View Full Version : IR Simulators

neilr
24th Oct 2008, 18:42
Hi all

Anybody got some recommendations for a PC simulator that might help with my IR - hoping to start this in Jan

Ideally should be usable without any additonal hardware so I can use on a laptop and would possibly inlcude real approaches for for europe

Obvious ones are Microsoft, Rant, ASA, etc ......

Does anybody have any experience of these or others

Many thanks Neil

scallaghan
24th Oct 2008, 19:29
Take a look at x-plane which is more real then FS.

X-Plane, by Austin Meyer (http://www.x-plane.com/)

Brian304
25th Oct 2008, 17:00
I have experience of RANT XL, so did other on my IR course, everyone basically had RANT XL on the course. It is a NEED for the IR course.

Brian304:8

Mikehotel152
25th Oct 2008, 18:36
I second Brian304. :ok:

I have Rant XL Release 3 and it's excellent preparation for the IR. The IR is all about learning procedures and recognising what the ADF and VOR needles are telling you. Rant gives you plenty of practice.

I also have FSX with all the add-ons but would not recommend it for the IR or any other flight training.

IMHO the instruments on FSX are not clear enough to be of much assistance for instrument flying and in any case most of the aircraft in FSX which you might actually fly in the real world for training are not modelled with an ADF in FSX.

Learn the basics on Rant; learn how to fly the aircraft and the procedures in the SIM at your FTO. :8

neilr
25th Oct 2008, 20:55
Thanks Brian and MH152.... sounds like a plan - I think you can download a demo to check it out before buying - so will give it a go

Does it have a database of real approaches ??