulturpark (http://www.gardermoenkulturpark.no/aktor_sasmuseet.html)

It is situated just north of the GA terminal, easy to see, with ample parking space.

GERBY
3rd Nov 2008, 11:33
S'land
Many thanks for the info on the Oslo Airport miltary museum.. The SAS museum is near by, and will be viiting both of them in the near future.
Once again, many thanks for your help.

Gerby.

GERBY
3rd Nov 2008, 11:49
Nardi Riviera
Have looked up the Gardermoen Kulturpark web site and there is an actual picture of the item I am interested in.
The picture shows part of the polar passenger and crew survival pack. The yellow sleeping bag, is for three persons.
Did many polar flights in the 70s and 80s for a British Airline but our equipment never had sleeping bags.
Jolly good piece of equipment as long as curry hadnt been served on the flight!
Many thanks

Gerby

forget
3rd Nov 2008, 12:13
Survival packs. Years ago I was on a Thai International 747, Bangkok, Tokyo, San Francisco, and saw something I’d never seen before, or since.

In each seat pocket a clear plastic bag held a silver metallised overall, with hood. Instructions showed you how to put it on and fasten it. Surviving a ditching, or an off airport landing along the Aleutians was pretty unlikely and I decided the suits were there in the event of a winter diversion into a Soviet air base. The chances of heated arrivals halls would be nil and you’d be stuck on the aircraft - with engines shut down you’d freeze to death. Anyway, that was my conclusion, but it gave me a nice warm feeling about Thai’s planners –:ok: even without using the suit. I flew/had flown, the same route with SIA and PanAm, and they had nothing like it.

GERBY
3rd Nov 2008, 19:54
forget
Thanks for the information about the silver suits. I entirely agree with you concerning their use.
In the 70s I opperated on 707s on the polar route and as far as I can remember, only the crew had down filled polar suits to be used in case of a landing on the ice.
My survival manual is some where in the attick, but I seem to remember that it states that if a forced landing occured, passengers must be encouraged to use spare clothes from the luggage suit cases. The best bit was a section stating that carpet could be used to make extra clothes and foot covering.
I never had any trouble on the polar flights apart from some incredibly severe turbulance near to Iceland en route to LHR, which caused most of the Japanese passengers to wear their breakfast!!!!!