PDA

View Full Version : Efis @ Ppl

Bush Dog
25th Oct 2008, 18:32
Hi Guys,

I was contemplating the potential long term pro's and cons of using the new cheap to run sport type aircraft for PPL training which to my very limited knowledge of these airplanes seem to either have very basic panels or EFIS type panels both being non-standard in the PPL - CPL transition planes on the cards for these guys and girls to fly on their first job and or own or hire as a fledgling PPL pilot... Is there a system or CAA requirement to have experience on the basic steam driven IF panel? Yes I agree each aircraft has a type rating but 1-5 hrs on type is this enough to have full situational awareness when the going gets HOT?.. I remember transitioning onto EFIS from steam driven and the full understanding of rubbish in = rubbish out and its certainly not a realisation you would want to come to the fore when u have the ceiling unexpectedly come down on you... The latest string of GA accidents in SA in mind..
Can some experinced flight school operators put some constructive comment on this? I can however see the guy who is being sponsered by an airline to have a structured PPL thru to frozen ATPL done with a particular positioning in mind type training.. However how often is that happening in SA these days?