PDA

View Full Version : Nevermind the touchdown zone

Optimus-Prime
2nd Nov 2008, 14:51
Spectacular video, maybe a go-around would have been a good option too for the Finnair 75.. :uhoh:

Aviation Video: Various Aircraft - Various Airlines (http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Various_Aircraft-Airline_Various_Airlines_Aviation_Video-11009.html)

Avman
2nd Nov 2008, 15:20
Perhaps, but I guesstimate he still had a good 5000 feet of runway by the time he touched down. Finnair pilots are some of the finest around. A go-around would have been made had it been necessary. Nice place to watch the fun though.

Doors to Automatic
3rd Nov 2008, 15:39
That landing was way - way - down the runway. I'm amazed it didn't end in disaster - especially as there is a sheer drop at the end. If he had touched down within the first 5000ft I would be surprised.

There is absolutely no question that should have been a go around.

TopBunk
3rd Nov 2008, 16:23
Firstly, let me say that we don't know the circumstances. For example, the flight may have been at min fuel, and a go-around a less desirable option. As always, the captains judgement will override everything in the Ops Manuals, but he must justify any decisions he makes.

Purely from a viewpoint of the video, it would appear that the landing was made quite a way beyond the touchdown zone markings. That would cause me (as captain) quite some concern, as most factors in the landing data calculations assumes things like that!. At the end of the day, it goes to demonstrate what we get paid for - command decisions. We get them right to a very great degree, but defining the cut off point is not always black and white (there is usually no line painted/horn that sounds) and sometimes it is possible to make a decision that (given the opportunity) one would change. This may be one such occasion, but as I say, I don't know all the facts.

Flying Farmer
4th Nov 2008, 10:04
Not knowing the circumstances a difficult one to judge, but I would have thought a G/A prudent.

If he/she tried that at PLH they would have touched down in Tescos! :O

adverse-bump
4th Nov 2008, 19:07
If he/she tried that at PLH they would have touched down in Tescos!

If they had tried that at plymouth the wreck would have been in NQY! never mind the tesco's! (sainsbury's is better anyway - cheaper!!!)

Bring on the winter!

Flying Farmer
4th Nov 2008, 21:52
Bring on Winter, only 4 days left from PLH :ok: actually I will miss it!

adverse-bump
5th Nov 2008, 15:50
Yep, you will! the last 4 days were you can fly an airplane!