View Full Version : JAA in USA - How long?

rallymadness
24th Oct 2008, 09:21
I heard that the possibility to have training in USA to obtain a JAA licence is something that in a short time will not be possible any more.

Is this true, or is it just the typical false rumor?

Is there anybody well informed about it?

Thanks-

mad_jock
24th Oct 2008, 09:58
It will still be possible its just that the regs will change to state that the instructor has to have a JAA or what ever the new setup is Instructor rating as well as a FAA.

So there is nothing stopping a company, and I presume OAT will continue training over there, training as long as they can find instructors suitably qualified with both systems.

What it will mean is these instructors will be in quite short supply until things get themselves sorted out. The normal cut and thrust of flight school operations will be slightly changed as the supply of instructors will be way out stripped by demand. So it may mean that T&C's of the instructors will be improved which will be fed on to the customer.

I have a sneaky feeling that things will be quite confused for a period until things sort themselves out. I should imagine it may get quite political for a period as FAA instructors will see a reasonable chunk of business in thier areas suddenly disappear to be done by Europeans who will be getting paid more than the FAA guys.

I suspect they will start playing difficult with greencards and it will end up that the Irish passport holders will corner the market.

There are other ways of doing it ie train for a FAA license then convert it to a JAA one.

I can't see it stopping though, there are some right devious bastards running the JAA schools in the US. I am sure they will find a way around any restrictions the regulators impose.

Founder
24th Oct 2008, 10:54
From 2011 its going to be forbidden to perform JAA training outside European Airspace so be a bit careful with going to the US to do JAA training...

BigGrecian
24th Oct 2008, 12:52
Honestly, no one knows what will happen when EASA come in, so all statements are unfounded.

The latest draft proposals allow for training in the US, but will all be taught by EASA qualified instructors.

As a side note Founder, that initial proposal got "amended", one of the reasons being that they thought that some parts of European airspace might not be able to handle the extra training that would have to be done there if there was no training in the US.