PDA

View Full Version : Angry online divorcee kills virtual husband in cyber revenge

Jumbo744
23rd Oct 2008, 16:59
what the hell??!!

By The Associated Press

TOKYO - Japanese police say a 43-year-old piano teacher's sudden divorce from her online husband in a virtual game world made her so angry that she logged on and killed his digital persona.

She used his identification and password to log onto the popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in mid-May.

A police official in the northern city of Sapporo on Thursday quoted the woman as saying that she was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning and that made her angry.

The official said the woman had not plotted any revenge in the real world.

She has not yet been formally charged, but if convicted could face a prison term of up to five years or a fine up to $5,000.

Players in "Maple Story" raise and manipulate digital images called "avatars" that represent themselves, while engaging in relationships, social activities and fighting against monsters and other obstacles.

The woman used login information she got from the 33-year-old office worker when their characters were happily married, and killed the character.

The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead.

W.R.A.I.T.H
23rd Oct 2008, 17:56
Lock'em both up for not getting a life I say!

Blues&twos
23rd Oct 2008, 21:19
Given that this is an electronic murder, will she be charged? Or has she claimed it wasn't her volt?

BombayDuck
23rd Oct 2008, 21:56
It's a current issue, and bound to get hot...

Miserlou
23rd Oct 2008, 23:13
They just got their wires crossed.

Arm out the window
23rd Oct 2008, 23:17
Her defence is a web of lies, I tell you!

notmyC150v2
23rd Oct 2008, 23:20
I think they need to leave their computers at ohm and reaquaint themselves with sunlight...

I wonder if the coppers are still laughing.

Buster Hyman
23rd Oct 2008, 23:29
If it's electronic murder, then surely the chair is appropriate?

dany4kin
24th Oct 2008, 02:42
She should sit on the chair first then he should be put on her laptop.

John Hill
24th Oct 2008, 02:42
I guess he just got baud.

heli-cal
24th Oct 2008, 04:04
There was a Radio 4 (or World Service) feature on people whom 'create' virtual designer apartments and actually sell them to 'second life' participants for use in that activity! :confused:

Presumably there will be lots of 'second life' estate agents losing their virtual jobs.

visibility3miles
24th Oct 2008, 05:56
It's an outage I tell you!

The avatar is out of 'ere?

They should server some hard drive time and router there!

Arm out the window
24th Oct 2008, 07:10
If she had any accomplices, they should've taken 'em all out and modem down with machine gun fire.

She pleaded for mercy, but (speaking in an outrageous accent) the judge cried "It's a bit rate to say solly now! You go to plison double click!"

Loose rivets
24th Oct 2008, 09:06
To which she recoiled, but showed no resistance.

Iolar
24th Oct 2008, 11:09
Do the police have any other leads?

Cap'n Arrr
24th Oct 2008, 12:04
Only that the woman was very short with them, and her statement didn't flow along normal lines

corsair
24th Oct 2008, 16:00
He complained to the real police? Some people take this virtual thing too seriously. Surely the online police would be better. Given that it's a virtual murder. Maybe she should be executed in a virtual way. Remove all her powers and hunt her down as a fugitive. Or tie her to a virtual tree and have her eaten by a virtual monster in front of a mob of jeering avatars.

Sounds like fun.

frostbite
24th Oct 2008, 18:02
She should have done the deed in the UK - she'd have got a stern email from the police support officer.

ThreadBaron
24th Oct 2008, 20:36
... and the Victim Support Unit.