PDA

View Full Version : bmi/Lufthansa, BA/Iberia, Virgin isolated.... what happens next...?

Count von Altibar
2nd Nov 2008, 01:34
With the takeover of bmi by Lufthansa now underway, where does that leave the competition at Heathrow? It seems both BA and Virgin would like to have ownership of bmi but that now is clearly going to the German giant. In these hard times for aviation around the world it seems we have a 'bun-fight' on our hands here in the UK.

I believe that Mr Walsh will be actively seeking to buy directly from LH, and probably at nearly any price. Also, it seems that VS are keen to clinch a deal, seemingly out of desperation. The great UK aviation bun-fight is underway for those coveted Heathrow slots!

Debate...

5tarbuck
2nd Nov 2008, 01:07
There's a little green airline with lots of LHR slots.
They might be glad of an approach from the likes of Beardy right now.
Little Willly has a track record there that some would shun.

However, even he is preferable to...you know who....shudder.....!

EYZ
2nd Nov 2008, 05:18
I would not discount the Middle Eastern airlines too, down here in the desert the rumour is that Etihad is very keen on at least one European Airline, BMI is a strong rumour.
Right now they are in a strong position financially too, unlike Virgin or one or two others who are maybe still geting over the fuel prices.

hunterboy
2nd Nov 2008, 07:22
I suspect that the people that could answer your question are keeping their mouths shut! And shuttling around Europe looking for the best deal. As has been commented on earlier, LH mgmt have been seen at Waterside and I have no doubt BA have been putting feelers out too.

rebellion
2nd Nov 2008, 08:44
Perhaps this will put more pressure on VS than anything else.

Ryanair plans to fly under a new name from Stansted in Essex and Dublin, to Florida, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and New York.

Jet off to America for £8 | News | News Of The World (http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/article58733.ece)