PDA

View Full Version : Identify the aeroplane.

evansb
21st Oct 2008, 18:54
Can you identify this aeroplane? I don't know where or when the photo was taken.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/old-plane.jpg

aviate1138
21st Oct 2008, 21:56
Anzani 3 cylinder radial? And there's something Italian about the panel beaten cowling?

But the window frames have an Eastern European look to them........or South American?

Not the foggiest what the aeroplane is but that tailplane is quite distinctive.......

Must stop drinking this Chilean Merlot........

twochai
23rd Oct 2008, 12:59
If evansb cannot identify it, there's not much hope for the rest of us!

Are we sure this is a real airplane, not a refugee from an amusement park ride? With the massive cowling, slab sided fuselage panels and the miniscule area of the fin, rudder and tailplane surfaces, even with a substantial moment arm the directional and longitudinal stability would have been virtually non existent.

pigboat
23rd Oct 2008, 13:51
Looks like the stitching could have been done by Dr. Frankenstein.

There was something called the Christmas bi-plane that proved to be a real winner. Maybe that's the Christmas mono-plane. :p

evansb
23rd Oct 2008, 14:40
Well...not much rudder area, yet there appears to be a variable incidence elevator/horizontal stabilizer. The building appears to be of western European design. Perhaps the photo was taken in the late 1920s, or early 1930s?

twochai
23rd Oct 2008, 14:59
The most effective stability augmentation that I can see is that grab handle on the LH wingtip. I bet it was more useful than the rudder pedals or the stick!!!

S'land
23rd Oct 2008, 15:18
I have seen a similar photograph some years ago. The problem is I cannot remember when, where or if it is the same aircraft. I have a niggling feeling that it is something to do with an Italian university project, possibly Torino or Milano. My reason for saying this is that I think the photograph that I saw was on a TV programme on Italian aviation when I lived in Italy.

RETDPI
23rd Oct 2008, 18:03
Similar is not the same as same.
However with the oddity presented , the trailing edge of the aileron is scalloped, betraying a probable wire trailing edge, as used in early Fokker and Albatros types.
The rear fuselage has that Fokker "look' about it and I think we are possibly looking at a tailplane "sans elevator" to make comfortable aerodynamic sense. The fin shape is not D.V11.

However if you examine the rear part fuselage of the Fokker D.IX in this shot (note the panels and stitching) and compare it to the unknown and unmarked mystery aircraft.......?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/gjquick/fokker_d-9.jpg

Now, as the one example of the D.IX went to the U.S.A. for evaluation by the U.S. Army in 1922 and was subsequently abandoned, might the shot possibly be from the U.S.A. of some post airframe disposal "Bitsa"???
(One could reasonably presume the original Hispano Engine would have been retained by the U.S.Army).

The Flying Pram
23rd Oct 2008, 20:25
I showed this to my father, who came top of the class in Aircraft Recognition during his time in RAF, and he was stumped! He did think the wing had a Heinkel 112 look about it though.

evansb
16th Nov 2008, 20:03
Thanks for the info. It does look a bit Fokker-ish. The flying tailplane looks like it has a swept leading edge. It is probable the photo was taken at a University, perhaps in central Europe. Any architecture fans on this forum?

Bri

RETDPI
17th Nov 2008, 06:08
I just don't think its an all flying tailplane.( Sorry, re-reading my post it is ambigious and misleading).
I'm wondering if the elevator in fact, is there , but slightly "up" and thus obscured.(Note the apparent presence of elevator horns and rods on the tailplane underside connecting to the fuselage).
Totally agree the architectural route is a good avenue -somebody might just have the"aha" moment on that .

Dick Whittingham
17th Nov 2008, 08:30
What about the (equestrian?) statues behind the a/c. Any art lovers out there

Dick

RETDPI
17th Nov 2008, 08:42
Perhaps we could try contacting surviving members of the 'Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band' ?