PDA

View Full Version : Man down

mephisto88
31st Oct 2008, 14:38
Steve, I hope you come through this OK and wish you a speedy recovery.
Thoughts are with you and your family at this time.
You are a great guy and no doubt others will join me in wishing you well.
My condolences to the family of Mr Davies.

For those who haven't heard, some links below.

Evening News 24 - Norfolk media executive dies in aircraft crash (http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NewsSplash&itemid=NOED30%20Oct%202008%2011%3A10%3A58%3A190)

Christen Eagle II Aerobatic Biplane (http://www.christen-eagle.com/)

EDP24 - Investigation begins into fatal air crash (http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=NewsSplash&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=NOED30%20Oct%202008%2021%3A10%3A14%3A307)

Sheko
31st Oct 2008, 15:32
I second what Mephisto88 says above.

I've flown lots of times with Steve and he is a top bloke,so hang in there Steve with best wishes for your recovery; so sorry to hear the news about your oppo. Look forward to seeing you back at "Tea o'clock" on the street.

Sheko.

C172Driver
31st Oct 2008, 17:14
Flown with Steve several times and is an absolute top bloke, did some of my line training. Hope you pull through.
Condolence to Ian Davies family and friends.

Cpt. Underpants
31st Oct 2008, 21:50
Rooting for you Steve - you're a top bloke. I'll never forget that you introduced me to Bill Bryson's writings - a real source of pleasure since.

Sleeve_of_Wizard
31st Oct 2008, 23:49
A real tragedy. Get well soon Steve...................

Liam Gallagher
1st Nov 2008, 00:11
Top guy.... get well real quick......

Composite Man
1st Nov 2008, 03:54
A true gentleman and a passionate aviator. Get well soon Steve.

mephisto88
2nd Nov 2008, 04:49
Steve, glad to hear you are still hanging in there.
For those interested, I understand he is critical, but stable at present, has already had some surgery, with more to come. I can pass on a contact number of the person co-ordinating visits for anyone wishing to do so if they wish to pm me.

A thread on the Private Flying forum also had the following from "Stiknruda":
My thoughts are with Collette, Francesca and Josh and I am really rooting for Steve, my best friend. His family are being well supported as they continue their vigil at Addenbrookes. He is being ventilated and is due for the next in a series of operations on Monday.

daisy120
2nd Nov 2008, 17:36
Collective prayers from all the team, bus colleagues et al. The Eagle can be replaced old chap...you can't and we all need to see you in the Old Buck circuit again... hurry through and God's speed.

Hellenic aviator
4th Nov 2008, 04:58
Steve, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hang in there mate, don't give up the good fight - wishing you a speedy recovery.

My sincerest condolences to Ian Davies' Family for their loss.

Mr. Bloggs
4th Nov 2008, 05:07
I did not see an update on how Steve is doing? How is he doing???? It's been a couple of days. He has had a couple of ops.
Updates if anyone knows.

Regards
Mrs. Bloggs:)

stiknruda
4th Nov 2008, 09:42
Saw Steve yestaerday afternoon - he still looks just like Sean Connery (according to P!).

He's still unconscious and expected to stay that way for a week/10days. The issue being that when they reduce levels of sedative, his cranial pressure increases. It is expected that with continued rest the pressure will subside naturally and sedative levels can be reduced to the point of consciousness.

He shook off a fever on Sunday and underwent 5.5 hours of op on his burns yesterday. He has a couple of spinal fractures.

He is not out of the woods but each day is a new day.

P and the boys aware of the amount of good feeling and vibes from this forum. I thank you all on their behalf.

Stik

rekrek
4th Nov 2008, 10:09
Get well soon Steve!!

Jn14:6
4th Nov 2008, 10:24
Praying for you Steve.
Get well soon.
Top Bloke.

SFGDOG
4th Nov 2008, 10:25
Get well soon Steve. You are a true gentleman and a pleasure to work with.

Cyprus
4th Nov 2008, 13:50
I would also like to add my best wishes for Steves speedy recovery, a finer bloke would be difficult to find anywhere, one of the best. Steve has been more than helpfull to me with refs/info relating to my line of work over the years, get well soon old boy ....

My sincere condolences go to Ian's family and friends too.

Cyprus.

mephisto88
5th Nov 2008, 10:18
Busdude, plse check yr private(xxxx.co.uk) e-mail - apologies for the delay in replying.

broadband circuit
5th Nov 2008, 14:06
Thanks for the update Stiknruda, keep them coming.

It's good to hear that there is a positive outlook for him. Give him the best regards of all the chaps when he wakes up.

Five Livers
5th Nov 2008, 15:05
Get well soon Shuttie

AdrianShaftsworthy
5th Nov 2008, 16:39
I've had the priviledge of knowing Shutty since 1977 when we joined Yuas together. Met on the train from Leeds on way down to Donny, (mutual short haircuts gave the game away), and we hit it off straight away.

An absolute ace guy in every way with a wonderful family. Recent events have come as a terrible shock for us all and our thoughts are with them. But one thing is for sure. Shutty has always been and always will be a fighter. So I have every confidence the old bugger will pull through and live to fly another day.

Get well soon Skullduggery. Looking forward to our next ale sesh with compulsory tales of daring-do. Ruffo

Condolencies to the family of Mr Davies.

stiknruda
6th Nov 2008, 07:53
P and the boys remain strong and focussed and are being well supported by friends.

Steve had more surgery yesterday (in excess of 7hrs) to change dressings and do more skin graft work . Went well by all accounts.

He had a change of medication on Tuesday and this has significantly reduced the inter-cranial pressure (ICP). There was some discussion about reducing the level of sedation but this is not yet assured.

He is due for more burns related surgery tomorrow.

All in all good steady progress.

Keep it up matey!!

Stik

daisy120
6th Nov 2008, 13:09
Stik...keep us updated can you? Pass on our best wishes to Steve and his family from all the guys here!!

stiknruda
10th Nov 2008, 10:07
Steve had a fairly quiet w/e. Is in theatre as I type - more burns work and a potential tracheotomy as he started to chew through the intubation pipes!

Keep it up matey!

Stik

stiknruda
11th Nov 2008, 07:20
Steve had 5 hrs of surgery yesterday - new dressings and the tracheotomy as alluded to. He is due back Fri for new dressings.

His sedative was reduced last night and mid evening he opened his eyes twice for about 3 mins each time. Family v excited! He may have had more sedative reintroduced last night to stop movement until the back injuries have been fully assessed.

Progress!

mephisto88
11th Nov 2008, 22:38
Keep it up Steve, good to hear, we're all still wishing you well.

Stik - many thanks from afar - we're grateful for the first hand info - as opposed to the usual rumours that this site is infamous for.

Get well soon buddy.

stiknruda
12th Nov 2008, 09:34
Steve still yawning and blinking! The surgeon does not expect much change during the next few days - still scheduled for more burns work on Fri.

Family feeling quite positive but it is still early days and they are aware of that.

Looking fwd to our first post crash pint together Shutty!

Stik

stiknruda
15th Nov 2008, 22:45
No new news!

But back to the top!!!

Come on Shutty - Canberra/Jag/Italian train dits all needed. Dig deep N2!

Chipmunk Janie
16th Nov 2008, 00:06
Thanks for the update Stik. I'm praying like mad for him.

stiknruda
17th Nov 2008, 07:47
Steve had an MRI scan Fri - results were inconclusive (lack of clarity). He is due another on Wed.

Still critical. Family bearing up as well as can be expected.

Stik

stiknruda
18th Nov 2008, 18:50
The following is extracted from the "friends and families" daily update that is circulated:

Paula has now met with the clinical team to discuss the results of the
MRI scan. The lead neurologist has assessed that the damage to Steve's
brain is massive and irreparable. The decision has been made to
withdraw all medical treatment with exception of pain relief. It is
not expected that Steve will survive until tomorrow.

Typically with Steve, he has made plans to help others, and his organs
will be used to help those able to use them lead a normal life.

Onthe words of one of Steve's nurses,
"It's time to let him fly."

Paula is aware of the support shown from this forum and cleared the above wording.

Paula rang me at lunchtime and invited me to come and say goodbye. I feel very privileged to have been counted amongst his friends. There were about 20 people at Addenbrookes this afternoon. Paula and boys bearing up remarkably well after an incredibly harrowing 3 weeks.

Will post details of the funeral as soon as it is confirmed.

Provisional date: 28Nov09

RIP friend.

Stik

OldChinaHand
18th Nov 2008, 19:20
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Rest In Peace my friend.

Frogman1484
19th Nov 2008, 00:02
RIP Mate...trully saddened by this.

mephisto88
19th Nov 2008, 00:06
The passing of one of our own is never easy. I can only hope that if the suffering of his family and friends, can be eased just a little, in the knowledge of how much he is liked and respected, and how greatly he will be missed, then our hopes, thoughts and prayers for him will not have been in vain.
My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with both you and your family.

May you finally rest in peace.

I'll miss you mate.

PanZa-Lead
19th Nov 2008, 03:41
Steve..we will miss you mate. It was fun flying with you. All the best wishes to the Family...

Cpt. Underpants
19th Nov 2008, 05:27
Shattered to hear the news. Steve, it was a privilege and a pleasure knowing you.

Jn14:6
19th Nov 2008, 10:14
God Bless Shutty.
You'll be missed.
R.I.P.

muddweller
19th Nov 2008, 10:56
One of the best. Sorry to read the latest update. One of my first flights with CX was with Steve as relief FO back in '97. My best regards to his family....
Muddy.

charliemil
19th Nov 2008, 11:55
So very very sorry to hear this news. My deepest sympathy to all the family. Shutty, you were a true officer and a gentleman and I feel privileged to have flown with you and to have enjoyed your company on many occasions.
You will be missed.... God rest matey.
Charliemil

Sleeve_of_Wizard
19th Nov 2008, 12:19
It was always great to fly with you Steve, may we meet again someday.
Condolences to all the Family and friends of a true gentleman.

R.I.P

Busdude
19th Nov 2008, 13:11
I was extremely saddened to hear of your passing, Shutty. You were a good man and friend. I will miss your stories at the pub and banter on the flight deck. I am honoured to have met you. My deepest sympathies to your family. R.I.P

cx251
19th Nov 2008, 13:51
Dear Paula and boys.
We are utterly devastated at this news. Steve was a fantastic guy and a real charmer.
We are thinking of you all!!!

RIP

Flying Bagel
19th Nov 2008, 15:12
Lots of good people gone away this year. Hope you rest in peace Steve.

C172Driver
19th Nov 2008, 15:15
It is sad that it has come to this. You were a true gentleman and great to fly with. Thanks for teaching me in my early S/O days.
Condolences to Paula and the family.

tekling
19th Nov 2008, 16:56
Godspeed Shutty.
You were, and always will be one of the top blokes in aviation. The whole flying community, especially the RAF and Cathay, will be all the poorer without you. Where-ever you're off to now, mate, Go in Peace.

Heartfelt condolences to Paula and all the family. There's very little anyone can say to ease the pain, but you're all in our hearts and prayers.

Rest in peace Old Friend.

oxbridge
19th Nov 2008, 18:35
Steve,

It has been an honour and a privilege to have known you for the past 26 years and to count you as a close friend. As an officer, a gentleman and a true aviation professional you will always give the rest of us something to aspire to.

You will be sorely missed.

To Paula and family I add my own heartfelt condolences and rest assured there are many of us out here who are looking out for you.

daisy120
20th Nov 2008, 02:09
Just back from computer desert in the Pyranee and got the latest. Steve..you gotta be in the best place now pal..but hey...we really wanted you back here. What next? Life sucks and its kinda empty without you here...at least you ran with the bulls and stuck the neck out when all the others just vacillated. You are and will always be a star, RIP mon brave...was a privaledge. Festina lentae.

daisy120
20th Nov 2008, 02:13
Paula and Stik...thanks for all the updates and you will never really know the support from the flight deck that he had throughout this ordeal but suffice to say, as he sits with Ian we will get incredibly pissed as we reflect on a life that Steve seized by the scruff. RIP mon Brave. God's speed and guide as you see fit...God knows..we need it!!

Justiciar
20th Nov 2008, 07:34
I only knew Shutty for a little over a year through buying a share in G-EGUL. What a tremendous person who despite our short acquaintance I thought of as a true friend. The world is a much emptier place now. As always in such awfult times our thoughts turn to those left behind and especially to Paula, who we only met for the first time a few short weeks ago, and to all Shutty's family. Our thoughts are with you.

Julian & Tess

stiknruda
20th Nov 2008, 07:48
Steve slipped away peacefully in the wee hours of this morning with Paula and the boys present.

He is already sorely missed and has left a gaping hole in many hearts. Mrs Stik and my hearts go out to Paula nd their two wonderful boys.

Some folk leave this planet and almost immediately there is no evidence of their time here. Shutty's size 10 bootprints will be visible on most continents for decades to come!

RIP my friend

Al & Anna

744drv
20th Nov 2008, 10:08
So sad to hear of your passing Shutty. Will miss your boyish good humour and wiley grin.

My thoughts are with you Paula, I share your loss and trust that find an inner strength during the coming months. He will be sorely missed by all.

GW

NoseGear
20th Nov 2008, 10:16
Several years ago as a new S/O, Steve did a couple sectors training with me, and I had the priviledge of flying with him once again after that....it says alot of the man that I only met him a few times, but he left a lasting impression on me as a professional and a lovely man. I just wanted to pass on my condolences to his family and I hope that you find some comfort in the high regard we all held him in.

Rest In Peace.

Cyprus
20th Nov 2008, 10:34
My sincere condolences go to Paula and the boys, my thoughts are with you.

Rest in peace Steve, you were one of the best and a pleasure to know.

Neil.

chinabus
20th Nov 2008, 11:11
To Paula and family my sincere condolences.
The World has lost a true gentleman and aviation a real professional.
RIP Steve

stiknruda
20th Nov 2008, 21:23
Dates have slipped right,

Tentatively 1st/2nd Dec.

Will post when confirmed.

Stik

NormaSpartz
20th Nov 2008, 23:24
Farewell mate, a sad and tragically early departure. Pity the poor bugger that gets your liver!!

SFGDOG
21st Nov 2008, 08:55
RIP Steve. You will be missed. We are all better for having known you.

Cpt. Underpants
21st Nov 2008, 13:25
Would any one of Steve's close mates be able to put a book of condolence in dispatch? There are many who like to say a few words but prefer not to do it here.

daisy120
21st Nov 2008, 15:24
CU...good and respectable suggestion, can we look at fllet getting that together possibly. I am in Euro at the mo about to opertate back to the motherland...and yes, in tragedy there has to be humour(no pun intended) but I second the donar liver comment!! Steve would have chuckled tho!!

stiknruda
22nd Nov 2008, 07:28
Funeral now confirmed.

1400z Hingham Church, Norfolk then on to Orgasmic Cafe Bar in Norwich.

pm if you need help with acco/ ground transport.

Stik

NormaSpartz
22nd Nov 2008, 08:35
What date is that Stik?

stiknruda
22nd Nov 2008, 23:18
I am privy, yet loathe to publish the URL of the Steve's funereal Blog. I just know how absurd he would consider the last three words of the previous sentence!!

Local press have been anything but sensitive, so...

Should you desire access - PM me with credentials and I'll revert as soon as I can. The family's desire is that it becomes a repository for pix and dits.

Stik

icarusone
23rd Nov 2008, 01:12
Thus is the earth at once a desert and a paradise, rich in secret hidden gardens, gardens inaccessible, but to which the craft leads us ever back, one day or another. Life may scatter us and keep us apart; it may prevent us from thinking very often of one another; but we know that our comrades are somewhere "out there" - where, one can hardly say-silent, forgotten, but deeply faithful. And when our path crosses theirs, they greet us with such manifest joy, shake us so gaily by the shoulders! Indeed we are accustomed to waiting.

Bit by bit, nevertheless, it comes over us that we shall never again hear the laughter of our friend, that this one garden is forever locked against us. And at that moment begins our true mourning, which, though it may not be rending, is yet a little bitter. For nothing, in truth, can replace that companion. Old friends cannot be created out of hand. Nothing can match the treasure of common memories, of trials endured together, of quarrels and reconciliations and generous emotions. It is idle, having planted an acorn in the morning, to expect that afternoon to sit in the shade of the oak.

So life goes on. For years we plant the seed, we feel ourselves rich; and then come other years when time does its work and our plantation is made sparse and thin. One by one, our comrades slip away, deprive us of their shade.

Wind, Sand and Stars, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Rest in peace.

stiknruda
2nd Dec 2008, 07:22
At 1400z today, Steve starts his final journey. He is to be buried in the village church where he and his family live.

Wx permitting, fly-bys by a 4 ball Typhoon formation and a lone Spitfire.

Then into town for a serious ale session.

He is missed already.

Stik

mephisto88
3rd Dec 2008, 00:46
Steve, you were a larger than life character, and I felt privileged to be your friend.
The volume of comments on this site should indicate well how many others also felt towards you.
You may gone, but you will not be forgotten, rest well.

Farewell my friend, I'll catch you in a few years - it’s your round!

daisy120
3rd Dec 2008, 19:14
Two Typhoons and the Spit, simply awesome. The missing man break off and the tighter than life turns by the mark 15... can life be measured by the send off, of airborne hardware? If so, then Baldilocks was legend. The wake. THE WAKE! The squadron icons opened up the gates of 41. You were there my friend, I think we saw a glimpse of that smile.It was fleeting but we caught a smirk in the bar, somewhere between 'sweet chariot' and 'hairs on the dicki dido'. Baggley got a long shot and a little guy with a bell, held the spirit of you.History hit the wake and the wake was you. Squadron albums, pixels with hair, the moustache at high speed and your infectious self. You woke the retired and they smiled at your metre and with the recall of hero, we cried the tears of the living.
G-ARAT flew in lessor hands. Today of days, in yesterdays wake of the bold, to see your stiring. You were fine, unseen from the sentinel of flowers but resting well my friend. I'll check again and tell the truth. The Norfolk fields looked well today where your crib of life laid soul top spare. But there's ample space, more than we can fill, now given to you and your extraordinary life... farewell.