View Full Version : severe flatulance

Bearcat
24th Oct 2008, 22:56
yes hillarous not, but in reality i have a norm diet, dont drink excessively and am healthy. when i fly the pressurisation does my guts in and have basically violent flatulance. east bound crossing the pond at 4 in the morning i am bent over with wind.......its unreal..... Now save the jokes, I've had the colonoscopies etc but should i go for a diet allergic check etc etc?

Freefall38
25th Oct 2008, 01:39
Not funny at all--especially when one gets to the point of being in pain. It's hell getting old!

I stopped drinking anything carbonated--including beer! and found some great relief. Although certain Thai or spicy foods have their own blame for some gastric interactions.

Have you tried any options with pharmacy products?

Bearcat
25th Oct 2008, 07:53
lactose intolerant? would that be a sign??

kijangnim
25th Oct 2008, 08:22
Greetings,
Eggs in breakfast are good generators, cheese such as french brie or camembert also, but in anycase medecine exist :}

gingernut
25th Oct 2008, 09:20
Try cutting down on the fruit, veg and beans etc.

Peppermints may help, else have a word with your gp, some meds may help.

stator vane
25th Oct 2008, 09:56
cutting out all carbonated drinks, lactose based items. and now fruits and vegs---

simple--

quit eating and drinking--

should see a good result in three days!!!

but actually, a period of fasting could be seen as a simple "reboot" of the system. a couple of days when off, then a very selective introduction of simple foods and drinks will enable you to perhaps identify what sets your system off.

low n' slow
28th Oct 2008, 13:47
I can relate to this. During the past year, I've started having a problem with really bad flatulence. Not only is the sheer quantity of wind a problem, but also the smell. Makes it stressful being around colleagues and friends.

I've cut out dairy products to get rid of the lactose. That helped the smell alot.
I avoid black coffee and since I can't have the milk, that really rules coffee out. I have a habbit of eating really fast and I'm trying to slow this down and chew the food more thoroughly. I try belching as much as I can.

I'm also on a pill called dimetikon recip wich apparantly is supposed to reduce the surface tension of the gas bubbles so that they can be taken up by the passing food. I haven't used them long enough to see the result, but they say it ought to help a lot. The active substance is called antifoam and consists of dimetikon and siliconedioxide.

I fly shorthaul and find the constant decompressions and compressions a nuicanse. The worst part of it is that I'm only a F/O so I never get to take a walk during the turnarounds...

/LnS

frostbite
28th Oct 2008, 15:23
It can also be a precursor to a heart attack in some cases - best to eliminate that chance.

Also, don't go near those 'pro-biotic' (or whatever) bottles of glop. Almost guaranteed to produce lots of gas.