PDA

View Full Version : Qantas pushes Boeing on 787-10 stretch

Wingz Clipd
1st Nov 2008, 01:04
Qantas pushes Boeing on 787-10 stretch

Niall O'Keefe Flight International 24/9/08

Qantas (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/index) is pressing Boeing (http://www.boeing.com/) to commit to developing the proposed 787-10 (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/boeing%20787.html) "double stretch", as the airline evaluates its long-term widebody needs.
Speaking at the airline's A380 (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/airbus%20a380.aspx) delivery event in Toulouse on 19 September, Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon and his successor designate Alan Joyce revealed that the airline was in "the early stage of talks" with Boeing on the 787-10 as well as with Airbus about the A350 XWB (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/airbus%20a350.aspx).
The 787-10 is a proposed stretched version of the -9, seating around 300 passengers, making it similar in size to the -200 variants of the 777 (http://www.flightglobal.com/landingpage/boeing%20777.html). Joyce, who was named as Dixon's successor in July, considers the 787-10 to be "a requirement", but acknowledges that Boeing is "not there yet".

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=18380

However, the airframer is looking to push the Australian carrier towards the 777-300ER, although Dixon indicates that this plan is unlikely to be successful. He says that the 777-300ER is not a player in Qantas's plans, although he acknowledges that it "is a player in Boeing's view of what our planning should be".

Qantas has instead focused its fleet strategy on what Joyce terms "step-change aircraft" such as the 787 and the A380, which is pitched as offering a 25% increase in efficiency and 20% lower maintenance costs.

Unless Boeing accedes to demands for a 787-10, Qantas is likely to place an order for the A350, with Dixon saying that it talks with Airbus on the twinjet are under way.

The 787-10 issue is not top of Qantas's agenda in talks with Boeing, with the possibility of further delays to the 787-8 and -9 due to the machinists' strike being a more pressing concern.

As the 787 is intended as "a growth aircraft" rather than a replacement one, further delays would not create a need for interim lift at Qantas. However, they would slow growth at a carrier that has benefited from the commodities boom and the relative strength of its domestic economy.

another superlame
1st Nov 2008, 22:37
Geez , lets wait and see the first 787 fly before hassling Boeing for more variants.

Going Boeing
2nd Nov 2008, 04:13
Qantas has a timeframe where aircraft of that capacity are required and if the Boeing product is to be ready in time then Boeing has to start the design work now - if they don't then there will be no choice but to buy the A350 (ie the Hyundai of the sky). Obviously, having a bigger variant of an aircraft type that will already be in service with the airline is preferrable to purchasing a totally different aircraft - costs are lower in crewing, training of engineers & crew, spares etc.

MACH082
2nd Nov 2008, 05:07
Having said that A330/350/380 will certainly be adventagous with many of these issues also.

When red tails are painted on the silver bullets add 320 to that list :P

Going Boeing
2nd Nov 2008, 06:42
Old technology Hyundais (A330's) are to be replaced by B787-9's plus they have a significantly different flight deck to the A380's & A350's. All variants of the B787 will have the same flight deck thus giving total flexibility wrt crewing

maggotdriver
2nd Nov 2008, 12:05
Going Boeing, have you actually flown an Airbus? Oh! by the way do you drive a Chevy or a Taurus?:eek:

The Bunglerat
2nd Nov 2008, 19:30
...Here we go again, the old "A v B" argument rears its head. It's almost as petty as the petrolheads who never stop arguing about Ford v Holden. They're both aeroplanes, they're both designed to do a job, and they do the job well enough. Get over it people.

Reeltime
2nd Nov 2008, 22:39
These beancounter idiots seem to think a 787-10 is some sort of replacement for the 400.

Their pigheaded refusal to purchase 777's because they're 'old technology', is leaving the airline with a massive problem..what to replace the 400's with.

The 787 is basically Boeings replacement for the 767.

The above mentioned beancounters thought the A330-300 had a longer range than the 200, 'coz it had a bigger number'.

Wingspar
3rd Nov 2008, 03:55
RT...

You certainly hit the nail on the head with that one!

Short_Circuit
3rd Nov 2008, 07:46
Boeings & Holdens, you just can't do better! :ok:

Going Boeing
3rd Nov 2008, 08:17
maggotdriver - hook, line & sinker.

The Bunglerat - "they do the job well enough" but the Boeings do most things a lot better ie climb rate, climb speed, crosswind landings etc.

Short Circuit - I totally agree.

maggotdriver
3rd Nov 2008, 08:56
Goeing Boeing. What's my moniker? Ah! I see....:ugh:

Now what do you drive? Bet you it's European......with personalised numberplates!!! This should be fun!!:p

Going Boeing
3rd Nov 2008, 09:17
I fly Boeings and drive Holdens (standard number plates) - no Korean crap here.

IAW
3rd Nov 2008, 09:39
Interesting that you mention Holdens and Koreans together considering they just rebadge Daewoos for the Aussie market these days.

Going Boeing
3rd Nov 2008, 09:56
IAW, I understand that the Captiva, Epica and Barina models are made in the former Daewoo plant in Korea, but are "Western" designs not rebadged Daewoos.

I don't drive any of those models.

Apologies for the thread drift.

maggotdriver
3rd Nov 2008, 10:01
I don't care what they are, but if the 787 is as far advanced on the Airbuses of today as they were on the 737,747,767 of their day than I'm sure it will be a great machine. Even better than a Gemini of the same era! Fuel injection, what fuel injection?;)

BackdoorBandit
3rd Nov 2008, 21:17
Yes, Holden fanatics certainly do have a blind faith in their product.

When I see over 50% of the taxi fleet with a holden badge - I will change my view.

Going Boeing
3rd Nov 2008, 21:27
BDB, whilst Ford actively supports the Taxi industry, Holden is the opposite. They believe that the status of their vehicles become devalued if used as Taxis so they do not provide any discounts or incentives.

Now back to the B787-10.

Keg
3rd Nov 2008, 21:28
ROFLMAO. The reason that you don't see many Holden's as taxi's is due to a decision a number of years ago to not pursue that market and therefore to not offer a 'taxi pack'. Holden reasoned that it wasn't the image it was looking for and it did bugger all for their profits.

The question should be which is the preferred car for Hire Car operators. I think you'll find the Statesman and the Caprice to be the weapon of choice.

As to the choice of aircraft, Boeing forever! :ok:

ACMS
4th Nov 2008, 03:06
Yep Holden certainly is the weapon of choice for Hire Car operators. Just take a look at QF arrivals in Sydney to see that. Hundreds of Black Holdens everywhere. :ok:

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
4th Nov 2008, 04:46
No option for the hire car operators, now that there's only one choice of LWB car made in Australia.

I'm told that not many have the dough, and if they do, can't justify the extra to buy LWB imports.

Poor beggars; driving a Holden for a living must be nearly as bad as having to fly a Boeing for a living!!!!:E