PDA

View Full Version : Military Technology - Release to the public?

SoundBarrier
22nd Oct 2008, 00:26
This is inspired by the UFO thread. There are occasions we hear of technology that the military is holding on to, top secret etc., which could benefit everyone. Now I am the first to admit that I have bu**er all evidence to support my theory other than a few movies, some heresay and my own cynical view of government agencies.

Let us say, for example, that some military somewhere has found an alternative to fossil fuels. Copper piping and and an EMF for want of a better example, to propell aircraft (this is an aviation thread after all). Why not release this technology to the rest of the world for further development and refinement to reduce our reliance on oil and have better faster cheap planes?

So of course the first answer comes to mind, in the interest of National Safety, well what about morality? Who gives two hoots if you have a different flying method to me, but lets work together to help everyone.

Um, what am I trying to say? No idea. I'll come back after a visit to the rant thread and see if I can make sense of what I'm asking.:ugh:

G-CPTN
22nd Oct 2008, 00:31
The exact details of this engine are covered by the UK's Official Secrets Act and there is consequently little public information about its operation.
RB545 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RB545)

SoundBarrier
22nd Oct 2008, 00:38
Yeah - What G-CPTN said! :)

con-pilot
22nd Oct 2008, 00:47
Well, let's see. From the US Military we have given you;

GPS.

HUD.

Aircraft cockpit IRS vision.

That for starters.

AntiCrash
22nd Oct 2008, 02:40
Agent Orange

Land Mines

Radioactive Fallout

and my favourite: Water Boarding!

GENTLEMEN, THERE IS NO FIGHTING IN HERE! THIS IS THE WAR ROOM...

con-pilot
22nd Oct 2008, 02:47
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c246/con-pilot/340_4050.jpg

brickhistory
22nd Oct 2008, 02:48
Water Boarding!

Amateur.

Check out Chinese history for the origins.

henry crun
22nd Oct 2008, 03:46
If there "are occasions we hear of technology that the military is holding on to, top secret etc", it is not a secret, top or otherwise, or am I missing something here ?

Buster Hyman
22nd Oct 2008, 03:54
I think you'll find that it's the fuel companies that hold all the patents for alternative fuels...:bored:

radeng
22nd Oct 2008, 09:27
Radar was 'secret' in 1939. Except the Germans, Italians, Americans, French, Russians and Japanese were all working on it, and it was 'secret' everywhere. In many ways, the German radar was the most advanced in terms of hardware. Jet engines were 'secret' too.....

dead_pan
22nd Oct 2008, 15:46
I think you'll find that it's the fuel companies that hold all the patents for alternative fuels...

Not to mention all the patents relating to inventions which dramatically improve fuel consumption - have heard various stories of high efficiency petrol engines which have been bought over by oil & automotive companies then put in a wooden box in a warehouse along with the Ark of the Covenant.

As noted above, plenty of gadgetry has been spun off from the military around the world (strangely, not that much from QinetiQ since it was privatised ;)). I'm sure there's a lot more where this came from - just got to be patient I'm afraid.

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Oct 2008, 17:17
GoreTex

Velcro

Space Blankets

All of the above from NASA some time ago.

Assuming that 'the military' has technology that could benefit mankind in general such as propulsion, 'they' aren't exactly displaying any advantages to my poor eyes. You would have thought that if they did have such advanced means that are top secret etc the bad guys (interpret at will) would be dominated and rounded up pdq. The opposite seems to be the case... :confused:

However, the profit(s) of the main players is/are assured.... :hmm:

regards

SHJ

forget
22nd Oct 2008, 17:22
Well, let's see. From the US Military we have given you;

GPS.
HUD.
Aircraft cockpit IRS vision.

That for starters.

:p Starters my ar*e. You couldn't think of any more.

PS. HUD? 'Murcan. :confused:

Thought not

In Great Britain, it was soon noted that pilots flying with new gun-sights were becoming better at piloting their aircraft.[citation needed] At this point, the HUD expanded its use beyond a weapon aiming instrument into a piloting tool. In the 1960s, French test-pilot Gilbert Klopfstein created the first modern HUD, and a standardized system of HUD symbols so that pilots would only have to learn one system and could more easily transition between aircraft. 1975 saw the development of the modern HUD to be used in instrument flight rules approaches to landing.[1] Klopfstein pioneered HUD technology in military fighter jets and helicopters, aiming to centralize critical flight data within the pilot's field of vision. This approach sought to increase the pilot’s scan efficiency and reduce “task saturation” and information overload.

Lon More
22nd Oct 2008, 17:51
Forget Don't let the facts get in the way. The Murricans secretly developed it at the same time that they cracked the Enigma Codes.

and what's the Inland Revenue Service doing in the cockpit?

Loki
22nd Oct 2008, 18:07
Speaking of the Enigma codes, the world`s first electronic computer was developed at Bletchley...Colossus. A lot of the know how for that must have fed into the civilian sphere after the war.

con-pilot
22nd Oct 2008, 18:09
Starters my ar*e. You couldn't think of any more.

PS. HUD? 'Murcan.

Thought not

Dear forget,

In your unchecked, unbridled rush to correct an imagined error, that you seemed to believe I made in my post, by using poor sarcasm and disguised profanity you have seemed to have missed the mark. If you had bothered to read the first post by the originator of this thread and correctly read my post in reply you would have noticed the the term, or word, invented/invention was never used or inferred.

The title of this thread is:

Military Technology - Release to the public?

Nothing at all about who invented/created what.

Also, just in case you are unaware of this fact, the US Military very seldom invents anything. Private companies and/or individuals invent/creates things for the US Military from requests and needs of the US Military. The atomic bomb being a notable exception.

Therefore, it is my belief that, from personal memory, as frail as that may be, it was the US Air Force that released HUD technology to the civilian market. If I am in error in that, I stand to be corrected and not by not so cleverly veiled insults.

Now, any snide remarks or comments on GPS?

Thank you for your attention.

c-p

forget
22nd Oct 2008, 19:06
My my Con-pilot, we are in a strop, aren’t we. Ar*e may be a profanity in your particular part of the Bible Belt - but not the rest of the world.

But back to the point. Please find me any evidence that commercial HUDs came about as a result of the US Military ‘releasing technology’. Even had they done so, it would have been the release of European technology. Check out who makes your military HUDs, under licence from, or using Patents from …… ?? :)

Low Flier
22nd Oct 2008, 21:40
So funny that we are discussing this matter through this communications medium.

The internet is a spinoff from the Arpanet research project.

con-pilot
22nd Oct 2008, 21:59
Please find me any evidence that commercial HUD came about as a result of the US Military ‘releasing technology’. Even had they done so, it would have been the release of European technology.

Sigh, one more time I am not debating where the technology was invented. But from which military released it to civil applications.

The first widespread practical use of a HUD system was used on the A-7 Corsair in the 1970s. Later the same year the first civil application was tested on a Douglas DC-9 20 by NASA jointly with the FAA.

To be sure there were at least 12 other types of HUD systems tested in different countries around the world, the first full practical system was installed on the A-7 aircraft (American) and that technology was tested on a DC-9 20 series (also American) for civil use possibilities.

Just for your information the first recorded idea on the possible use and design of what is now known as the Heads Up Display was by an US Army/Air Force test pilot based at what is now called Edwards Air Force Base or Wright Patterson Air Force Base in 1946. The French experimented with the idea, but the first aircraft that was fitted with a primitive HUD was British aircraft in 1960, I cannot recall the type of aircraft, it was a fighter I believe.

Early leaders in the HUD development were Elliott and Kollsman Industries.

WorkingHard
22nd Oct 2008, 21:59
Low flyer, just for the sake of correctness, I am sorry to say you do not have access to the "internet"; your access is only to the WWW unless you have a clearance that you would not wish to disclose!

forget
22nd Oct 2008, 22:23
Me --- Please find me any evidence that commercial HUDs came about as a result of the US Military ‘releasing technology’.

You ---- Sigh, one more time I am not debating where the technology was invented. But from which military released it to civil applications.

Me. :ugh::ugh: I give up.