PDA

View Full Version : Flight Ops Jobs

Eros1410
25th Oct 2008, 10:32
Hey there to everyone.

Just wondered if anyone knows of any flight ops assistant jobs going in the future?

Im TG9 (assistant) in the RAF and Im lookin to find a job from next Oct

Thanks all

Eros

ASCOT Ops Retd
25th Oct 2008, 12:12
My advice would be to decide on where you're prepared to live - there will undoubtedly be more jobs around the London area than North Yorkshire - but if you want to live in a particular region, get to know who the employers are. Who flies to those airports, both scheduled, charter and GA, who provides handling/FBO services, and/or are there any support services nearby, such as Jepessen near Gatwick.

Use the recognised RAF brand to perhaps organise a 'fact finding visit' to an area of interest, and make contacts. Maybe invite them to the base for a return visit. Above all, and as much as possible, be proactive - something the RAF don't necessarily encourage 'just' an airman to be.

Work on a CV as soon as possible and avoid undermining yourself by using subservient or military language. Although you may have been a flight planning assistant by title, if you ran the place on your own, you managed it! If you're not sure what words to use, find someone who is good with words to enhance what you may consider mundane.

A worthwhile place to look, where you can register for a daily jobs e-mail, is aviationjobsearch.com as well as Flight magazine and any local airport newspapers, such as the one at Gatwick. Also, once you've found out who operates at a certain airport, check out the airport/operators website. The market is a bit tight right now, but it seems to be more buoyant in the spring; also look overseas if that suits, as a number of companies will like your RAF background (unless you're leaving because you punched the SWO or something).

plans123
25th Oct 2008, 18:48
Wise words there mate. One thing though, if the person interviewing you is Ex-TG9, don't try and b******t them, they'll spot it a mile off. :ok:

ASCOT Ops Retd on the other hand got his job thanks to a long list of disgusting 'favours'!! :} :E :=

ASCOT Ops Retd
26th Oct 2008, 09:27
plans123,

I was going to ask if you knew me, but obviously you do!

plans123
26th Oct 2008, 18:05
Better than you think (but not in a biblical sense of course) :yuk:

ASCOT Ops Retd
26th Oct 2008, 19:41
Aha! I'd forgotten your handle on here, but a quick check of your previous posts reminded me.

Hope you're well and keeping safe. I start my new job in the real world on Tue :)

Eros1410
27th Oct 2008, 12:55
Just would like to say thank you to Plans123 and ASCOT for your info and help. much appriciated guys.

Eros:)

ASCOT Ops Retd
27th Oct 2008, 13:13
You're welcome. There are jobs out there, but don't expect rockstar wages to begin with. If you've got your head screwed on, a military background seems to equip most leavers a good work ethic and 'get on with it' mentality. Don't lose that, put up with a bit a cr@p in the short term, and the world is your oyster - certainly more opportunity than staying with your current employer!

flyvirgin
29th Oct 2008, 12:01
Hi There,
I wonder if someone can give me some advice, in the long run i want to be a airline pilot, but i want a job in aviation in the mean time, and i was thinking if i got a job doing something like flight ops could it be a back way in to any future pilot jobs.
Im willing to travel, how do i go about getting a job in flight ops, any help would be nice.
Thanks (once again)
Adam

plans123
30th Oct 2008, 14:43
Adam,

You could either get a job with one of the numerous handling companies out there, look at Aviationjobsearch.com for a good starting place and build up experience (and contacts) that way .

Or do as some of us did and join the RAF as an Ops monkey and get the experience that way. As I've said before, its horses for courses.

Hope that helps.

F'Wx
5th Nov 2008, 09:18
As has been said before, keep checking aviationjobsearch, theres always jobs around, you just need to be in the right location...

I went from TG9 to Cargo Ops as an Officer, and have since moved up to Controller, the cash is better, the jobs more intersting, you get more time off, and chance for paid overtime instead of the RAF expecting you to do it, completely different world out here :)

Good luck!

VP8
6th Nov 2008, 01:21
I left TG 9 in the 90's Salt cuts...I got a job with a flight briefing service that went bellyup> I now work on the Ops side for the "Reds" on Antonovs.

I used Aviation job search also did a lot of research in the resettlement section of the Library and the Regular Forces Employemnt Agency.

As mentioned earlier getting your CV sorted is a good first hurdle.

Good luck matey for the future:ok:

VEEPS

inglebyboro
8th Nov 2008, 07:13
One more quick bit of advice from another ex TG9, is try and use your resettlement wisely. When you do the courses at the education centre, they (with all due respect) know bugger all about life outside the RAF if you still want to remain within aviation. They are fine if you want to run a pub, be a driving instructor, be a plumber, etc, but when you say you want to remain within ATC / Flight Ops, they have not got a clue how to help and give suitable guidance.

There are quite a few good courses you could do, which will help you once you hand in your 1250. One course is the Jeppesen FOM 1/2 (Flight Operations Management) course (ran in Denver, Frankfurt, Dubai, and a few other places around the world - but not ran in the UK). The FOM 2 course is 6 weeks long and you leave with good useful qualification. If the RAF will pay for the course and the hotel, you will be laughing. I just wish I had done more research before I left the mob, and got out of them what I could.

Good luck Eros

VP8
8th Nov 2008, 13:10
Good advice from Ingle

I tried to get an FAA dispatchers licence by distance learning then use my resettlemnet to take finals in US but couldn't get it fro them

BelArgUSA
8th Nov 2008, 17:43
I recommend the FAA Flight Dispatcher course and licence.
Do not know if they offer distance learning.
xxx
The course is 2 to 3 month in duration.
I think the name of school is Sheffield School of Aeronautics.
Ft. Lauderdale suburbs is their location.
Cost is about US$3,000 + inexpensive accommodations.
Just Google them with "Sheffield dispatcher"...
xxx
Check also with Flight Safety, they do same training.
Also have an option for FAR 121 or FAR 135.
If you plane to work with airlines, 121 option is better.
If for executive airplanes as dispatcher, would recommend 135 option.
xxx
Good luck -
:)
Happy contrails

ASCOT Ops Retd
12th Nov 2008, 18:20
I do not recommend Sheffield. I e-mailed the bloke (Morris?) who runs the place, and after chasing him to spend my potential $6000 (by enquiring about the use of ELC and educational allowances), he dismissively replied "sorry, not interested" - no elaboration whatsoever. Annoyed, I responded, mentioning my dismay at his level of customer service, to which he went off on a tirade about not needing my business because he was packed with customers, finishing off by banning me from his school!

Two things came to mind: firstly, no matter how busy your school, you're never rude to customers because, as we now see, markets and demand change; when that happens, reputations matter. Secondly, notwithstanding this bloke's complacency, he was obviously somewhat stressed, which doesnt' bode well for anyone 'non-standard' - ie. a military retiree from the UK. I suggest anyone who may require a little more help making arrangements than a run-of-the-mill American customer tread cautiously with Sheffield - your business apparently doesn't matter.

Eros1410
15th Nov 2008, 10:04
:)Thanks for all the info and advice guys.

Thing is i need info for the UK only. there is no way i can go to the USA lol :)

Any more advice and tips are appriciated.

Eros