PDA

View Full Version : Commuting as an Emirates Pilot

Speedy Gonsalez
26th Oct 2008, 12:02
Is it commuting possible as an Emirates Pilot? Please tell me, if so, where exactly you could life and explain me all the problems you might have with it.

Easier for everyone to understand , EGGW

kennedy
26th Oct 2008, 12:49
I think he means commuting, and the answer is most definately not!

fractional
26th Oct 2008, 16:29
Is it shutteling possible as an Emirates Pilot?Yes, if you are willing to buy firm tickets and not being on sby lists.
It's just neither economically viable nor is it practical. This is applicable to all Gulf majors.

saywhat
26th Oct 2008, 19:30
Yes you can "shuttle". Every year, you can shuttle home for your leave.....:}

mutt
27th Oct 2008, 04:00
This is applicable to all Gulf majors No its not, look a little to the west and you will find an airline where the pilots commute for each flight series. Albeit, mostly to destinations within the Gulf, but for most others they can disappear for around 6 days a month, all on confirmed crew tickets with cockpit access if required!

Mutt

411A
27th Oct 2008, 05:38
...6 days a month, all on confirmed crew tickets with cockpit access if required!

Yup, one of the benefits of working for this very long established airline.
That, and smiling at your bank book each month.
Not a bad deal.

sanddude
27th Oct 2008, 14:12
By god, a full 6 days a month, thats what I call an awesome lifestyle, guess you gotta be single:(

411 being a prime example of no life after that life in certain company:E. But hey look at the bank book:{, how sad:ugh:

40&80
27th Oct 2008, 21:38
Not a bad idea to look at the Bank.....and see if it is still working.
Just what do you do with all your money when you are dead?

411A
28th Oct 2008, 06:55
By god, a full 6 days a month, thats what I call an awesome lifestyle, guess you gotta be single

Six days off in a row (usually received seven), and a free confirmed ticket anywhere on the system...wife flies in from the states on a class 10 pass ($40), a mini vacation in FRA or FCO or MAD or CDG or LHR each and every month, crew rates at the in-town hotel...sounds like a plan to me....and still smile at your bankbook.;)

Phantom Driver
29th Oct 2008, 16:49
Good ol' 411A!

Six days off in a row (usually received seven), and a free confirmed ticket anywhere on the system...wife flies in from the states on a class 10 pass ($40), a mini vacation in FRA or FCO or MAD or CDG or LHR each and every month, crew rates at the in-town hotel...sounds like a plan to me....and still smile at your bankbook I must say, I really do admire your "never say die" spirit; NEVER let it all get to you. Got to be a lesson there somewhere for the rest of us!!

(p.s that lifestyle sounds a little like what gives now at SIAC, i.e retirement job. Hope the global recession doesn't last too long. That would definitely stop all the complaints.Then where would all the fun be?):)

411A
30th Oct 2008, 20:00
...retirement job.

That's what I have now, Phantom Driver, a retirement job.
The company pays me for 4 months, I work three.
Nearly year around.
Not such a bad deal....:)

fractional
30th Oct 2008, 21:28
No its not, look a little to the west and you will find an airline where the pilots commute for each flight series.mutt, I didn't consider Saudia a Gulf major. It's a bit too west. I don't think KU does it.
Nothing against it. I wish I had it.

mensaboy
31st Oct 2008, 08:40
Speedy, If you are in Budapest, then that would be quite difficult. For one thing, it is not on the route structure, so you are looking at commuting to the nearest airport and then making your way home.

Aside from that, we do not have jump-seat privileges. In good economic times, we tend to fly around with full aircraft too. Another issue is the bidding system that is not exactly predictable. I get a good month in say bid group 3, followed by an average month in group 2, followed by a schedule not even similar to my bids for my top month. The lower two bid groups can be disastrous especially considering you are given 35 days of reserve once or twice a year. My point being, the company continually messes with the bidding system,so you cannot be assured of getting stretches of 'off' days in any month.

So, to answer your question, I do not think 'shuttling' is a possibility anymore. Commuting has become less of an option each year I have been here.

Geebz
31st Oct 2008, 09:49
That would get old quick

mensaboy
31st Oct 2008, 14:06
I do not know anyhow who gets 10-15 days off at home every few weeks. In fact, I don't know of anyone who gets even close to that, and certainly not someone relatively new to the company.

Didn't I read something about 'no more multiple swaps' too. I have to admit I didn't read that memo very carefully.

Perhaps it is possible but I have not run across anyone who arranges his schedule in that manner.

Becassine
1st Nov 2008, 08:51
The notice said you cannot swap a flight that has already been swapped. So it is still possible to do do several swaps a month.

I have been with EK for a year and a half, and for the last 6 months, have been able to enjoy between 1 week to 2 weeks in Europe every month. It involves careful leave planning and bidding, as well as a good monitoring of the loads and having several back up plans to fly back to Dubai!!! It is tiring, to be honest, and would only consider doing it on a short term basis...

I know of a few other pilots who manage to do the same, but only because our circumstances changed after having joined EK.

I hope this helps.

B.