PDA

View Full Version : Heard it all now!

mcgoo
22nd Oct 2008, 21:11
I had to call Orange today to report my new upgrade phone as being defective, it kept dropping calls and the screen going blank which required removing the battery, replacing and rebooting.

All went swimmingly, the young lad on the phone did a diagnostic and said yes, it is faulty, i'll get a new one sent out to you tomorrow!, grand I thought, what a great service, and then he explained to me why mobile phones drop calls.

"Well basically, mobile phone signals travel at 45mph and as you said you drive a lot of the day, probably at more than 45 mph, so basically you are outrunning the signal as you are travelling faster than it" :rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
22nd Oct 2008, 21:13
We're on Metric in Oz, so it doesn't happen here.

Whirlygig
22nd Oct 2008, 21:16
It's even slower if you're having a really heavy conversation and some long words find it harder to travel through the glass of your windscreen.

Cheers

Whirls

con-pilot
22nd Oct 2008, 21:16
"Well basically, mobile phone signals travel at 45mph and as you said you drive a lot of the day, probably at more than 45 mph, so basically you are outrunning the signal as you are travelling faster than it"

Balderdash! Utter nonsense. It is common knowledge that a human cannot breath in air at any speed over 35 mph! :p

frostbite
22nd Oct 2008, 21:42
"mobile phone signals travel at 45mph"

They've sold you an analogue phone - digital signals can travel faster than that.

Phill
22nd Oct 2008, 21:54
Well at least Orange have updated their call centre scripts since I was amongst their customers.

Critically though, how does this work in relation to ones position to the mast i.e. travelling towards or travelling away?
Do I need to speak faster when moving towards the mast(assuming I'm travelling over 45mph)? :8

I guess this also explains some of my poor broadband speeds, I'm part way up a hill. So the speed will drop off according to the gradient! :ugh:

You gotta call him back and ask him what happens when it's foggy :}

Noah Zark.
22nd Oct 2008, 22:00
It's the telephonic equivalent of " I'm typing this slowly because I know you cannot read quickly"! :)

mcgoo
22nd Oct 2008, 22:23
All this time I thought that the random accelerating and hard braking that you see vehicles doing was due to the speed cameras, now I know it's people trying to outrun or catch up with their mobile phone signals.

con-pilot
22nd Oct 2008, 22:29
All this time I though that the random accelerating and hard braking that you see vehicles doing was due to the speed cameras, now I know it's people trying to outrun or catch up with their mobile phone signals.

You win, great post! :D:D:D

:ok:

G-CPTN
22nd Oct 2008, 23:25
There's a large mobile-phone mast visible from a major trunk road near here. It always has pigeons perched on it.
It's obvious that the 45mph is the flight speed of the pigeons carrying the messages to and from the mast.
Ani Fule Kno that . . .

Howard Hughes
23rd Oct 2008, 01:31
Next they'll be telling you that you ned to upgrade your piece of string...:rolleyes:

nahsuD
23rd Oct 2008, 02:16
This problem can be solved if you place your car on a conveyor belt....

ww1
23rd Oct 2008, 02:45
"It is common knowledge that a human cannot breath in air at any speed over 35 mph!"

You, sir, have obviously never met my wife.

con-pilot
23rd Oct 2008, 03:26
You, sir, have obviously never met my wife.

Nor you mine. :p

(Oh ouch, ouch, I didn't mean it, oh ouch!)

hardhatter
23rd Oct 2008, 05:35
But you did remember to plug in the extension cord back, didn't you?
:\

Beatriz Fontana
23rd Oct 2008, 07:38
ROFL!!

So the bloke in the shop should be able to explain why all those :mad: driving at over 70mph on the motorways are still using their mobile phones...!

Scooby Don't
23rd Oct 2008, 08:08
Those at 70mph are using TWO mobile phones. One at 45mph and one at 25mph.

Captain Stable
23rd Oct 2008, 08:16
So THAT'S why my bluetooth bike system has multiple connection capability - I can still talk on the phone even at 90 mph! :ok:

Is anyone going to prosecute the manufacturers for encouraging me to crank it up on the M3? :confused:

Wod
23rd Oct 2008, 08:23
Hang on. Was that in series or in parallel?

How pleased I am that I normally forget my mobile and leave it at home doing no speed whatsoever. And being about as useful as a phone at home..

teeteringhead
23rd Oct 2008, 08:48
But what if the car/mobile 'phone is on a conveyor belt ..........

Scooby Don't
23rd Oct 2008, 09:20
In series of course! If it was in parallel, one phone would get stretched... Or is that the other way round? :8

RiscOS
23rd Oct 2008, 10:25
No no Mr Don't, if they was in parallel then both phones would meet at infinity. :\

Scooby Don't
23rd Oct 2008, 11:21
Well that's it then. I'm going to stop using my mobile if it's going to take me anywhere near an event horizon. As for the prospect of an infinite number of phones making an infinite number of calls to an infinite number of receivers, but all at 45mph, you're going to end up getting stuck in tailbacks on the M25 behind bloody mobile phone signals. :eek:

Burnt Fishtrousers
23rd Oct 2008, 12:45
That little gem would explain why my other half recently got my "Im going to be late message" a half hour after I arrived at home..

Octopussy2
23rd Oct 2008, 13:04
Thanks Scooby Don't - now I understand why it's not a good idea to use a mobile on an aeroplane - just think how many phones you'd need to take if you're going at 400 mph...

Beatriz Fontana
23rd Oct 2008, 13:20
Oh, now, if I had a quid for every time O2 delivered a text message late, they'd be paying me to use their service!

airborne_artist
23rd Oct 2008, 13:20
No doubt that's why calls to Oz on my mobile are so f-ing bad - think how long it must take for the signal to travel all the way to/from Perth at 45 mph. Suppose if I was driving in that general direction it might improve call quality? :ok:

angels
23rd Oct 2008, 13:35
What happens if you use the mobile while on a conveyor belt? :ok:

One9iner
23rd Oct 2008, 13:43
you all laugh but it's true !! I swear..

There's a Vodaphone mast not far from where I live and whenever I'm on the carphone speaking to MissOne9er at home, whilst travelling towards home, the conversation doesn't make any sense...

Before I can ask "what's for dinner?" the answers already with me.. it's a bit like double jeopardy...

'Pasta'
"Whats for dinner?"
'6.30pm'
What time?
Not tonight!!
"Hey, what do you say we get a bottle of wine and have an early.. arrrrrr damn it!"

Captain Stable
23rd Oct 2008, 14:27
Try this for practice, One9iner:- YouTube - Two Ronnies - Mastermind (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq8ZnQ95cKk)

oxenos
23rd Oct 2008, 15:42
Surely account must also be taken of whether the nearest mast is to windward or to leeward . (or upwind / downwind if you prefer that ) And please do not tell me to stop calling you Shirley.

BladePilot
23rd Oct 2008, 16:35
Chap sat in row in front of me on a flight into Dubai recently recieved a call on the approach and was happily chatting away until crew asked him to terminate the call. I assume therefore he wasn't an Orange customer or maybe they have installed a mast on top of the Burj Dubai;)

radeng
23rd Oct 2008, 19:45
There is a speed limit as well as a range limit in GSm caused by the time slots getting muddled up. I can't remember exactly what the speed limit is, but it's up in several hundreds of kph.

Of course if the signals were passing through something with a dielectric constant 50 times that of water, they might get down to 45mph......However, you couldn't move in such a material, let alone at 45mph.

I wonder who managed to kid the poor lad of this?

Although Mrs Radeng was at one time an active radio amateur: she told someone that she didn't use the 432MHz band in the car because the wavelength being one third of 144MHz, you had to drive three times as fast. He went to a lot of trouble to try to explains to a BSc (Hons) in Electronic Engineering why this wasn't the case.....