PDA

View Full Version : A question for A345 pilots/engineers

Vibes
26th Oct 2008, 13:36
Hi guys!

Would like to ask any a345 pilots around here a particular question.

In the A/C manual for the a345 , it states that to increase the rotation rate, further rapid and large aft movement of the sidestick is made during the late stage of rotation, the possibility of tailstrike increases signicantly (due to rocking bogie design of the A340).

What do they mean by the rocking bogie design of the A340?How does this affect the a/c performance during rotation to such an extent that it increases the possibility of a tailstrike?

I hope someone could shed some light on the abovementioned question.

Yours Sincerely,
Vibes

ShockWave
10th Nov 2008, 01:19
Vibes,
I am not currently flying the A345 and have no manuals for it now, but did instruct on it for a while.
"it states that to increase the rotation rate, further rapid and large aft movement of the sidestick is made during the late stage of rotation, the possibility of tailstrike increases signicantly (due to rocking bogie design of the A340)."
I do not know where the above statement comes from however any large rapid aft movement of the side stick will increase the likelyhood of a tail strike on any aircraft, particularly if your main gear are still on the runway or just as you become airborne. The rocking bogie design simply means that just because the cockpit is airborne do not assume that the main bogies have become airborne and yank back on the side stick. All 4 wheels on each bogie will remain in contact with the runway until main gear liftoff (they rock or rotate to remain in contact with the ground).
The side stick input that creates initial rotation rate will have to be increased (ideally at a constant rate) to achieve the desired rotation rate to your takeoff attitude. Rotation continues after lift off, so the later stage of rotation in my opinion should only ever be when you have confirmed that you are in fact airborne. +climb, +rad alt, +vs