PDA

View Full Version : lights over liverpool?

pabloc
1st Nov 2008, 20:19
About 6.30 tonight,i was in kirkby looking south when i spotted two individual very bright orange lights at about 4000ft no audible sound separated by 500ft flying east then slowly turning towards lpl. Anyone else see them????

The Flying Stool
1st Nov 2008, 22:21
Can I suggest that it is November 5th in a few days? Could it be some kind of parachute/flare?

Just a suggestion

pabloc
2nd Nov 2008, 14:23
must admit i did initially think it was flares,but they tracked horizontally then made a slow left turn in unison. They could have been helos but no noise!! As they tracked away they remained same alt and speed

chiglet
2nd Nov 2008, 18:20
pabloc,
Having worked in ATC [inc Liverpool] I know just how difficult it is to judge distance, height and separation during the day, let alone at night.
You say that you were in Kirkby, looking south. What you saw may, I repeat may have been two inbound a/c, several miles away with theit landing lights on.
As an aside, when we took UFO sighting reports, we used to ask for an angle from the horizontal, and a bearing from a landmark. Just to avoid any confusion. Hope this helps

dgutte
3rd Nov 2008, 13:24
From the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette, and describes the same 2 orange lights. Includes video:

‘UFOs’ spotted in the skies over Teesside - Gazette Live (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2008/10/24/ufos-spotted-in-the-skies-over-teesside-84229-22104100/)

pabloc
4th Nov 2008, 21:20
hi chiglet,these lights were orange and i could not see any anti collision,port & starboard lights and the turn in near unison was to perfect. (i know kirkby is roughly the MIRSI hold for manch).
With it being the night after halloween i will put it down to two large pumpkins on the back off witches broomsticks;)!!!!!!

wiccan
5th Nov 2008, 06:21
With it being the night after halloween i will put it down to two large pumpkins on the back off witches broomsticks
Sorry, but we are not allowed to fly over built up areas, [single engine] and definitely no naked lights, so it wasn't a pumpkin :ok:
bb

coldair
5th Nov 2008, 12:57
When trying to observe 'unusual' airborne activity it is VERY important to stop and remain in the same place, this applies when driving or walking.
Find a static reference point, a TV ariel or a tree, and watch how the object moves in relation to it. It is only too easy to 'see' a planet move when you are moving too.

There are a lot of strange things out there, chinese lanterns, stealth aircraft and indeed UFO's ie. just unidentified.

Providing you are static and it makes strange manouvers then it probably is not a conventional aircraft.

I have never seen anything strange as PIC but many professional pilots have. If you have a camcorder make sure that the auto focus is turned off, otherwise the object will appear to be growing and shrinking, which sadly many amateur UFO vids show.

This is a very interesting topic and I'd love to know what the 'Gurnsey' pilots saw.

Sir George Cayley
5th Nov 2008, 19:42
Helpful advice to video camera operators faced with UFO sightings.

Before pointing your camera look for the control that fixes focus at infinity.

How many "encounters" have we seen where auto focus renders the recording useless?

Having been "Jonny Head in Air" for 45 years I'm sorry to say I've seen loads of UFOs that 5 minutes later have become IFOs.

I've always said that when "they" arrive we won't need to watch Sky News.

Having said that, remember how long the F117A flew before it was publicaly acknowledged. So, think about what is up there now that we will learn about in the fuschia.

Sir George Caley

ps Mulder, Sculley, get yor asses over 2 Liverpool, England you got work 2 do!

matblack
7th Nov 2008, 00:10
Pabloc,

I saw them too from Wigan. It was near to bonfire night so I dismissed it . I went back outside after 15 mins or so and noticed they were still there. I assumed it must be some sort of new floating flare or something.

Jeffco
8th Nov 2008, 11:24
The sightings of two orange flame like objects in the sky are real.Myself and my wife saw them over Ormesby at approximately 19:55 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B4TN8zSiOyw#) on Friday 31st October 2008.They were heading slowly west and seemed to merge into one maybe one was above the other.

YouTube - UFO middlesbrough 12/10/08 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3RluKZyONWU)

YouTube - Morphing UFOs over Middlesbrough, UK. Startling Footage. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B4TN8zSiOyw)

magpienja
8th Nov 2008, 18:54
If I had to put money on it I would say parachute flares, I am in the Runcorn area and this time of year I see lots around nov 5th,

They do come down very slowly and burn very bright you can see them for many many miles on a clear night,

You say they were turning towards Liverpool, that could be explained by the fact that as they came lower in the sky the wind comes more from the left, there is around a 30deg difference from 3000ft down to 500ft.

Nick.

Sam-MAN
8th Nov 2008, 21:32
Chinese lantern things, see them all the time.

First few times I saw them I thought it was a UFO :}

Really hard to judge the distance at which they are as they are so small.

Sam

callum11223344
9th Nov 2008, 00:28
I saw them too from Wigan. It was near to bonfire night so I dismissed it . I went back outside after 15 mins or so and noticed they were still there. I assumed it must be some sort of new floating flare or something. wooo loyal wiganer!

Chrisbowe82
13th Nov 2008, 15:54
Having just watched that youtube video (Jeffco's) It was exactly the same thing I saw just over J20 on the M60 whilst parking up after work. I think it was 31/10. I watched them rise up, follow eachother and turn together. I'm pretty sure what I saw were Chinese lanterns, given the date as well, especially after waching them rise up -probably from someone's garden and continue to rise until too far away to be seen. I can see how it must have looked if nobody had seen where they come from as plenty or drivers and neighbours were watching them as well. I took a photo, but you can't make them out on it as already quite far away by that point. Shame. They did look EXACTLY the same colour and intensity as Jeffco's video, though.

Nick_H
14th Nov 2008, 12:03
Well the first Youtube video shows nothing.

Second video IMO shows an aircraft in a right hand bank....

adobebob
24th Nov 2008, 15:47
We have seen similar lights 3 times now. The first was a single orange light on the 22 July at 10.25pm, then the same again on 26 July at 9.50pm. The lights were orange and silent flying from the north east heading south west. They came to a hover roughly over Netherley before disappearing at great speed vertically. The same sort of lights were seen again 22 November, this time travelling east to west parallel to the M62. They again came to a hover over Netherley before disappearing vertically, This time there were two lights flying in formation just below cloud level, with one following the other. As they vanished a third light appeared along the same flight path. When this disappeared a further two lights appeared replicating the path of the first two lights. All five were silent and no navigation lights were visible. I have been observing aircarft for 35 years and have never experienced sightings like these before. I am certain they are not products of Boeing or Airbus!!

Ian L
25th Nov 2008, 12:59
I was in Liverpool during the first week of November. I also saw similar lights in the sky. They kept appearing as if by magic and shooting vertically into the sky. I watched them for about 3 hours. My carer tells me they were Fireworks. Where is Planet firework?

K.Whyjelly
25th Nov 2008, 16:17
Looks like the aliens are starting to upset the good folk of Birmingham as well now.........................:hmm:

UFO involved in a dramatic incident - Birmingham Mail (http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2008/11/21/ufo-involved-in-a-dramatic-incident-97319-22310179/)

pabloc
26th Nov 2008, 08:22
Ian L, it does not surprise me you have a carer as you are a manc!!!!;)

Ian L
26th Nov 2008, 14:55
We get spoilt in Manchester. We never get let out without our carer when there are strange lights in sky. Especially just after closing time.

Having said that, I did see Three strange white lights in the sky a couple of weeks ago. At first they seemed very close together. After a few minutes they started to move further and further apart. The closer they got to me the further they moved from each other. The only one that didn't move was the central one. Then as they got closer I could hear a low noise, this quickly built to a deafening roar. Turned out to be a KLM Fokker 100 on finals for 23R

But keep watching. There out there. KLM Fokkers I mean.

pabloc
26th Nov 2008, 17:05
Being a scouser,Fokkers tend to have a go at are chip shops!!??:ok:

Ian L
27th Nov 2008, 08:53
I always thought it was the Messer****s that got your chippys.
However, on a more serious note. I would hope that if we are being visited by alien craft that may have flown across half of the known universe, they would have the sense to switch the lights off.

Ian L
28th Nov 2008, 13:05
The weather this weekend is supposed to be cold and clear. So I think we should keep a close eye on the sky. who knows what we might see. If anyone sees Kang or Kodos, say hello.

drivez
29th Nov 2008, 10:54
There has been some praksters in North Wales over the past few months. Useing Chinese laterns attached to some sort of rope system. Very spectacular to watch and quite clever how they were managing the whole thing.

Local media went into frenzy you know the UFO!!!!:eek: headlines.
Maybe they just moved to new grounds, or someone has decided to copy them.

jan777
11th Feb 2009, 22:26
Hi'a
We live in Netherley also !
Last night 8pm-8.15ish load of people from Belle Vale to Netherley and Halewood saw the most unexplicable lights in the sky.
Hi there
Along with most of netherley we did see exactly the same as you are describing 2nite 10th feb 2009 around 8-8.30pm.
There were 4 orange lights in a row which disappeared behind cloud for a moment and then 2 of the orange lights re-appeared and one shot off in one direction moving all over the place changing direction every few seconds with the other and several smaller lights in another direction for a few minutes and then the second fell back in line behind the other surrounded by the little lights !
It was mad !
If you find out what it was please let us know as its got us all baffled
Thanx Jan

Nearly There
12th Feb 2009, 01:56
Where you at a party? and was Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds playing in the background?

Would love to have seen the Granada News interview if they landed, ' So why did you travel from another world to visit Netherley and Halewood' :p

Sunstar320
12th Feb 2009, 08:39
What an odd idea, sending chinese lanterns flying into the night sky...what on earth are people thinking and why would they be doing this.

Strange planet we live in.:hmm:

Rainboe
12th Feb 2009, 09:17
The lights were aliens coming looking for this 'Liverpool, City of Culture' nonsense. They were looking and looking................

I think all they found was a load of stolen bikes and rather a lot of cars without wheels.

barry lloyd
12th Feb 2009, 12:20
Rainboe:

Until now I had always believed that you were far too intelligent to indulge in worn-out stereotypes.

Nearly There
12th Feb 2009, 14:14
Yep, got to agree, stolen bikes and alloy wheels are so old school, guns drugs, car cloning and counterfeit goods are the choice criminal wage earners these days..

pabloc
13th Feb 2009, 20:51
Now Now Nearly There,i see your from cork,so if you want to have a pop at us scousers be ready for some stereotypical irish jokes,knockdowns etc,i've got millions!!!!!:)

Nearly There
14th Feb 2009, 08:13
Born and bred on Merseyside sorry, but il use the Irish jokes for the mrs!!
It was tongue in cheek, its the same story for every large city, just Id been home this week and unfortunately witnessed the anti social behaviour that gives the place a bad name..:(

The city looks great now, and Liverpool One the new developement of Chavass Park is excellent, with the Albert Dock and Echo Arena lit up in the background, and of course the 3 Graces, they look stunning with all the masonry cleaned.:ok:

Harlock24
1st Nov 2009, 00:10
My friend and I spotted fast moving orange light gaining altitude heading roughly south to north over Liverpool (Sefton Park area specifically) this evening - 8ish. Interestingly droplets appeared to occasionally fall from main light source. Wondered if it was some sort of rocket etc as appeared to be moving faster than plane and not tracking nap of earth?

Rainboe
1st Nov 2009, 08:56
Please- let's not have constant reports of these lanterns! I send many up myself with my grandchildren. You can buy them in boxes of 10. They are nearly 5 feet tall with a burner underneath that produces a rather large flame. It brightly illuminates the white tissue they are made from and are really entertaining to send off. What produces a certain additional frisson of pleasure is knowing that someone, somewhere, is frantically videoing it with their mobile phone and getting very excited. Others are convinced they have seen UFOs. When you send several up together, the wind makes them move in such a way that people think aeroplanes are turning upside down.

One day, we will be banned for sending them up for 'littering'! But in the meantime, they are great fun. Just remember the key is 'orange' and try and enjoy them for what they are- a bit of fun, not a visitation by aliens! Those daft alien science fiction dramas have a lot to answer for!

dubh12000
2nd Nov 2009, 07:32
Big red beachball?

Anyone?:}

chris_hambleton
8th Nov 2010, 11:37
Standing in Etherow Park (Stockport) on 31st Oct 2010 at around 19:30ish the night sky was clear and bright. I was following the various aircraft circling in for MAN when I noticed one orange light approaching from the West. This object had no other lights (nav, landing) and took about two minutes to cross the sky headed in an easterly direction. Judging by the silence and pace of the object I at first thought it was a satellite. However this thing was too big and as it passed directly overhead I got a really good look at it. It was basically on fire which would indicate to me that it was flaring in the upper atmosphere.

All rather puzzling. Definitely not a plane nor firework /incendieary device. The strangest thing.

Argonautical
8th Nov 2010, 12:39
I also saw something strange last night over Tamworth, Staffs. A bright orange "thing", flying (if that is the right word) below the cloud base and not making any noise at all. As it went by, it periodically gave off more lights in a fan shape. It was very strange indeed.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Nov 2010, 12:42
Chinese Lantern - we had 100 of them over our place a few weeks ago when there was a wedding reception nearby.

PPRuNe Pop
8th Nov 2010, 15:40
For around £4 a throw - or should I say light - they surely do bring out the fairies don't they? There were 20 of them over my pad last night 'cos I counted them in and I counted them out! Never saw them after about 8 or 9 hundred feet. They moved very quickly but I decided not to call the police! :D