PDA

View Full Version : Pilot UFO Encounters

MerlinV8
21st Oct 2008, 18:58
Today on the news an airline pilot said he saw a UFO and radar controllers said it flew off at 20 times the speed of sound, have any other pilots out there has such experiences?

RAPA Pilot
21st Oct 2008, 19:15
Nop never been 20 times the speed of sound but I have seen an unidentified airline pilot:E

Ask sizzler from Aurigny. He saw a youfo last year over head Alderney.

Brian81
21st Oct 2008, 20:27
I've seen a number of strange things in my short time as an ATCO. Both on a radar screens and out of the window.

I keep quiet about them for a number of reasons;

1. They are probably not aliens from another planet (distance in time & space etc); IF the sighting is a physical object - they are more than likely top secret military projects & I don't want to be the one who ruins the wargame.

2. I'm not scared of ridicule, but I would get tired of it (on here and in-unit).

3. I'd be concerned with any media attention drawn to whatever unit I was working at - after all they employ me.

The list goes on.

In the case where it 'affected' operations (or would've if the runway was being used); I reported it through the relevant channels & left it to the people who care about such things. I'm happy that I heard no more of it.

If the world wasn't such a cynical place I'd happily list all my close encounters but as it is - my lips are sealed! :ok:

Hahn
21st Oct 2008, 20:40
Your colleagues will call you a loonie, your medical will be withdrawn and your company will fire you. So nobody will talk about UFOs but will enjoy the occasional beer with ET. Cheers!

Major Nevitt
21st Oct 2008, 22:10
mmmm. was keeping this to myself but ..........

The Saturday just gone at approx 22.15 local I saw a number of lights in the sky over Lichfield. They were in a very loose formation approximately resembling The Plough. There were no nav lights, no strobes, no contrails and there was no sound. I was not working at the time (or drinking!) and had a friend with me who could not identify the lights either. They looked like orange street lights in the sky. The lights moved from west to east fairly quickly. I could not gauge how high they were (not low) so could not really describe their speed. An aircraft flew between them and us (could be heard clearly) and appeared to be moving slightly faster than them but he was a turbo prop in the region of FL150 at a guess. I was so intrigued I rang the tower at my base (ema) and asked if anybody had reported anything. I got politely laughed at hence keeping this to myself. My mate did not even tell his wife even though he was convinced the occurance was out of the ordinary.

dead_pan
21st Oct 2008, 23:26
Saw something on the tellybox a few years back which really intrigued me, having a strong interest in all things scientific. The programme was about UFOs and in it a US scientist demonstrated a very strange phenomenon by which a copper coil could levitate itself if when a very large electric current was passed through it (presumably using the Earth's magnetic field as the opposing force). It was suggested that technology utilising this phenomenon had been developed by the US for use in top secret 'flying vehicles'. Could explain a lot, particularly if combined with stealth and hypersonic technologies. The truth really is out there.

Have seen a few odd things whilst out and about - most can be explained away - distant aircraft, setting sun, Venus, my habitual LSD usage etc etc.

777fly
22nd Oct 2008, 00:06
This may become a lengthy thread and anyone posting may be deemed as 'loony', myself included

For what it is worth, I have been damaging the lower stratosphere since 1967 and nothing would have made me happier than to fly in formation with a glittering UFO full of waving green aliens. Nothing like that ever happened through 1000's of hours of hopeful lookout, although I have witnessed spectacular satellite re-entries, awe inspiring meteor showers and scary, unmentioned meteorological phenomena.

However, just for the record:

1. In the early 1970's I was on a flight ex-UK to Moscow. As we entered USSR airspace over northern Poland, cruising at FL330, we observed a luminous sliver object, in the shape of a bullet, apparently suspended in space some way above us. We assessed that it was stationary , to judge by relative movement, but at a considerable altitude. Local radar advised that they had no contacts in that area ( but maybe thay had to say that?) We suspected a high altitude balloon, but the controller denied any such activity and our sighting did not not give any indication of wires, canopy or gondola. Also, relative motion suggested that the object was at least 3 times our altitude. We reported the sighting to UK ATC later, but no feedback was received. Conclusion?: probably a secret high altitude research balloon.

2. Early 1980's we were in cruise northbound over former Yugoslavia ( near Belgrade). An American crew came on the radio: 'Speedbird XXX, we observe a bright V shaped object following your aircraft' Speedbird reports nothing seen. American observer reports ' object is glowing white, very big, triangular shape, following right behind you. Speedbird reports no visual. Radar controller asks for more detail, advising that nothing is on his radar, asks American a/c to advise further. American pilot reports later that the object becomes dimmer and is moving away, then 'uh, it kinda looks like a cloud now...'

Both encounters of the first kind.

My wife was a cabin attendant way back in time and was crew on a flight UK to Gibraltar, on the southern tip of Spain. Prior to descent she was called to the flight deck to observe, against the setting sun, a huge cigar shaped object, which had bright objects entering, leaving and manouvering with it. At least 4 other commercial jets saw the same thing and Spanish fighters were sent up to investigate. Make of that what you will.......

Lexif
22nd Oct 2008, 01:08
The Saturday just gone at approx 22.15 local I saw a number of lights in the sky over Lichfield. They were in a very loose formation approximately resembling The Plough. There were no nav lights, no strobes, no contrails and there was no sound. I was not working at the time (or drinking!) and had a friend with me who could not identify the lights either. They looked like orange street lights in the sky. The lights moved from west to east fairly quickly. I could not gauge how high they were (not low) so could not really describe their speed. An aircraft flew between them and us (could be heard clearly) and appeared to be moving slightly faster than them but he was a turbo prop in the region of FL150 at a guess. I was so intrigued I rang the tower at my base (ema) and asked if anybody had reported anything. I got politely laughed at hence keeping this to myself. My mate did not even tell his wife even though he was convinced the occurance was out of the ordinary.Major N., this sounds a lot like one of those asian-style paper lanterns that got popular recently. They work like hot air balloons and indeed look a lot like orange street lights in the sky. From the ones I've seen, it's very easy to think they are flying much higher and faster than they are, as even at low altitudes, you can't discern any distinct features and they look just like dots of light. When I saw them flying for the first time, I wondered about their nature, until I saw one of them catch fire and fall down! They often fly in formation when a group of them is released as a party gag.
Here is what I think they look like (more or less): Image:Flying paper lantern (6).jpg - Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Flying_paper_lantern_%286%29.jpg)

MerlinV8
22nd Oct 2008, 04:42
Great to hear all the different experiences, I'm keeping an open mind......I was amazed after watching some videos on YouTube, this one from the space shuttle YouTube - NASA UFOs: STS-75 The Tether Incident (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JuFBUS0kiSA) and YouTube - STS-80 UFO - Best high quality version yet (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FJyuQVIFdKo&feature=related)

This one from a 747 YouTube - AMERICANS & PEOPLE OF THE WORLD!!, LISTEN UP: UFO DISCLOSURE 2007 @ WASHINGTON DC, NATIONAL PRESS CONFERENCE MEETING. PART 13 OF 15 (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYlM9LlDzM)

13thDuke
22nd Oct 2008, 08:14
I had a meal in the work canteen yesterday. I couldn't identify what it was, but that doesn't mean I thought it was of alien origin.

UFO just means that you don't know what it is. The leap of logic that assumes because of that, it could be from planet Zarg, is not a sign of intelligent life on this one.

As (nearly) always - Occam's razor.

MerlinV8
22nd Oct 2008, 08:36
Duke it sounds like you might have had a close encounter of the third kind...Haha

I am however curious to know how many pilots during their careers actually see UFOs, and of course I'm not saying that they are all little green men from outer space....but do people stop from coming forward through fear of ridicule? if there are craft from other planets visiting they seem to have total disregard for controlled air space and at the very least should be made to carry transponders!!! :E

Here's a video of Capt Ray Bowyer and it does not seem to bother him YouTube - UFO ALIEN - Captain Ray Bowyer (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ChH68YYttic)

Wod
22nd Oct 2008, 08:40
I'm with the Duke's brigade.

U does not stand for extra-terrestrial.

ET stands for extra-terrestrial.

The eye and the mind make strange connections; which is why I always thought LSD was superfluous for anyone with a half decent imagination.

The fact that some UFOs are never satisfactorily explained is fine by me. As is "I don't know" as an answer to a question.

But some people want "an explanation".

Humanity is what we are, I guess.

Major Nevitt
22nd Oct 2008, 10:05
Lexif

Thank you for your reply. I would not rule this out as a possibility.

I always try and keep an open mind. I have a significant number of colleagues who have seen things that they can not explain. Just over a year ago myself and a fellow pilot saw something that we could not identify. It was a first for me so when flying with other pilots I casually asked if they had seen any "ufo's." A significant number had. I heard of variety of stories told in a very matter of fact manner.

Some of these are documented but the majority are not.

M

ShyTorque
22nd Oct 2008, 10:13
A similar conversation to this was taking place in the pub last night when I arrived. The non flying locals asked me, as a pilot, if I'd ever had a close encounter of any sort. I hadn't but know some that have and told my story.

It got me thinking. It was a beautiful starlit night and as I wended my way home across the park I couldn't help gazing skywards. Silly as it seems, I knew I was looking, almost hoping for an unusual event of some sort. As I looked carefully from the Pole Star across to the Milky Way, it happened. I saw a strange bright light crossing the sky from south to north. Suddenly, to my complete horror, something very, very unpleasant happened to me.

I stepped right in a big dog poo. :(

Damn! A close encounter of the turd kind. :yuk:

henry crun
22nd Oct 2008, 10:47
My only unusual encounter happened while heading east at about fl350 across central England, it was a brilliant clear night with the moon low on the eastern horizon.

There, not far below on the starboard side, was a gold coloured long cylindrical shaped glowing object keeping pace with me.
Suddenly it started a wriggling movement, first away to the right, then it came left until it disappeared under the nose.

My first reaction was, WTF was that ? Then the penny dropped with a loud clang, it was the reflection of the moon on a river. :O

corsair
22nd Oct 2008, 11:10
Well one night as I put the bins out. I noticed what looked like a landing light in the sky, assumed naturally it was something inbound to the nearby airport. But it was bright and kept going away from me rather faster than it should be. I would have assumed it a landing light would appear to come closer. Puzzled I watched it disappear. over the horizon. Had I seen my first UFO? Well it was a spacecraft but not alien in origin, although definitely foreign. I eventually concluded it was in fact the International Spacestation. So it was an IFO.

dead_pan
22nd Oct 2008, 12:57
International Spacestation

My son and I are both obsessed with spotting ISS and other satellites (slightly more socially acceptable than plane spotting I like to think). You can get a heads-up on what is around using the following web-site: www.heavens-above.com (http://www.heavens-above.com). Just plug in your locale and time zone and it will tell you what will be overhead and when (the timings are incredibly accurate). Its actually quite exciting waiting for them to appear - definitely a winter hobby when the nights are longer and generally clearer.

Had a particularly memorable experience a few months ago when we saw ISS being 'chased' by the space shuttle - the latter was on finals, if you could call it that, prior to docking. Both were clearly visible with the naked eye and I suppose could quite easily be mistaken as UFOs by the un-initiated.

Try it out if you have kids - it will fire up their imaginations (no LSD needed Wod)

PS Why has no-one mentioned Aurora??

13thDuke
22nd Oct 2008, 13:06
I like that dead pan.

Good call Sir!

MerlinV8
22nd Oct 2008, 13:12
So Dead Pan, are you saying you can see the space shuttle while it is in orbit with the naked eye? or is that the naked eye using a telescope?

I bought my nephew a telescope for his birthday a few years ago, I think I'm gonna pinch it back!

verticalhold
22nd Oct 2008, 13:32
Dead_pan;

Great site, thanks a lot. I live on the East Coast of the UK and regularly get to see the ISS, especially in winter. To see it with the naked eye gives you an impression of how big it really is. One day it will make a very big splash like Skylab. Just hope I'mnot under it:uhoh:

MerlinV8
22nd Oct 2008, 13:39
Just checked out the site Dead Pan, pretty cool.....it moves quick, the length of New Zealand in the space of about a minute!

dead_pan
22nd Oct 2008, 14:44
MerlinV8 - naked eye w/o any optics. That said, it is just a bright dot in the sky, depending on what time of night it appears and its angle of incidence to the sun (heavens-above gives you data on the intensity of sunlight reflected). Apparently if you use high mag binos or telescope you can make out details of ISS e.g. the solar panels. It is a big old beastie, getter bigger by the year and, yes, it will eventually do a Skylab.

I was taken aback by quite how fast both travel across the sky - they're moving at a fair old whack.

corsair
22nd Oct 2008, 15:30
Thanks for the link Deadpan, was trying to find that website again. Have been trying to find an Iridium flare for a while. 'Iridium flare' is a very science fictiony term isn't it.:) 'Sulu launch an Iridium flare' 'Aye Capn'.:ok:

futurshox
22nd Oct 2008, 18:29
I love heavens-above, have used it for many years. I have seen Iridium flares (in broad daylight, too!) and used it to see the same ISS-Shuttle tailchase across the sky a few months back, as was mentioned earlier.

Here's a very cool shot that was on APOD the other day of the ISS through a telescope: APOD: 2008 October 16 - 48 Years of Space Flight (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081016.html)

bubbers44
22nd Oct 2008, 19:50
I was flying from Miami to Cali one night knowing I would be around Panama City an hour after sunset so pulled up Panama City on Heavens Above. I wrote down the time and position for the ISS and Hubble telescope that night for Panama City and saw both cross in front of us 45 minutes apart. West bound flights flights would give a wide window for viewing.

BlueWolf
23rd Oct 2008, 02:20
What if extra-Terrestrial life turns out to be NOT intelligent? I mean what if their starships are made out of wood, or whatever their local equivalent might be, and powered by coal, or Xzybigon juice, or with big sails made out of the shells of some strange galactic reptile, designed to catch the solar wind? And what if they've just set off to explore the Multiverse, with no real idea of how they're going to get home, and they bring all sorts of exotic drugs and diseases with them, not to mention strange religions, and they want to breed with our women?
:uhoh:

MerlinV8
23rd Oct 2008, 02:26
So you have met them already? :}

BlueWolf
23rd Oct 2008, 03:35
They walk among us, I'm sure of it. :suspect:

Bob Lenahan
23rd Oct 2008, 03:52
Never had any kind of sighting while flying, however, had the opportunity to fly one once. Very advanced technology, and very interesting. I thought the model I was in ("they" said it was 2nd generation) was great to fly, but it was actually quite sensitive on the landing.
Bob.

MerlinV8
23rd Oct 2008, 06:58
Thats fantastic Bob, :ok:

Seeing as you have had the grand tour of one, maybe you can answer this question, when they are travelling at many times the speed of sound, the spacecraft don't produce the bang that breaking the sound barrier causes? is that due to the type of anti-gravity propulsion sytem they have displacing the air evenly around the craft?, and was it a smooth ride? do they prefer control yokes or joy-sticks? and did you see any enemy star destroyers on your travels?

Oh so many questions I have! :E

Bob Lenahan
24th Oct 2008, 16:49
Didn't have the chance to get into a serious dicussion about systems or aerodynamics, so can't answer many of those questions. I sat in the seat and put my fingers in small depressions with sensors on the seat arms. However, I had problems trying to fit my thumbs into the sensors on the inside of the seat arms, but the pilot explained that using the thumb wasn't necessary (apparently like the rudder - at least on the 727). The control was done thru my "thought waves". I questioned what if I were to over control and roll it or over-stress it and ther pilot said that his brain waves were recognized by the system, so he could overide my inputs.
At one point I asked what would happen if, for example, one of the sensors were to fail, and they all looked at each other confusedly. I asked the question in a different way, and apparenetly they understood because some of them began laughing to themselves. One of the crew then said that asking about any type of system failure would be equivalent to somebody asking what would happen on Earth if "the gravity system" failed. So, obviously the next question was, what happened at Roswell. Apparently that question was off-limits, as next thing I kjnew I wasa int a dazeding state staindinng ouwtside the subway entrancee.:confused:
Hope that helps.
Bob.

MerlinV8
25th Oct 2008, 01:37
That's amazing Bob!!..... I wish I was there!

Damm it! you mean they won't even talk about Roswell....I think they are just trying to pull some sort of prank and get kick's out watching us walk around the desert looking for answers.

Next time maybe you can make an excuse like you need to use the bathroom or something, have a look around the ship for any paperwork on Roswell, I would try the captains quarters first.....;)

Jetex Jim
25th Oct 2008, 16:05
...and they bring all sorts of exotic drugs and diseases with them, not to mention strange religions, and they want to breed with our women?
I don't know, but I bet the Daily Mail will be catatonic when they get here.

Jetex Jim
25th Oct 2008, 22:07
It's all explained here.
"The Hunt for Zero Point" by Nick Cook An editor for the esteemed Jane's Defense Weekly says the U.S. government has been working on Nazi anti-gravity technology in secret for 50 years.

Die Glocke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell)

Acording to the theories of some physicists, a torsion feild of sufficient intensity can bend space around the generator. The more torsion you generate, the more space you alter. When you bend space , you also bend time.
Were the Nazi's doing some time traveling towards the end of WWII ? Did persons of interest , to use todays Homeland Security lexicon, escape into the future, ...our present ??

con-pilot
25th Oct 2008, 22:35
Alright, who brought up Roswell? :mad:

Confess now, it will be easier on you. We will find you. :suspect:

Nothing happened in Roswell, nothing at all, never, nothing happened at all, especially in 1947 in Roswell. Nothing ever happens in Roswell. Nothing has ever happened in Roswell.

Nothing to see here, move on now, nothing to see at all, move along.

I thought the model I was in ("they" said it was 2nd generation) was great to fly, but it was actually quite sensitive on the landing.

I really didn't have any problems with the landings myself, did have a little shift problem in the trans-warp transition.

Apparently that question was off-limits, as next thing I kjnew I wasa int a dazeding state staindinng ouwtside the subway entrancee.

I was luckier than you, I ended up at the 'Sunset Beach Bar' in St. Maarten with a beer in my hand.

Jetex Jim
25th Oct 2008, 22:56
True, nothing happened at Roswell, here's how we know.
Abstract - In July 1995 the CIA declassified, and approved for release, documents revealing its sponsorship in the 1970s of a program at Stanford Research Institute in Menlo Park, CA, to determine whether such phenomena as remote viewing "might have any utility for intelligence collection" [1]. Thus began disclosure to the public of a two-decade-plus involvement of the intelligence community in the investigation of so-called parapsychological or psi phenomena. Presented here by the program's Founder and first Director (1972 - 1985) is the early history of the program, including discussion of some of the first, now declassified, results that drove early interest.
CIA-Initiated RV Program at SRI (http://www.biomindsuperpowers.com/Pages/CIA-InitiatedRV.html)

shedhead
25th Oct 2008, 23:09
this (http://www.jonronson.com/goats_04.html) is a good insight into the remote viewing thing.A good read too!

MerlinV8
26th Oct 2008, 07:02
Ahh, ShedHead,

I followed your link and got to the bit about the most gifted men in the US Army killing goats just by staring at them, now thats just silly! we know the US Army isn't that gifted......

Sheep on the other hand, well thats a different story! there is a sheep out there sitting behind a big desk with lots buttons, a video wall and controlling all of us! why do you think cows are found mutilated for no reason in their paddocks, just practice meat before they come after us!.....Beware of the sheep!

Binoculars
26th Oct 2008, 10:43
Biggles saw one between Horn Island and Weipa one day in 1981. In a terrible state he was when he came in to tell us about it. Hands shaking, shifty eyes darting sideways alarmingly, all in all one of the worst acting performances I've ever seen. Believe he went on to fly big jet thingies. Tosser.

To all the controllers who see these mysterious things on their radar, don't you find it a little amazing that they all have approved transponders to let you see them?

Good idea keeping it all mum, I think. We don't want to inspire panic, do we, now?

MerlinV8
26th Oct 2008, 14:06
Binoculars,

"To all the controllers who see these mysterious things on their radar, don't you find it a little amazing that they all have approved transponders to let you see them?"

What about when there are witnesse's and radar did not pick them up? that seems to happen alot....:bored:

Binoculars
26th Oct 2008, 14:31
Ahh, sneaking in underneath the radar?

I remember there was a Spanish controller on my initial course. He had no idea of Oz ATC procedures and spoke only correct idiomatic English; what chance did he have of understanding our journals? Poor bastard had to go home every night, show the relevant pages to his delightful Australian wife, get her to translate them into some sort of idiomatic Spanish so he could understand, then back into English so he could answer the exam papers.

Why were we going to Spain to find controllers? Because it seemed like a good junket for the powers that were. To justify their European jolly they had to bring back a few controllers. Jose, wherever you are, and I doubt you ever got through, my sympathies are with you. And you never once complained about all the Manuel/Barcelona jokes. You're a better man than I.

MerlinV8,to get back on track, it's amazing that almost all the reported sightings with details given can be proven earthly manifestations. Is it then coincidental that all the unexplained ones have no verifiable details attached?

Like Houdini, I would love to hear evidence of intelligent lifeforms visiting our shores, or even our skies, but I remain a skeptic until proof is provided. Why do so many of them choose to visit such an insignificant blot in the solar system, nay verily, the universe? Methinks we assign ourselves a level of importance way above that which we deserve.

Do any of the UFO disciples believe in Jesus Christ? If so, why? Surely the word of God is all that's needed. Listen up you guys, I made the whole kitten kaboodle in seven days OK? Or was it the seventh day I lay down for a rest? One or the other, you know how the memory fades as the eons move on......

In fact I think I may be just about due for another rest. How long has it been now? Since Mary died my memory hasn't been the same. No, not Mary Magdalene, you heretics! My virgin mother who raised me to follow in her footsteps. Yawwnnnn.

Oh goodie, there's a financial crisis, this is a good time to back out and reaffirm that it's all man's fault.....

Let's see, haven't visited Alpha Centauri for a while; Peter!! get me a taxi or a reindeer or something.

Jetex Jim
26th Oct 2008, 15:49
Truly bino's, despite your great taste in music, you have swallowed the official line. However -

http://blog.starwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/iron_sky_warbonds_poster.jpghttp://www.ironsky.net/site/images/wb1.jpg
YouTube - energiaproductions's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/energiaproductions)

weido_salt
26th Oct 2008, 16:33
oh I have seen some strange things to say the least. I now always have a camera in the cockpit, as years ago, when I didn't have a camera handy I would have paid anything, I mean anything to have had a camera handy.

henry crun
26th Oct 2008, 21:56
Binos: Did you ever read about the Kaikoura sightings ?

Two controllers on separate occasions watched returns on their radar which corresponded to what the pilots were seeing.
I subsequently knew one of the controllers quite well, a level headed chap, not given the flights of fancy or hallucinations, perhaps just like you were.

Oh, and New Zealand didn't have secondary radar then, just a bog standard primary only Marconi 264.

MMEMatty
27th Oct 2008, 21:28
There was that strange goings on i heard about in Kaihoro, New Zealand, in the late 80's.

Whole town is said to have disappeared, although i don't know about that exactly...

BlueWolf
27th Oct 2008, 21:34
Kaihoro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Taste) :ok:

MMEMatty
27th Oct 2008, 22:18
Bah, spoiled my fun... was hoping for some Urban Legend notoriety there!

2close
4th Nov 2008, 16:58
Now I know I'm not mental and not given to seeing things but a few weeks ago (16th October) , SLF'ing my way into 30 at Cardiff up the back end of a 737 at just before midnight, we were crossing the Brissle Channel, setting up on final when I happened to look out of the window to the south towards the Avonmouth(ish) area.

Hanging there about 1,500 - 2,000' AGL or so was what looked like a dark red, glowing, shimmering balloon type shape. It didn't seem particularly big but it was difficult to tell, I'll admit.

I watched it closely and it just seemed to stay off our left side but seemed to be several miles away. My first thought was that it was something over the coastline but it definitely followed us for a while out over the channel then seemed to stop. I kept looking back at it until it went out of sight but it was definitely still there.

I checked my alcohol and drugs intake - nil on both counts - and did my nine times table to see if I had gone mental during my hour long snooze.

So unless I have finally lost it and I am seeing things does anyone have any ideas what it could have been in that area? Apparently there have been several sightings of weird unexplained flying objects over that way.

Cheers for any info (P*** taking permitted ;))

2close

G-CPTN
4th Nov 2008, 17:13
Do they fly hot-air balloons at night? (Apart from those attempting inter-continental trips?)

Kolibear
5th Nov 2008, 12:49
like a dark red, off our left side

We call those 'navigation lights'

13thDuke
5th Nov 2008, 14:48
what looked like a dark red, glowing, shimmering balloon

does anyone have any ideas what it could have been in that area?

Any chance it could just have been a dark red, glowing, shimmering balloon?

dead_pan
5th Nov 2008, 19:49
dark red, glowing, shimmering balloon type shape

Perhaps it was the reflection on the window of that outsize spliff your FO had just lit?

OwnNav
6th Nov 2008, 13:12
I did my Night Rating with the Captain of this one (the 737 not the UFO), makes yer think .......:eek:

A BRITISH Airways passenger jet had a close encounter with an unidentified flying object while landing at Manchester airport, an official report disclosed last night.

The Boeing 737, with 60 people on board, was overtaken at high speed by a wedge-shaped craft as the plane descended through 4,000ft on the final stages of a journey from Milan. Captain Roger Wills reported that the UFO, which was emblazoned with small white lights and possibly a black stripe down its side, flashed silently down the side of the jet so close that his co-pilot, First Officer Mark Stuart, involuntarily ducked as it went by.
There was no sound and no wake but both pilots were so concerned that they filed a formal "airmiss" report. The Civil Aviation Authority launched an investigation, the fourth such incident since 1987, and after a year-long inquiry concluded yesterday that they could find no likely explanation. The three previous reported sightings also baffled the CAA experts.

The incident happened at 6.48pm on January 6 last year with the aircraft just above the clouds and visibility at least ten miles. Then air traffic controllers had the following conversation with Flight 5061: B737: "We just had something go down the right-hand side, just above us very fast."

Manchester: "Well there's nothing seen on radar. Was it an aircraft?" B737: "Well, it had lights, it went down the starboard side very quick."
Captain Wills and First Officer Stuart are certain that the object was solid and not a balloon, a model aircraft or even a military Stealth aircraft which the captain had seen before and would have recognised. Both pilots should be commended for their courage in submitting a report, the investigators said.

2close
6th Nov 2008, 16:21
Well, I asked for that didn't I ? I loved the comments, guys. :ok:

I have now noted that Hinkley Point Power Station inside R153 was the approximate location of my 'sighting' / 'spliff induced visitation' so maybe it was a bunch of the local workers gathered together for a late night shindig.

TURIN
6th Nov 2008, 22:19
OwnNav, I remember that one too. I met the aircraft in and had to clear the tech log.

Just one "defect" entered - "ANOTHER flying object passed close down the staboard side."

Action taken - aircraft inspected for possible wake turbulence damage - non found.

The Capt and FO were visibly shaken, or at least they appeared that way to me.
Gawd knows what they saw, but it was real enough.

Dined out on that tale for years.:ok:

Capt Kremin
6th Nov 2008, 23:14
Unfortunately the term UFO has become inextricably entwined with notions of alien visitations and the crackpots that topic attracts.

The fact remains there is a sizeable proportion of these sightings that are reported by credible aviation witnesses and are unexplainable in terms of what we know, or think, is the cutting edge of modern technology.

Pilots need to be a bit more forthcoming with these sightings, and we can all help by objectively listening to these reports without lapsing into the labelling of these events as hallucinations or such.

There ARE Unidentified Flying Objects around. I don't think they are aliens, I think the answer is more terrestrial. The sooner we start objectively investigating these sightings, the sooner we will clear up the mystery.

G-CPTN
6th Nov 2008, 23:19
UFO:- It's a 'plane, Jim, but not as we know it . . .

dazdaz
6th Nov 2008, 23:34
Makes one think, of all the billions of stars systems out there in our universe why haven't we on our earth had a 'fly by' of some advanced civilisation technology craft?

Were sending probes to our outer solar system, messages via SETI costing millions of $$ looking for a reply. Do you honestly think this vast amount of $$ would be spent without a statistical probability that there may some day be a reply.

I have another scenario... The whole of the SETI project is just a cover. The governments of the US/UK and others are subsidising this 'fake' search when they know 80/20 probability that there is a more advanced civilisation living on our earth, and possibly been here longer than us homosapianes.

Something changed our DNA from monkies, sure as hell, weren't by chance.

G-CPTN
6th Nov 2008, 23:38
If you were really clever, you would develop the 'stealth' concept to its ultimate and have invisible craft . . .

dazdaz
6th Nov 2008, 23:46
G-CPTN
I think they tried that idea back in the 40s Philadelphia experiment? Men moulded into the gun decks?

Lon More
7th Nov 2008, 00:23
Belgian Air Force Sightings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyhy6IsQBko)

BenThere
7th Nov 2008, 00:29
I'm working on my third year aloft, and been around the world a hundred or so times, and I've never seen anything I couldn't explain terrestrially.

I've seen a lot of shooting stars, though. Some of them were spectacular. And the Northern Lights in the Arctic regions can be magical.

I guess it's like God - I haven't seen, but I can't say for sure it doesn't exist.

dazdaz
7th Nov 2008, 00:30
Nice to see this thread going from the :mad: taking to a more serious discussion.

con-pilot
7th Nov 2008, 00:35
I have, as I have related in Pprune before, seen UFOs before. On at least two occasions. On one occasion my sighting was backed up by the other two pilots in the cockpit and other pilots on the ATC frequency. However, that is what we saw, we saw Uknown Flying Objects. Not little green men in flying saucers.

I didn't know what they were then, don't know what they were now and still don't care.

Now, if a flying saucer with little green men lands in my back yard, you guys will be the first to know, okay, maybe the second or third. ;)

dazdaz
7th Nov 2008, 00:45
Lon More...
Nice link......I just get pi:mad:ed off ......A Few Good Men. I suspect:ugh:Jez,z they even helped to build the GP.That's another story.

dazdaz
7th Nov 2008, 01:05
Con-Pilot..............
"On at least two occasions. On one occasion my sighting was backed up by the other two pilots in the cockpit and other pilots on the ATC frequency. However, that is what we saw, we saw Uknown Flying Objects. Not little green men in flying saucers"

Con...Little Green men aside.....Was it a 'nuts and bolts' craft? I take it the ufo must have been solid? Re: ATC radar 'bounce back'

con-pilot
7th Nov 2008, 02:43
Con...Little Green men aside.....Was it a 'nuts and bolts' craft? I take it the ufo must have been solid? Re: ATC radar 'bounce back'

Don't know, nobody asked ATC about it. We just saw something out of the cockpit windows that we could not explain. End of story.

dazdaz
7th Nov 2008, 02:56
"sighting was backed up by the other two pilots in the cockpit and other pilots on the ATC frequency"
My apologies, I thought ATC had some echoes.

con-pilot
7th Nov 2008, 03:21
My apologies, I thought ATC had some echoes.

No, my fault, I should have posted, "same ATC...". :ok:

dead_pan
7th Nov 2008, 20:38
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyhy6IsQBko)Belgian Air Force Sightings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyhy6IsQBko)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyhy6IsQBko)

Could hardly call them intelligent life forms if they ended up in Belgium. Didn't they do any research before setting out?

Does make me laugh though, thinking about those poor Belgium b*ggers in their F16s or whatever. Presumably they have to spend most of their time orbiting Brussels in fear of violating their neighbours airspace. Must drive them barmy - its no wonder their imagination runs amok every once in a while.

TURIN
7th Nov 2008, 20:49
Something changed our DNA from monkies, sure as hell, weren't by chance.

Quite right, more like random genetic mutations.

There's a big book all about it written by a chap called Darwin.:ok:

Lon More
7th Nov 2008, 22:14
Presumably they have to spend most of their time orbiting Brussels in fear of violating their neighbours airspace.

Actually they don't as a look at a low level chart would prove. The climb out from e.g. Kleine Brogel is mainly in the Amsterdam FIR :}

For your info I listened to the intercepts as they happened. The pilots were convinced that they were following something. A number of high ranking BAF officers came on tv and backed them up.
My money however is on something from the other side of the pond rather than the other side of the galaxy

Tepoztlan Valley
8th Dec 2008, 15:47
I am not a pilot, but joined the forum hoping to glean first hand accounts from pilots on what they have seen.

It's interesting to note the initial tone in the thread which shows a weariness, on behalf of some, to report anything strange they have seen through fear of being labelled a "looney"!!!! That is a shame, as obviously people have had experiences that may contain vital evidence but are not willing to share through fear of ridicule..........

In answer to DazDaz's post regarding the possibilities of advanced civilisations on earth, I would suggest you read "Fobidden Archeology" by Michael Cremo (Forbidden Archeology - Michael A. Cremo (http://www.mcremo.com/)) which propses that advanced human life has been around on the planet for millions of years and that a lot of Darwin's evolutionary theory does not stand up. One particular "spanner in the works" was the discovery of the bones of an advanced human race in stratas of rock INSIDE Table Mountain in EDIT:- California which date to 3.5M years ago. It kind of blows the evolutionary theory out of the water.

Just in a quick response to G-CPTN, USAF (and therefore by default NASA) have cloaking technology which is alraedy in use, has been for 20 odd years. The masses just don't know about it, which when you think what cloaking is intended to do, is the result they were looking for.........

ShyTorque
9th Dec 2008, 23:53
Just in a quick response to G-CPTN, USAF (and therefore by default NASA) have cloaking technology

So do the Flogs..

bugg smasher
10th Dec 2008, 03:24
Don't know, nobody asked ATC about it. We just saw somethingout of the cockpit windows that we could not explain. End of story.

That pretty much sums it up. I think that anyone who watchesthe sky as intently as pilots do, not by choice, but by professional necessity,will eventually see something that canít be explained in ordinary terms. Very bigsky out there, full of light, movement and stars, not something we designed orcan possibly comprehend.

There are things passing strange Iíve seen once or twice inmy long years at high altitudes, feel very privileged, awestruck even, the incomprehensionof it all still baffles me. But it exalts me as well, we are not alone, of thatI am certain.

As someone famous once said, donít ask me what, and for Godíssake donít shoot me for the telling of it, Iím just the damn piano player.

bugg smasher
10th Dec 2008, 03:30
Has anyone else noticed that posting in a font other than the Pprune standard results in dropped spaces and indentations?

Loose rivets
10th Dec 2008, 05:43
I happened to see a bit of film about this captain, only this summer. I still think it's the sighting that outshines anything before or after...except perhaps from the book of Ezekiel - his wheels within a wheel. Another line of argument perhaps.

UFOs in the Bible: Ezekiel's Wheel, 593 BC - Cheber River, Chaldea (in modern-day Iraq), - 593 BC - UFO Evidence (http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case493.htm)

To quote myself:

Wadda ya know? I Google'd it and got my own posting from way back.

I have come across my copy of the "The Centaurus Incident" Sorry to be in haste. just snippits

June 29 1954 Labrador Capt James Howard and it says a BOAC Centaurus Boeing Stratocruiser Ė though i could have sworn that the Beeb interview said Imperial Airways ó but it was years ago. Idlewild to London 9:05 pm F/O Lee Boyd

One big lighted object - with six smaller ones in attendance. 8 crew and 14 pax saw object change shape ó size of an ocean liner

Navigator George Allen watched closely the whole time said " it looked as though they went inside the big one"

Just found this: Go down to a paragraph just under Classic black triangle or some such. They don't allow cut and paste.

The Why Files website your portal to unexplained phenomenon. Discover the facts about UFOs and Alien Visitation (http://www.thewhyfiles.net/triangle.htm)

It was the sheer number of reliable/sober people all agreeing on the facts that make this so intriguing. Also, the time they had to observe this happening. I recall him saying words to the effect, that 'while this was happening, we had a wonderful feeling of wellbeing.'

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Dec 2008, 05:47
One particular "spanner in the works" was the discovery of the bones of an advanced human race in stratas of rock INSIDE Table Mountain in South Africa which date to 3.5M years ago. It kind of blows the evolutionary theory out of the water.

Do you have a link to any peer reviewed data for this?

BlueDiamond
10th Dec 2008, 05:56
I think the reference may be to a ten year old press release (http://virtual.yosemite.cc.ca.us/anthro/NEWS/major_fossil_find_at_sterkfontei.htm) from Witwatersrand Uni. relating to anthropological discoveries at Sterkfontein, Rusty. I've been unable to find anything of this nature connected to Table Mountain ... which is a little odd given the all-encompassing nature of the net.

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Dec 2008, 06:02
Nothing about modern (relatively) human remains found in strata that predates them AFAIK, Ms BD. Cave floors yes, strata no. I live a few miles from Sterkfontein and have spent a fair bit of time in the area.

BlueDiamond
10th Dec 2008, 06:34
Nothing about modern (relatively) human remains found in strata that predates them ...Correct ... and unless Table Mountain has developed the ability to change locations, none of these finds is anywhere near it let alone in it. Perhaps Tepoztlan Valley can provide references ...?

Here is some more info about the Sterkfontein area (http://www.southafrica.info/travel/cultural/sterkfontein.htm).

Cpt_Pugwash
10th Dec 2008, 10:14
BD, SRT,

I think perhaps TV was referring to Table Mountain, Tuolemne County, California in his previous post. If you follow his link to Forbidden Archaeology, and open the 4th or 5th door, it shows a cutaway section of the alleged find sites.

Rgds,
PW

BlueDiamond
10th Dec 2008, 10:25
That could explain it then, Cpt_Pugwash ... although he did clearly say South Africa ...

... in stratas of rock INSIDE Table Mountain in South Africa...

Tepoztlan Valley
10th Dec 2008, 10:43
Sorry, mixing my mountains! I have just returned from SA. The Table Mountain I am refering to is indeed in California. Geography is not my strong point, no pilot for sure!!!!! :)

I can tell by the nature of the skepticism that I have probably picked the wrong forum on which to post this. Apologies.

BlueDiamond
10th Dec 2008, 11:21
Well I don't know if you would be likely to find a "right" forum, Tepoztlan, but even you must realise that scepticism is a very good thing. Without it we would never question anything and no advances in science would ever be made. We might still, for example be believing that the world is flat, if nobody had ever doubted that idea and gone on to prove that it's round. And it is a valuable truth that sceptics make the best believers. Once you have provided enough evidence to convince the most hardened sceptic, you will know you have proved your case.