PDA

View Full Version : AirBand Scanners - advice please

fireflybob
26th Oct 2008, 17:37
Am looking to buy a portable airband scanner and was wondering whether anybody out there had tried the Black-Box Monitor as supplied by Mendelssohn Pilot Supplies and what the performance was like or failing that any recommendation for a good scanner.

Thanks for any help

flyingtincan
26th Oct 2008, 20:23
Maplin are doing the Maycom AR 108 £50 in their sale. Airband and 2m ham band only. OK for checking the weather from your local airport etc.
The Black Box seems to be an untuned passive receiver that allegedly will pick up inside an aircraft – but try asking ‘ is it OK to listen to the Captain on my radio’ while coming in to land.

fireflybob
26th Oct 2008, 21:42
flyingtincan, thanks - yes I saw the Maycom one at Maplin and was tempted but wondered what the Black-Box was like in comparison.

but try asking ‘ is it OK to listen to the Captain on my radio’ while coming in to land.
Today 17:37

Yes quite agree - surprised this was in the blurb on here:-

Black-Box (http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Scanning-and-Receiving/Radio-Scanners/Handheld-Scanners/Airband-Radio/BLACK-BOX-VHF-FLIGHT-MONITOR)

N707ZS
27th Oct 2008, 10:53
Hi,
Have you looked at Uniden scanners. I have had one about 15 years the charger has been replaced a couple of times probably due to me miss useing it and a cat that liked to chew on cables.

take-off
28th Oct 2008, 08:32
re the maycom 108, its not a bad little scanner but I keep in car these days as stand by , got a gre psr-282 found it to be a good scanner picks up most things, better still got it for 30quid off a certain internet auction site, in near new condition, for real basic digitl scanner got a steepletone sb2005,doesnt have the whistles and bells of the others but sits in kitchen window and has fell in sink off the shelf , has been battered and bruised but have to say, other than having to solder the aeriel, not radios fault , it has gone on working strongly everyday:D:D. I was told one of the better lower priced ( and this was around £100,although the guy was owner of a radio shop!!!) was an alinco DJx-3 , again cn be picked up cheap on E~+Y, hope this helps:ok:

Charley B
28th Oct 2008, 21:03
I have the Maycom 108 as well and a Yupiteru MVT 7100--The Yupiteru has a much better range than the Maycom but it was 5 times the price!
I have friends who have a Uniden Bearcat and they reckon that these are the best-if i get another base station will get one of those!
Have a look on the famous auction site:)