PDA

View Full Version : alternatives to the airlines!

Phil Elder
22nd Oct 2008, 16:25
Due to the recent lack of recruitment within the airlines i was wondering if anyone could help suggesting an alternative way to find employment build some hours while the market is picking up?
Currently have a cpl,multi engine rating, night rating, instrument rating and Mcc cert basically Frozen Atpl from intergrated school. However only 220 hours total time.
I am aware of the corporate market but seems to require 700 to 1500 min total time due to insurance and I really dont fancy Instructing so does any one have any ideas to alternatives? As i really dont want to work outside of aviation!

MIKECR
22nd Oct 2008, 16:37
Short of doing an FI rating, there's not much you'll find. Glider towing, para dropping etc, assuming you can get any,...will put some hours in the logbook, but dont expect any pay. Air taxi and light tiwn charter work etc requires significantly more hours and experience than a frozen atpl with low hours. Biz jets/Corp requires substantial hours too...also bear in mind that the downturn is hitting these guys too. EBJ have just went bust, thats a good handful of experienced Citation guys onto the market. As for freight/cargo work on TP's etc, just as difficult to get into as the passenger ailines.

fadedfootpaths
22nd Oct 2008, 16:54
Welcome to the club Micker:ok:

AiRBuS_380
22nd Oct 2008, 17:07
hi there,

i would suggest to go find a FI job around your region and then work on your hours. Due to the recession period now adays, even people like us in airlines are afraid of being 'chopped'. Take these two years to clock your hours if possible more on ME and then move on towards coporate flying or LCCs or any airlines if ab intio or 2nd officers positions.... getting the first job is often hard... good luck!

Great Way to Fly

Phil Elder
23rd Oct 2008, 18:25
Thanks for the input appreciate your time on this one everyone and hope nobody gets chopped!! all the best and if anybody has any cunning ideas please let me know.

regards

Phil