PDA

View Full Version : Etihad-The worlds best training centre?

Etihadghostrider
31st Oct 2008, 05:51
Etihad keeps trying to tell itself it is the worlds best airline. Has anyone been to the training centre? 2 years now and the parking lot is still dirt and gravel. But I see they are paving the head office parking lot already. The pilots lounge is a JOKE! A couple of fold down tables and a kettle to boil water. No charts/plates are provided, you have to bring your own. Outdated or no FCOMS/QRH. None of that matters though because they just bought another award at the "World Travel Awards"

astronaute
31st Oct 2008, 09:51
What a joke the training center ! To be the best Airline in the world ,Etihad need,before, to be the best employer in the world !!! :{

There are no QRHs in the Sim, or if any , some pages are missing.

The Cabin Crew lounge is far better equipped than the pilot one with selfservice food machines and coffe/tea. :ugh:

shortfuel
31st Oct 2008, 13:31
What to say...if only our lounge was half as good as the Fit2Fly Club in Jazeera.

Some people are just missing the details here...how much does it cost to pay an office boy to take care of the documentation, charts...etc

WERNERTHEGREAT
2nd Nov 2008, 12:40
I cannot believe how long we have been running these sims with the wrong QRH not even applicable to type. Now we print out our own Charts? Whats next? Are managers that focused on their end of service bonus.

500 bus pilots print out over 50 pages each so that we can have current approach plates in the sim. What a load of crap! whos in charge in the training department please get this fixed. Not even 4 months ago the company was worried about printing out colour coppies for our preflight weather package for flights out of Abu Dhabi because of cost.

Get it together TOP GUN:D

camelbreath
2nd Nov 2008, 17:14
If its that bad why doesnt someone inform the GCAA :confused: Im sure they would be interested in a Confidential report!

airpilot_A3xx
2nd Nov 2008, 17:59
Etihadghostrider, you are Sooo acclimatized,:}:} the academy was opened in mid Jan 2008….. :rolleyes:

Sir Osis of the river
2nd Nov 2008, 18:27
A3XX,

Correction,

We were using it in June 2007!! Had to take our own food and water and CHARTS.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I am sure if GCAA did an audit now, the Sims would be closed. The documentation is shocking!!

EY346Driver
2nd Nov 2008, 19:15
3xx it is totally un-professional to operate the training facility the way it is; period.

If we can afford brand new sims we certainly can afford a set of up to date Jepps charts in each one. It is not only the right thing to do, it's also a legal requirement.

chrispatrickGA
3rd Nov 2008, 06:22
some pilots have been already complaining to gcaa according to some emirati new joiners... i HOPE all the management is well informed about the case!!!!:rolleyes:

Tintin
3rd Nov 2008, 06:50
Is there any " quebecois " left in EY??

SandDragon
3rd Nov 2008, 07:59
hey guys remember when we had transport to the sim .
I guess they took it away because nobody really used it, but did they have to cancel the arrangement with the TAXI company Algahazal .
Remember we had a discount to the airport now its history WHY !

we don not have enough parking space and if you did buy a 2 car now you have a headache where to park it .

Everybody came to do what they enjoy doing FLY , not worry about silly parking space or transportation to airport .

Company is just making life miserable .

Does anyone no what is going on with our friends that are fighting for their 50 day vacation slots .

If company gets away with this , we all will have something coming sooner or later ,so we better support our collleagues .

safe flying guys

Chandler Bing
3rd Nov 2008, 14:16
Look at the sim and the way we operate them and look at the Quebecois' in the training, you will see no difference nice from far but far from nice, and from anything up to standards in many areas by the way.
Don't know why they hired them in training. these guys are pretending to be in the office , whereas they are in leave, busy gossiping or chasing the few morrocan cabin crews left in EY.......
Why don't we hire guys with experience to do the job ?

Nooooooooooooo!!!!
Better hire Cessna 152 pilots who can become the fuses anytime soon , but in the meantime, the job isn't done.

Better spend loads of dirhams paying fellow direct entry instructors from TFC, than putting ad hoc charts in the sim, and have a decent lounge.

Mediocrity transfered from fleet management , which is now up to standards to training which remains the biggest scandal here, with accomodation, with medical, with rostering, with lies........
People are leaving and there is no secret why

icarus sun
3rd Nov 2008, 17:27
If you hire in instructors it costs more,what with commission hotac etc.Its cheaper to have own instructors.:ugh:

Etihadghostrider
3rd Nov 2008, 21:34
The top notch facilities in the pilot lounge...
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/richardhill_2008/09262008-1.jpg

sec 3
3rd Nov 2008, 22:57
Good one Casper !!! Still laughing my ass off ! But sadly, it is an actual picture of the facilities in the EY pilot's lounge. Best airline in the world ?.........

Mike Tuck
4th Nov 2008, 00:36
Yes its nearly Chistmas, no presents though. You guys have no idea. The facilities you showed are luxurious compaired to Twatar Airways. Leave Etihad and come to our 5 star airline.

zero CRM
4th Nov 2008, 06:51
And now its time to announce the award for the best flight crew lounge of the year.Ladies and gentlemen the award goes to the one and only "ETIHAD AIRWAYS" :D:D:D

Oxidant
4th Nov 2008, 14:38
Well, the picture shows a vast & welcome improvement......There were no cups on my last visit......................:rolleyes:

Toubob
4th Nov 2008, 17:48
Classic Ghostrider;

But in all fairness you forgot to mention that the lounge has wireless internet.

The sims look great though now. No more 1/4 inch of dust on them. They used my idea to seal the bottoms of the garage doors. Just like my villa, they bought that expanding foam from ACE to fill in the cracks around the doors to keep the dust out. "See how the sims shine now".

A billion dollars in sims and they built a clapboard structure to house them. Remember this summer when the interior temp in the sims was 40c! The cooling water came from to far away and the academy robbed AC from the sims cause all the new F/A's where giving the muttawa dirty thaoughts with their wet white shirt contests.

CAA must be shaking their heads in Montreal. I would love to have a beer with A CAA tech to hear what they have to say about our "worldclass training Facility"

What a tragedy we have...

Mediocre managers making poor decisions. Excellent ,crew cockpit and cabin, trying to carry the load.

C'est la vie dans la merde!

Cheers.

Happy Flying

.Aero
4th Nov 2008, 18:05
Styrofoam cups? Jeez.

I've seen better tea/coffee making facilities at UAE ministries!

ghostrider, got anymore pics to upload? :}

Chandler Bing
6th Nov 2008, 10:01
TRAINING?

The kind that doesn't fail anyone ?

The kind that promotes yesmen to be sure to keep their own seat ?

The kind that accepts anything from upper management ?

The kind that can be corrupted with a coffee machine ?

The kind that can sell their ass for AED 2000 ?

The kind that almost fail their own SIM check or line check ?

The kind that violates minimums of many kinds ?

Welcome to EY Training Dream world

triple sec
6th Nov 2008, 11:07
send complaints to the documentation manager about the state of the sim books, he is the one who is responsible for the upkeep of the sim and aircraft documentation, it is his responsiblity to keep all manuals uptodate and fully revised. If enough of us send him an email maybe he will get of his lazy a##e and do something about it. copy in your fleet chief so they know our concerns. Has anyone complained to PM or NS, if so what did they say.

longshot
8th Nov 2008, 10:25
EY:s B777 training and SOP;s are in shambles. I recently went thru initial line line training and simulator and and found it a very chaotic experience ! Instructors seem to do their own thing and not one of them operate to any common theme, SOP:s, and many of them seem unaware of Boeing FCTM guidance. I dont blame the individual instructors but more so the B777 training department and management who seem to have taken a very much hands off approach to their positions. How often do they have instructor meetings and what they talk about ?? Dont get me wrong, they line guys are good guys but I find EY's B777 operation more of a social boys club with an airline attached ! EY needs a professional B777 management, especially in view of the avalance of aircraft inbound 2011 and beyond....No idea about the EY AB side but would be curious to hear if similar issues there..

Not registered
8th Nov 2008, 11:17
EY is sponsoring ferrari, harlequins , building stadiums etc all nice pr but don't look inside the trainig centre :ok:

Coffee cups and 3 spoons are used by security and BY every Joe blow that passes by .....lcd tv's that can't be seen from the back rows are 12000 dhns instead of getting 3000 dhms projectors ...windows are half way in one room half in another... its a joke .:{.someone has pocketed nice amounts ...mr. 5%...during sand storm sims were covered in dust doors dont fit ...and the list goes on ... and evp's make 250,000 per month ..go figure:uhoh::confused:

shortfuel
8th Nov 2008, 14:26
Let's compare to Emirates/CAE facilities in DXB:

http://nsa03.casimages.com/img/2008/11/08/081108042346641995.jpg (http://www.casimages.com)

http://nsa03.casimages.com/img/2008/11/08/081108042555898878.jpg (http://www.casimages.com)

oops, there's nothing to compare.

EY training management, wake up! Every details count! Yes you can!

noflare
9th Nov 2008, 08:37
Hey Longshot & Desert_Storm

What a load of rubbish!...yes the 777 is far from perfect and certain areas do need to be tightend up. However you guys are way off the mark, as a non Malaysian I have found the SOPs to be very close to Boeing, and the Fleet Mgrs are very approachable professional people.
I have had some excellent Instructors both in the simulator and on the line, and I have met no one who is out to make life difficult.

I really dont think anyone gives a toss what method you use to calculate an ETP providing its accurate!

Maybe its your lack of ability that needs to be looked at! :rolleyes:
Did you pass the training?

As for the EY training centre now that is very poor...

desert_knight
9th Nov 2008, 09:26
Hmmmm.

Shortfuel, nice pictures of the EK/CAE JV facilities, however, remember EK crews aren't supposed to use them!

We have our own (much more modest) facilities.

Togalk
9th Nov 2008, 09:32
Desert Knight, how do you think that comment is going to help the cause at EY? I have been to the Dubai facilities lots and have seen EK crew there everytime.

shortfuel
9th Nov 2008, 12:28
Same comment... I may have seen several renegade EK crews using those facilities or was it a mirage (very usual in this region...)

Back to the thread...even Egyptair facilities in Cairo are better than Etihad's! (no offence to our colleagues)

purple
9th Nov 2008, 15:20
"noflare"

I tend to agree with you. I had some very good instructional experience on the Triple and most of its procedures are closely related to Boeing.
Most of the instructors and crew are from an airline background with more than at least 8 to 9 years (I guess) on the Triple and I had no problems in my training.

Yes, there are a few grey areas, but what can you expect from an airline that is only 5 years old with the Triple being just over 2 yrs in service?

Perhaps those who had problems, need only to look at themselves!:ooh:

As for Longshot and Desert_Storm, "to be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge". This famous old saying is perhaps what you seek to shed some light in your cells and hopefully get you through!!!:ok:

astronaute
9th Nov 2008, 18:53
And don t forget , in the EK pilots' lounge, the food and drinks are free of charges !

Willie Everlearn
9th Nov 2008, 20:20
So, how does one apply to EY for a sim instructor position???
They have nothing on their website.
Pilot positions are posted but blatently AGE biased.
:confused:

tomuchwork
9th Nov 2008, 20:37
Bah, you guys are still there so obviously it isn't that bad.

Got it and point taken?! There is always work around the world, as well in bad times like now. Do not make the company responsible, you decided to join them and provide your knowledge and expertise to them. Do not blame them what they are and what they always have been.

Slowly I am getting sick of all this ME whiners threads...

kamaciwa
10th Nov 2008, 05:36
The ETOPS procedures to calculate the ETP. Really would like to know if this malasyan airlines procedures is legal and also, why in hell we have to do that since we have an NOC with computers that can calculate that in less than 2 seconds and send that info directly to the cockpit

Beunos Dias Dessert Storm,
Why do u really need to call NOC when u hv multi million dollar machine that can do the work for u in 2 mins at no cost. U think NOC can give u in 2secs... try 30mins my friend. Maybe where u come from other people will do all the work for u and u get the money. But u get angry when they say u are such a spoiled bunch of primadonas.
Is it illegal? hmmmm... Do you know anything about ETOPS or someone else learn it for you.

Lo siento por ti DS
Que tengan un buen día.....Hasta luego

Tflexmax
14th Nov 2008, 08:20
The only positive thing out of the 777 ground school training was the performance course. Now that's a guy that knows his stuff. Keep up the good work.

pool
14th Nov 2008, 10:20
purple said:

Yes, there are a few grey areas, but what can you expect from an airline that is only 5 years old with the Triple being just over 2 yrs in service?

What a load of rubbish. Passengers couldn't give a toss about such a silly argument. They want well trained crew irrespective of the airlines' age.
Managers, audits, certifications are here to guarantee that there are no grey areas.

I know we are in the ME, that EY is running like madmen after the big brother and anything works to achieve that. The regulator is just down the road and is a cousin of the uncle, so they look away. But you as pro should never condone such substandard behavior.

Chandler Bing
14th Nov 2008, 10:52
True !!!!

How long will we listening to the same answer : Etihad is a young airline.....
What a joke, with that much government funds, EY has no excuse.
They could have hired the most efficient people worldwide, but no, instead they hire second hand, left-overs by other airlines, so happy to let them go away......

Recently, a canadian instructor wrote to the entire management about quality of training, following a recurrent training.
No need to say that it was no pleasant letter.
Seems to be an earthquake there, will he be fired ??? as Ey usually answers ?

Wait and see

Bus429
15th Nov 2008, 07:22
Funny, I ran a few maintenance-related courses there last week and the week before. Although the car park was rather unkempt, I thought the facilities such as the cafeteria and training rooms were not too bad; seen and used worse.
Had a lot of trouble with transport to/from city.