PDA

View Full Version : Lost bag probability

Evening Star
29th Oct 2008, 19:56
What is the probability of the same bag being delayed for the same passenger on two successive journeys? LH misplaced Mrs ES's bag a few weeks ago and now KLM have today lost the same bag on the way to SVO. I mean, once in a while is unfortunate, twice in a row is...:ouch:

Capot
29th Oct 2008, 23:08
If you are transiting through CDG, especially on AF, a lost bag is a racing certainty.

deltayankee
30th Oct 2008, 10:52
Most of the time the bags are just delayed, rather than lost. It happens often when you fly KL through Schiphol. I have had more luck with AF at CDG -- just one mislaid so far this year.

Whenever possible carry everything with you in the cabin!

BladePilot
30th Oct 2008, 12:02
Very frustrating if you're flying point to point with no transfer and it really shouldn't happen that often.
If you're transiting / transfering from one flight to another and your baggage has been tagged all the way through to your destination then be careful about connection times, anything less than 1 hour puts you and your luggage into an uncomfortable zone where the smallest hurdle can end in tears.

The SSK
30th Oct 2008, 12:24
According to Association of European Airlines statistics (Q1 2008 - somewhat out of date)

KLM 1 in 53
LH 1 in 66

Therefore the probablilty of the two occurring consecutively 1 in 3486

deltayankee
31st Oct 2008, 12:50
Therefore the probablilty of the two occurring consecutively 1 in 3486

Surely this is true only if you take flights at random because the distribution of mislaid bags is not even -- there are some connections so tight that consecutive lost bags are much more probable if you follow the same route regularly. If you choose flights with short connections your "luck" will be significantly worse than 1 in 3486.

nivsy
31st Oct 2008, 13:53
I am flying from Munich to London City with Swiss next month - which is with a "connection" via Zurich.

Am curious why able to do this booking - flight arrives at Zurich at xx.55 and departs for LCY at xx.35 - a forty minute opportunity to get my bags onto the LCY bound aircraft.

As both flights are by RJ's - I was kinda hoping that it is the same aircraft doing the onward to LCY from ZRH....otherwise I doubt the bags and possibly me will make it!

Why do they offer such tight connections? Are things a bit better at Zurich?

Nivsy

Boss Raptor
5th Nov 2008, 11:10
continued and regular problems with Lufthansa over last year on the LHR-MUC-Bucharest route...lost bags, flights cancelled completely whilst in departures etc. etc. - this is apparently an ever growing problem according to other LH passengers and for this reason we have dumped them as a carrier now and go direct on BA, Easyjet or Tarom - I would point out the only reason we used LH was as the flight times meant it was a late afternoon-evening run unlike the others which were early morning and so we lost far less work time with LH timing, it was by no means any cheaper and could be more expensive

nivsy
7th Nov 2008, 11:34
It just seems crazy to me that airline sites encourage tight connections yet when it really comes down to it - especially for those who "transit" through the USA it only adds to a sense of frustration and increased blood pressure!

While airlines may rebook you on the "next available" flight it could be one much further down the schedule of flights depending on loads and also many pax like to choose seats etc in advance when available...ie have a nice seat on the connecting flight only to be put into "the pits" on the later re-scheduled connection.

Guess my point is if the airline really recognises that the connection that they offer is not "doable" why offer it?

Nivsy

EC-ILS
7th Nov 2008, 16:29
Nivsy even if both your flights are on the same aircraft, you bag will be taken off at the transit point, both LCY because its small and ZRH because its Swiss are very efficent at luggage transfers.