PDA

View Full Version : Indian Space Shot and Moon Project

alwayzinit
22nd Oct 2008, 05:11
How come we are still sending millions of overseas aid to India every year yet they can afford a space program and planning to go to the moon?

Surely if they have cash to litter up space they don't need our cash anymore.

Tin hat and flak jacket donned:E

Farrell
22nd Oct 2008, 06:46
I agree!

It is absolutely outrageous.
I have seen first-hand the poverty and want that is in places like Bombay and Delhi and have seen even worse on the road between Delhi and Jaipur.

The world should stand up and refuse to fund aid to this place until India starts to show that it cares about its people because from what I have seen there, I feel that they don't.

The varna and caste systems still have a lot to answer for. I have many Indian friends who tell me that the caste system does not exist anymore - I don't believe them.

Are you honestly telling me that as a Kshatriyas or Brahmin, you would let your daughter marry into a family of Dalits?

I doubt it!

Over half of the population are labelled "Other Backward Classes" - with no social or educational development. They just get left behind, despite all the government crap about reservation.

Going to the moon......a totally frivolous waste of cash!

ORAC
22nd Oct 2008, 07:12
Sigh, I am afraid the Indians just haven't learnt how to do this countdown thing....

Your supposed to go 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... LIFTOFF!! Then add some deeply inspirational PR speak like, "And India raises it's head to the stars!!! etc.

Instead, what did we get?

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5....

I'm sorry, it's just not good enough... :=:=

merlinxx
22nd Oct 2008, 07:15
And spending billions buying up overseas companies :mad:s. If the revenues were spent in-country so much the better. Also the inbound revenues from non Indian service
providers (most all UK ISP companies call centres), what the hell do they need my taxes for a space prog?:ugh::ugh:

BombayDuck
22nd Oct 2008, 07:30
Gasp! I'm sure all your respective countries have eradicated poverty, everyone is just perfect and....

sigh.

Never mind.

alwayzinit
22nd Oct 2008, 08:22
Eh Bombay, when was the last time you visited the sub continent?

But as you say nobody is perfect, however , at least most of the other space exploring nations have some kind of safety net for poor folk who have nowhere to live and no food or sanitation.

Correct me if I am wrong but India does not.

You also failed to justify the overseas aid inbound to India when it obviously doesn't need it.

:ok:

max1
22nd Oct 2008, 08:23
I'm all for an Indian space shot, as long as they put Harbijan Singh in it.

Farrell
22nd Oct 2008, 08:25
Eh Bombay, when was the last time you visited the sub continent?

Sorry Adi, before I rant - that made me laugh.
For your info, Bombay Duck is a good mate of mine and actually lives in....Bombay.

Presently making his mark on the aviation world at Uni in the UK now and I am very proud of him for what he has achieved.

But....

Bombay Duck,

You are missing the point.
India's poverty problem is massive!
Every spare penny should be focused on eradicating the problem.
Are you going to sit there are tell me that the resolution of this problem is high on the Indian government's list of priorities?
No.
The space program comes first.
The TATA company will not tolerate the raising up of the poor into citizens of worth and god forbid they learn to form their own opinion.

We are good friends and I do not want that to cloud the issue of what I posted - a government that is doing nothing to help those in need.
The issue here was the sending of international aid to help these people. Aid requested by your government - while they funnel cash into a space program with a satellite that orbits the moon! Why? We already know what is up there!

"It is a symbol of national pride." is what I was told a few minutes ago by a young Indian FO who has left his country because he couldn't get a job there!

And as I said earlier, while you still have a caste system of segregation in place, (let's not call it anything else because you all that is what it is!), then you will always have a poverty problem because those of higher castes believe that the ones on the bottom deserve to be where they are.

You are lucky enough to not be living inside a tarpaulin like those I saw when we drove around Bombay together.
But tell me, would you be where you are now if you were of a lower caste?
Not a chance in hell.

BombayDuck
22nd Oct 2008, 08:36
Alright, they should have given three rupees to each person then.

Buster Hyman
22nd Oct 2008, 09:05
But think of the savings in rocket fuel! Two or three dodgy vindaloo's ought to do it!

(Actually, this thread takes my mind off the cricket....):{

Evanelpus
22nd Oct 2008, 09:27
It just beggars belief, first our call centres, then Jaguar Cars and now the piggin' Moon!

Can't wait for the announcement of the opening of the first takeaway at the Sea of Tranquility.

Scumbag O'Riley
22nd Oct 2008, 09:34
Gasp! I'm sure all your respective countries have eradicated povertyI haven't seen the same level of poverty in any western country as I have in India. Not close. Not even comparably close. I also suspect I have seen a lot more of India than most Indians, even the wealthy ones. And I've certainly seen a lot more of the western world than the vast vast majority of Indians, even the incredibly wealthy ones.

Interesting place India. Everybody should go see it - but from a second class reserved train carriage or a long distance bus. Not on these new Locos or via a charter trip to Goa.

As always, make sure your Hep A cover is up to date and if you are offered a bottle of water for less than 10Rp it's probably been filled up from the local lake.

corsair
22nd Oct 2008, 11:27
Well I suspect the attitude to the poor in India is similar to that of many right wingers in the west. It's all their own fault. Thus we can spend any money of pointless quixotic exercises to enhance 'national pride' secure in the knowledge that we have done out best for them and we can do no more because they can't or won't help themselves.

That general attitude prevailed in the west for a long time right up to the 20th century. We have changed but other countries can't or won't change. India being typical but not the only one at fault. Plenty of fingers can be pointed at plenty of countries.

India, though, really ought to be doing more for their poor. There is no real excuse for the level of poverty you can see there. In what is a relatively sophisticated, technically advanced country and an old civilisation too.

Now the accusation will be that we don't understand the situation, that we don't understand the culture, the history and in any case it's probably all our fault due to our attitude to the third world. We'll be told that these people are given every chance but fail to grasp it. That they're stupid and pre-disposed to poverty and degradation. And in any case we in the west have no right to speak of it until we have eliminated all our poverty. The usual excuses for doing nothing. In any case it's none of our business.

So off to the moon we go!

Cap'n Arrr
22nd Oct 2008, 11:55
Seems theres a bit of thread drift here... the original question was why is so much aid being requested by and sent to India, when they can afford to run a space program, as well as their none-too-small commercial success.

While I agree, no nation is perfect, especially with regards to helping the less fortunate, the question is, I believe, is India now capable of sustaining a system of helping stop poverty without outside aid, given the amount of money they are able to spend in other areas?

I am quite unfamiliar with the situation though, so apologies if I have the wrong idea

HAWK21M
22nd Oct 2008, 12:09
Its true....Poverty exists in India as extremely rich people do too....There is a definite divide.
however the poor in Mumbai living in sheds are mostly migrants from rural areas working in Mumbai as they feel the wages will be better,unfortunately the realestate prices of mumbai are abnormally high.
Even a eight sq ft area costs 3-5 Lakhs :)

About Aid.I believe the Government of India should def refuse to accept aid from the world.

On the ISRO project.Its a great achievement & a constant rise.Thanks to the efforts of all involved.

regds
MEL

frostbite
22nd Oct 2008, 12:56
Marginally more illogical than London hosting the 2012 Olympics.

6000PIC
22nd Oct 2008, 13:40
Human nature is a funny thing isn`t it ? If the poor people in rich countries continue to give money to rich people in poor countries would you really expect the recipients of such "aid" say " No thank you , we`ve got enough " ? (Keep it coming baby ... kinda comes to mind.)
Should it stop ? Sure. Will it ?.. `Doubt it.
Well done India on joining the Space Club ! The government has realized that the future could possibly lie in the exploitation of all what surrounds us as well as giving a current boost to National Pride.. it`s one of those a "win - win " blah blah blah blah scenarios the PR people give. After all , you must have something for all those PhD`s to " do " ......, or they`ll just piss off to NASA , EASA , or perhaps Russia or China. Keep hold of that intellectual property or you`re doomed in todays age.
They`ll get to looking after their people as a whole later. Shame.
JFK would be blown away by it all.

Scooby Don't
22nd Oct 2008, 13:41
Ahh, but the moon program could actually help alleviate poverty.

Think of the profit potential! A vast piece of real estate which, as yet, has no convenience stores. It's a ground floor (or moon floor) opportunity! :}

bear11
22nd Oct 2008, 18:02
Does the rocket have a Kingfisher logo, and have to enter the hold for 3 hours before it's allowed to land on the moon, does it have an expat Captain driving it on a FATA? Who paid the bill for the rocket fuel? How long would it take by train?

Scooby Don't
22nd Oct 2008, 20:04
The actual moon satellite is getting a smooth ride in the nose of the rocket, but all the other satellites that jumped on at the last minute are finding it pretty draughty riding on the outside, especially as they're sharing space with several goats.

mr fish
22nd Oct 2008, 21:37
bet the second indian on the moon opens a shop:E

BigEndBob
22nd Oct 2008, 21:40
Remember a figure of 500 million being quoted as aid paid to India.
They being the highest recipients.

But then again, perhaps the US of A could spend more on poverty in the States rather than spend money on shuttles.

TURIN
22nd Oct 2008, 22:40
If Mr Brown wants to continue his pheonix like rise from political ashes he had better do something about this policy announced in January 2008 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7198546.stm)

Widger
22nd Oct 2008, 23:32
Co'mon people it's much more significant.......a nuclear capable country is now a Ballistically nuclear capable country! They have joined the big boys club. That is what it is all about.
:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh::eek:

Buster Hyman
23rd Oct 2008, 03:59
:eek:

They're gonna Nuke the Moon????

:eek:

West Coast
23rd Oct 2008, 04:19
They're gonna Nuke the Moon????

Hey, the US owns the moon! I simply forbid it, well at least until if we check for oil there.

fitliker
23rd Oct 2008, 05:00
825 millions .No wonder Britain cannot afford to win the war in Afghanistan .

lowerlobe
23rd Oct 2008, 06:50
a nuclear capable country is now a Ballistically nuclear capable country!
I think you'll find that India has had that capability for some time.....

So the real truth is that ....this is more about India opening the first lunar call centers.....

lowerlobe
23rd Oct 2008, 06:53
And since the Indian Government has that much money I believe that we should start applying to India for Aid...:E

treadigraph
23rd Oct 2008, 08:49
Perhaps the next Bollywood Blockbuster will be "Surya 13"

"Hindustan, we are having a problem"...

Anyway look on the bright side, if they are photo-mapping the moon, perhaps there will be irrefutable evidence of the Apollo missions to silence the conspiracy theorists.

Buster Hyman
23rd Oct 2008, 08:55
Wouldn't it be funny if, when they land there, they find a Pakistani flag?:E

sitigeltfel
23rd Oct 2008, 10:16
I have been watching Paul Mertons tour of India and could not help contrasting some of the scenes in the series with the obscene expenditure on this prestige and pointless project. They say one of the main experiments is to find water on the moon. What will they do when they find it, bring it back for the millions of their countryfolk to alleviate the lack of clean drinkable water and sanitation?

As for those who say it is for the goverments of countries to pursue their own research and development without the interference of "colonial" interests, I suggest they go out into the slums of the major cities in India to get first hand opinion of what is really important.

BlueWolf
23rd Oct 2008, 10:28
India gets lift-off on first mission to the moon - 22 Oct 2008 - NZ Herald: International and World News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10538916)

India gets lift-off on first mission to the moon
3:23PM Wednesday Oct 22, 2008

NEW DELHI - India has successfully launched its first unmanned mission to the moon.

Chandrayaan-1 blasted off from the Sriharikota space center in southern India into the dawn sky Wednesday in a two-year mission aimed at laying the groundwork for further Indian space expeditions. Chandrayaan means "Moon Craft" in ancient Sanskrit.

Mission control says "lift off is normal."

Chief among the mission's goals is mapping not only the surface of the moon, but what lies beneath. If the launch is successful, India will join what is shaping up as a 21st century space race with Chinese and Japanese crafts already in orbit around the moon.

- AP

Now personally I LIKE the idea of there being another English-speaking democracy on the Moon, so good on 'em. What puzzles me, however, is WHY would ancient Sanskrit have a word meaning "Moon Craft"? :confused:
...or is that a bit like Maori having words for "cigarette", and "stainless steel", and so forth?
:cool:

TURIN
23rd Oct 2008, 10:53
What puzzles me, however, is WHY would ancient Sanskrit have a word meaning "Moon Craft"?

I guess the same way ancient Latin does.

Lunar Module anyone?

lunar (http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?stem=lunar&ending=) modul (http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?stem=modul&ending=)

:ok:

This is not a cue to start another "I know more latin than you" willy waving contest either, :8

mustpost
23rd Oct 2008, 11:29
May one humbly suggest the Mash's take on the matter?

Finger on the pulse as usual..

INDIA TO BUILD HOSPITAL ON THE MOON - The Daily Mash (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/india-to-build-hospital-on-the-moon--200810221345/)

INDIA TO BUILD HOSPITAL ON THE MOON
INDIA is to build a state of the art, multi-million dollar hospital on the moon.

A $10 billion rocket containing $1 billion worth of concrete and shovels blasted off this morning in what the government described as a 'great day for Indian healthcare'.

The lunar project will include a 2000-bed hospital and a gigantic warehouse filled with penicillin, as well 500 primary schools and thousands of disease-free public lavatories.

A government spokesman said India now hoped to become the first nation without indoor plumbing to land a man on the moon.

Charlie Reeves, a backpacker, said: "One of the first things you notice about India is all the cholera you get every time you go for a dump.

"The next thing you notice is the millions and millions and millions of children tugging constantly at your shirt and begging you for money so they can eat."

He added: "Who knows? Maybe one day one of these starving untouchables will grow up to become a spaceman."

Meanwhile, a spokesman for Save the Children, said: "Well, this is going to help us enormously."

Burnt Fishtrousers
23rd Oct 2008, 13:34
Thing is if India does develop a space program what happens when things go wrong.

I dont remember Jim Lovell going through a menu system, being put on hold , then having to listen to shite musak , then not having his issue dealt with.....then having to call back a further 3 times explaining the problem again and again ...

"If you have a main Bus A undervoltage reading press 1...."
"If youve a climb in capsule CO2 reading press 2"
"If you have a drop in O2 tanks reading press 3

"or hold for Advisor"

lowerlobe
25th Oct 2008, 06:36
This is like all the families in a street getting together to help out a family who is in hard times.They pool all their spare money and give it to them so they can get the plumbing fixed and the roof as well.

Enough so they can buy food for their kids and some clothes but instead of that the family goes out and buys the latest Ferrari...

The problem is that most countries won't stop their aid because they want trade with India....

tony draper
25th Oct 2008, 08:44
Actually in the early days of the space race the cousins did put serious thought into detonating a nuke on the Moon,"this will show those pesky Rooshians and their godammed spootnik Mr President"
Sadly the mission was knocked back.
:rolleyes:
But then again they also gave serious thought to excavating a new Panama Canal using nuclear charges.
Think big do yer Cousins.
:uhoh:

BombayDuck
25th Oct 2008, 09:12
Buster, we'll claim the Chinese put it there :E

BlueWolf - Chandra and yaan are two separate words, joined together to make a name.

frostbite
25th Oct 2008, 13:24
"This is like all the families in a street getting together to help out a family who is in hard times.They pool all their spare money and give it to them so they can get the plumbing fixed and the roof as well.

Enough so they can buy food for their kids and some clothes but instead of that the family goes out and buys the latest Ferrari..."

AKA the National Lottery.

Buster Hyman
25th Oct 2008, 13:59
detonating a nuke on the Moon

I'm sure it would've turned out alright!

http://static.flickr.com/85/241371316_a0031f06b2_o.jpg

HAWK21M
26th Oct 2008, 00:58
Considering the low cost involved in such a mission.Its a great achievement.
regds
MEL

nahsuD
26th Oct 2008, 01:48
Are we sure this is for real? There are those that doubt the Apollo Mission. Castle Moonbat anyone?

BombayDuck
26th Oct 2008, 10:14
If you want to track the mission, this link (http://n2yo.com/?s=33405) will help. The map's little use though - look through the right hand column.

BlueWolf
27th Oct 2008, 21:32
Chandra and yaan are two separate words, joined together to make a name.

Damn, I was hoping it would be something to do with the old stories - vedas are they? Flying craft, and battles in the sky, ray guns, people in space helmets, all that sort of thing, I mean how or why would people in ancient India make that sort of stuff up?

I want to believe.

BombayDuck
28th Oct 2008, 01:31
To the best of my knowledge, it is just two words put together.

Damn, I was hoping it would be something to do with the old stories - vedas are they? Flying craft, and battles in the sky, ray guns, people in space helmets, all that sort of thing, I mean how or why would people in ancient India make that sort of stuff up?

Why did Tolkein invent middle earth? :) Not saying it is all fictional, but writers and historians would never shy away from exaggerating a battle or three, would they?

The vedas don't have the stories, by the way. They are more like textbooks on science, medicine, warfare, nature and rituals of those days. Stories are better found in the Bhagvad Gita, Ramayana and Mahabharata.

lowerlobe
28th Oct 2008, 01:37
Considering the low cost involved in such a mission.Its a great achievement.
I have 2 questions..
First....How much is this mission costing and what is it low in comparison to?

Second....What is the objective of this mission and what are the benefits to India and it's population?

BombayDuck
28th Oct 2008, 08:48
Three Billion Rupees - around 75 Million USD (and less the way the rupee is tanking vis-a-vis the dollar!). I hear this is around a fourth or fifth of what a western country would. Around a third of what ISRO earns these years through commercial satellite launches. The satellite is carrying half a dozen probes - two from NASA, four from the European Space Agency. For us it is more of a demonstrator - "Look ya'll! See what all we can do! And for so cheap! Give us your satellite launch business!"

As for what ISRO does otherwise (weather prediction, water location, fisheries, communication et al), it is better covered in a book called "Touching Lives". Badly written in terms of quality of prose, but extensively detailed.

BlueWolf
28th Oct 2008, 10:18
Second....What is the objective of this mission and what are the benefits to India and it's population?

Just out of curiosity, why does that matter? Was it of measurable benefit to the various people of America, in any direct or tangible sense?

What about the Chinese? Do we question them also? :)

Buster Hyman
28th Oct 2008, 10:35
What about the Chinese? Do we question them also?
Hell no! Have you seen the size of their army???:eek:

Blacksheep
28th Oct 2008, 10:43
Size isn't everything. Its how you use it that counts. :E

lowerlobe
28th Oct 2008, 22:30
Just out of curiosity, why does that matter? Was it of measurable benefit to the various people of America, in any direct or tangible sense?

..Actually it has and even to the extent of technology filtering through to other countries....but my question was aimed at a country that still expects/wants foreign aid yet can afford to fund it's own space mission even when some would say $75 million is a low cost.

To say that it is a low cost compared to other space missions is really academic when you have over 300 million people using the gutter not only to live and eat in but use as a toilet as well.

tony draper
28th Oct 2008, 23:38
As long as they don't try renaming that Crater named after the Draper clan,there's plenty of craters on the dark side they can have, they can be named after any buggah,we important folk are on the front.
Anyway wouldn't it be cheaper to use Google Moon.?
:rolleyes:

BombayDuck
28th Oct 2008, 23:54
Do you assume, lowerlobe, that our space program does not benefit our people? This mission may not, directly, but ISRO doesn't just toss up pieces of rock in orbit for the sake of it :)

Rollingthunder
29th Oct 2008, 00:10
And that's where India should stay until they fix a few domestic major problems.

Overwhelming poverty. (India is not alone among nations in this but they are historical masters)
Continous violence between feuding religions
Massive overpopulation
Massive pollution problems
Continuous conflict with Pakistan now escalated by nuclear warheads on both sides
An archaic and discriminatory toleration of the Caste system
Honour killings

Having these problems and more as well as accepting AID make the space program a ludicrous flight of fancy by a nation that does not have it's priorities in good order.

Sits on helmet.

lowerlobe
29th Oct 2008, 01:25
BombayDuck..Do you assume, lowerlobe, that our space program does not benefit our people? This mission may not, directly, but ISRO doesn't just toss up pieces of rock in orbit for the sake of it
That was the question I asked...when a country which asks for aid and has 300 million living,sleeping and using the footpath as a toilet spends $75 million or whatever it cost then I question their priorities...

I have no doubt that the Indian space program benefits Indians.

My question is how many?

I agree that India is not the only country that seems to have it's priorities somewhat askew.There are a number of Asian and African countries that spend an inordinate amount of money on their military when the population need real help...However,on a per capita basis India is arguably at the top of that list.

When a country has pressing (and that is putting it mildly) domestic needs and problems I don't think entering the space race should be high on your agenda....

By all means earning revenue to put satellites into space is one thing but I question the benefit of sending a vehicle to the moon...

max1
29th Oct 2008, 03:41
Did it help Ishant Sharma to get reverse swing?
Did they put Harbijan onboard?
Answer the important questions.

BombayDuck
29th Oct 2008, 08:22
max1 if only they'd. Add Sree Santh and I would have been doubly happy.

Too early to compose a long response but I will just say this:

1) I don't approve of my country accepting foreign aid either.

2) Rollingthunder you've acknowledged we have a hostile country as our neighbour. You may have forgotten we have another one to our north east, one with a population larger than ours and with a larger military. Do you not see that our space program has a direct impact on military tech? Was ANY of your countries going to sell us IRBMs to keep China in check? Didn't think so. So we've had to set up our own research just to make sure some of our nukes could reach Beijing to deter them. And who the hell cares about Pakistan, the major reason we have nukes is because China has them too. A nice side effect of this of course has been the ability to put our own satellites into space.

The alternative would have been to pay other countries to either supply us with the missiles, or to set up our own communication infrastructure, or give us spy photos, or to predict our weather.

It's all well and good to say "oh, we should abandon all our research and use the money to feed the poor". Well, yeah, you try to do that when you have two countries on either side of you who have attacked you four times in the last sixty years. At some point we've got to try and build our own stuff and not depend on handouts which could stop whenever the supplier sees fit. For years we had to depend on Russian hand-me-downs. And except for the French and the Israelis, historically we have been given equipment by western countries that was old or rejected. (The Gnat? The refusal to sell engines?)

So we've needed to strike a balance somewhere. I won't say we've got it right, but I'll damn well say it wasn't a wrong decision.

This mission exists to tell other countries that "look folks, we can send a satellite all the way to the moon! We are reliable and cheap. Now give us your satellites and we'll put them up!" - in business terms I believe they call this a "loss leader" - something you spend money to make that does not give direct returns, but makes people buy other products and get money back through them. It is like an ad campaign.

So thank you for your overwhelming concern of the poor in my country. It is really nice to know so many of you care. I'll be damned if I regret this project though.

bah, I need my coffee now.

lowerlobe
29th Oct 2008, 22:52
BombayDuck....

No one is saying that India does not have potentially hostile neighbour's or that she does not have the right to her own security and communications.

My point was that a mission to the moon is of little if any benefit to the Indians who live in abject poverty.This to me shows the Indian governments tacit approval of the caste system which is paradoxical when you remember the Indian governments stinging criticism of South Africa's Apartheid system by labelling it racist.

Most countries that developed a launch vehicle to place satellites into orbit did so after developing a ballistic missile capability and India is no different.Using this technology to earn revenue is of definite benefit to a country however my question is how much of this wealth translates to the people who really need it...and in this case a moon mission.

After reading your post I thought I would look at the ISRO site and see the objectives of The Chandrayaan-1 mission. and how that would help the general population of India and it's security with Pakistan and China...
The Chandrayaan-1 mission is aimed at high-resolution remote sensing of the moon in visible, near infrared (NIR), low energy X-rays and high-energy X-ray regions. Specifically the objectives are
To prepare a three-dimensional atlas (with high spatial and altitude resolution of 5-10 m) of both near and far side of the moon.
To conduct chemical and mineralogical mapping of the entire lunar surface for distribution of mineral and chemical elements such as Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Calcium, Iron and Titanium as well as high atomic number elements such as Radon, Uranium & Thorium with high spatial resolution.
Now,BombayDuck..if you can tell me how that translates to helping the average Indian in the street I'd appreciate it.

In Australia we have our own domestic problems like any country but if we were to ever spend the money to send a vehicle to the moon it would be a huge waste of money and we don't have around 30% of our population living on the streets.

BombayDuck
29th Oct 2008, 23:28
Did you read the last but one paragraph of my post? If you want to debate at least argue against what I've said; do not skip it completely and reiterate a point which I have attempted to counter.

lowerlobe
29th Oct 2008, 23:47
BombayDuck...So thank you for your overwhelming concern of the poor in my country. It is really nice to know so many of you care. I'll be damned if I regret this project though.

I did but I have already said that the lunar mission is a waste of money whereas the satellite launch system's and capability are not.Sending a satellite to the moon is not really the issue because it is a redundant exercise.

Mapping the moon is not really going to help India in real terms but in political terms is really about keeping up with the Jones...and in this case the Jones are the Chinese.

My point is that with the number of people living in poverty then perhaps that $75 million US or more could have been spent on housing and other infrastructure but we all know that is not going to happen because of the caste system....but you have already said that you don't regret the lunar mission so you obviously think the money is well spent in that area.

lowerlobe
3rd Nov 2008, 06:47
I understand exactly why they are wasting lots of their money and others aid money when their people are starving.I wouldn't expect anything else.
LR3...An interesting response if more than a little cryptic..

Does this mean you expect it or agree with it?

sthomasarbor
14th Nov 2008, 14:18
greetings,
do think the money is better spent improving the lives of the poor, as far as aid ,from what i know it comes with strings attached .
the generosity of the donor is rarely to alevieate the misery of the poor.
anyone read confessions of an economic hitman?
regards s.

chuks
14th Nov 2008, 16:50
I am sure there are programs in place that are meant to alleviate poverty in India, just as there is this space program.

It might seem a bit heartless but I would bet that $75 million spent on space will show a lot more progress to the rest of the world than the same amount spent on bettering the lot of the Indian poor.

If I have a satellite I want put into orbit cheaply, do I really care about one poor soul more or less sleeping on a Calcutta, sorry, Kolkata sidewalk? Even Jesus Christ said of the poor that they will always be with us, which sounds like the verbal equivalent of a shrug to me.

In fact, I would be interested to hear of one single, major country, world-wide, that really devotes most of its efforts to poverty relief. Every one I can think of off the top of my head has plenty of hard-up people with it usually being so that there must be some form of charity without really meaning to eradicate poverty.

deepi_cool21
5th Dec 2008, 10:52
Well i am an Indian in India at the moment .. and please dont get me started about the condition here.....:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:
to be honest when the :mad:ing government does not give a :mad: to their people why should you guys send them money :confused: ???? and guess what i didnt even know we get aid from overseas...:eek:
its not called thinking selfish .... its called being practical ....

i apologize in advance as i know this may offend someone.... but thats just my opinion .

HAWK21M
6th Dec 2008, 07:51
Technology advancement has to continue on its own pace.
regds
MEL

Tyres O'Flaherty
6th Dec 2008, 08:52
All very well, yes a country has to aspire, & high tech can force it along to greater wealth in the long term ( which may or may not trickle down...).

But still, why are WE giving 800+ Million aid if they can afford to do this ?.

& build nukes.

?

I'd ask for the f***er back

GRRR

BombayDuck
6th Dec 2008, 10:37
tyres - we're with you! Most of us did not have an idea that we get aid from Britain! I wonder how much of it goes to a) line the pockets of our politicians and b) is a bribe to favour British industries in deals between the two countries. I'm sure the intended recipients don't see it any way....