PDA

View Full Version : Please can you help me!!!

JWLBOYCE
26th Oct 2008, 19:22
I have always dreamed of becoming a British Airways Pilot, so please may somebody just explain to me exactly what I need - do I need a degree? What licenses do I have to have? Can you recommend any airlines before I apply for the BA Direct Pilot Entry Scheme? Are BA going to start pilot sponsorships again soon?

MOST IMPORTANTLY :

IF THERE IS ANY ONE OUT THERE WHO WANTS TO MAKE A 15 YEAR OLD BOY'S DREAMS COME TRUE, PLEASE COULD YOU DONATE THE MONEY THAT I NEED TO BECOME A FULLY QUALIFIED PILOT, AND OFFER ME A JOB. :O:).

I am a member of the Air training Corps, and since I was two I have always wanted to be an airline pilot.

ONE LAST THING :

I have a prescription of -0.25d in my eyesight - would I still have to wear glasses whilst I am flying.

Thanks.

JAMES.

Walk the line
26th Oct 2008, 19:24
Wait for it.....

eahlund
26th Oct 2008, 19:30
:suspect: where is it?

student88
26th Oct 2008, 19:37
The suspense is killing me.. someone do it please!

(this must be a joke)

helo425
26th Oct 2008, 19:49
Its gotta be coming soon

EvelcyclopS
26th Oct 2008, 20:06
the information is available on these forums chap, i read through them all, and i gained a lot through the process, moreso than if someone simply answered my questions. I suggest you find threads like the CTC wings thread, and a few others and get reading. If you dont have the motivation to do that, then you dont have the motivation to be a pilot ;)

just to get you started though, you dont really need a degree, but you'll find it a useful thing to have, not just for life experience and some sort of career safety net, but it will give you opportunities to shine in interviews. I wouldnt suggest you do a flying related degree, it wont help your chances any more and you'll find them pretty restrictive for jobs if you dont succeed as a pilot. Make sure you have at least a physics a-level and preferrably a maths one two. I did all sciences and a science degree and that is enough to get through the first hurdles of pilot selection... Just to be clear though, i'm not a pilot (im actually a research scientist ;) ) although i'm trying my best not to be!

as for 'donating' money..

erm

well, the less said the better

Put1992
26th Oct 2008, 20:08
oh come onnnnn

somebody post the link!

fadedfootpaths
26th Oct 2008, 20:11
http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/250640-ctc-wings-cadets-thread-part-2-a.html

Thats a start:D

As for the donations? Now why didnt I think of that when I did my training:ugh:

Anyways Good Luck Kid:ok:

student88
26th Oct 2008, 20:14
I would have given you some money until I lost it in an Icelandic bank.

mr.tos
27th Oct 2008, 04:44
asking pilots for money............... :=

Unfortunately only mummy and daddy can help you there :{

JWLBOYCE
27th Oct 2008, 11:02
Thank you for all of your help everyone - i have read the threads, and i now understand everything a little better.

THanks .

James.

fadedfootpaths
27th Oct 2008, 11:08
Hi James, You still have 3 years before you can get a license. So plenty of time to do some research and make a wise decision. I wish you all the luck and success:ok:

Arun

v2-Gear Up
27th Oct 2008, 21:09
Hope this helps

What is the work like?

As an airline pilot, you would fly passengers and cargo to destinations around the world, for commercial, business and leisure purposes. This job is exciting and challenging, but it also carries a lot of responsibility.
Your duties would vary slightly, depending on the company you work for, but would typically include:

carrying out pre-flight checks of onboard instruments, engines and fuel
making sure all safety systems are working properly
working out the best route based on weather reports and other information from air traffic control
briefing the cabin crew and following take-off instructions
monitoring in-flight data and making adjustments to deal with changing weather patterns
keeping passengers and crew informed about progress
following airport approach and landing instructions from air traffic control
writing flight reports after landing, highlighting any problems with the aircraft or the flight path
helping to load and unload luggage or cargo (on small planes).On short-haul flights, you would normally work in a two-person team, as a pilot (captain) or co-pilot (first officer). On long-haul flights, you would often have a flight engineer onboard, who would monitor the instruments.
You could also work in other areas of aviation, such as crop spraying, flight testing and flight training.
What qualifications and experience will employers look for?

You would normally start work with an airline as a co-pilot and you would need to achieve a minimum of an Airline Transport Pilot's Licence (ATPL). This is known as a 'frozen' ATPL until you have completed enough flying hours to apply for a full ATPL and qualify as an airline captain.
You can qualify as an airline pilot in several ways. Whichever route you take, you must be at least 21 to be issued with a full ATPL. You should be physically fit, with good hearing, eyesight and normal colour vision. Some airlines impose height and weight restrictions, and you must pass a strict medical.
The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (GAPAN) provides an aptitude test and assessment scheme for people with little or no flying experience. Although not essential, it could prove a useful way to decide whether you are suited to this career, before you make a financial commitment to training.
Private Training
You can fund your own training at a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) approved training school, but you would have to pay the full cost of the course (around £50,000 to £60,000 in total). You can get a complete list of training providers from the CAA personnel licensing department and the British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) below.
Sponsored Training
Some airlines offer places on sponsored training schemes. You would normally need at least five GCSEs (A-C), including English, maths and science, and two A levels, preferably in maths and physics. The entry requirements can vary between companies, so check with individual airlines.
Armed Forces' Experience
If you are a qualified pilot from the armed forces, you can take a conversion course to gain a commercial pilot’s licence. There is strong competition for pilot training in the forces and you must serve a minimum term before taking up employment with an airline (See the RAF job profiles for details).
University Route
Several universities offer courses in air transport and operations with pilot training options. Some of these allow you to study up to frozen ATPL level. In most cases, you have to fund the flight training modules yourself. To search for colleges and universities offering these courses, visit the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (http://www.ucas.com/) (UCAS).
BALPA and the Air League have details about routes into this career, airline sponsorships, bursaries and scholarships. You can also find information on the Royal Aeronautical Society and GoSkills websites.
What further training and development can I do?

Your training to reach the frozen ATPL level could take between nine and 36 months, depending on which entry route you follow. It may be shorter if you already have a Private Pilot's Licence, Commercial Pilot's Licence or experience from the armed forces.
The training normally includes:

flight principles
navigation and communications
meteorology
operational procedures
aviation law
use of flight simulators and flying real aircraft.During the training period, you would learn basic flying skills and usually work towards the frozen ATPL. You must complete a minimum 195 hours' flying time to achieve this.
You would normally start work as a co-pilot, alongside a training captain on short-haul flights to give you maximum experience of take-offs and landings. A full ATPL is normally awarded after 1,500 flying hours (with at least 500 as a co-pilot). Eventually you could become a fully-qualified captain.
As a pilot, you must renew your instrument rating (IR) and take skills tests for specific aircraft every six to twelve months. You also have to pass regular medical examinations.