PDA

View Full Version : Four Star Air Cargo

VictoryAviation
21st Oct 2008, 16:50
Does anyone have the scoop on 4 star air cargo. I'm starting at the bottom (2nd career type guy). Based on having just entry level pilot experience ,I'd like to FO in the Caribbean cargo world. Just a little concerned on maintenance and other general practice type issues.

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
22nd Oct 2008, 02:27
I flirted with them for a little bit. It was tough to say no, but I just couldn't take the job. Basically, they returned my email for a position offering me an interview on a Tuesday for the following Monday and starting training the next day. That was all well and good but money is a little tight for me right now and though I live in Miami, the stuff I can't sell I'd have to move back up north to my parents' in Providence and they offer no relocation assistance...

On the positive side, they recruiter I spoke with was friendly and genuine, I could they wanted to help their employees but the problem is that of most companies in the Caribbean $$$$. No medical, no benefits, and like most companies south of Broward County... no taxes. Pay up front is $50 per "flight credit" which equates to between 1 hour and 1.5 hours of flying depending upon route. She said the pilot who wants to fly as much as possible will pull between 8 to 12 "credits" per week depending up wx, mx, and whatever. The result... your looking at about $2K per month. She also mentioned the oppurtunity to work in the mechanic's shop as an assistant to earn extra, but didn't give a number behind it, I figure working and flying crazy 12 hours days 6 days a week will probably net you maybe $3K? on an awesome month (pre tax of course). I was told upgrade to PIC is about a year to year and a half, (no idea about pay raise).

When it comes to transportation and travel, your pretty much on your own the airport Luis Muniz has no buses to the cargo portion (meaning having to buy a car right away) and she couldn't offer much assistance to a gringo that would stick out like a sore thumb.

Don't get me wrong, despite all that said I'm sure its a great job, its just theres no way I could afford it. Even today a DC-3 type would definitely look great on a resume and would impress any old time chief pilot looking to hire you down the line. Again I'd love to have taken the job there was just no way it was feasable financially for me, especially on such short notice.

When I applied in early October their mins were 1000TT, she said they had over 200 responses which dwindling down pretty quick, last ads I saw were for a week ago wanting at least 300 so they may have filled their positions right now... but sit tight cargo has a high turnover!

Hope it helps!

VictoryAviation
22nd Oct 2008, 12:00
Dear Heavymetal:

Thanks, super info,,,good luck to you. :)

belliott
22nd Oct 2008, 19:06
Their pilot group recently went on strike..... be careful if you decide to go down there.

THRidle
23rd Oct 2008, 08:01
The Ol' DC-3 might bring a tear to a glass eye, but most chief pilots today would rather see " Jet" or "Turbine" or " Glass" in your logbook.

beachbumflyer
23rd Oct 2008, 18:49
I wouldn't go there :=

Round Engine
24th Oct 2008, 12:53
"I wouldn't go there" Explain?

You don't think its a good idea to be involved with Four Star ?

or

You don't think its a good idea to say DC-3 on a resume is outdated?

beachbumflyer
24th Oct 2008, 19:17
It looks good on a resume, I think, but you'll be taking too many chances
flying with those companies.

contrabando
26th Oct 2008, 15:27
I flew with Wild Man Paul Wikander at Virgin Air for 2 years back in 83 & 84. Four Star was our neighbor.

1) Crime in St. Thomas was terrible 20+ years ago. I can't even imagine what it would be like now. I rescued a pilot being beaten by two local punks at the old airport at 2am one night. Real tough. They hauled ass when they found out the odds were near even. If you ever need help from the Cops...good luck. Yes, Obama for President.

2) Crowding from hordes of tourists on the cheap track was making me wonder why the island didn't sink under their weight. Sometimes 7 cruise ships would tie up or park just offshore...dumping even more tourists that didn't get off the airlines, polluting already polluted waters etc.

3) Surly & crappy attitudes of the locals. I've flown all over the world (now in Sudan) & this is without a doubt the WORST place for surly attitudes from the locals.

4) The infrastructure was falling apart with electricity going off several times a day.

My recommendation: Stay the hell out.

Also, ever try loading 6,000+ pounds of cargo by hand into a DC-3? I have & "it ain't no fun" especially in 95+ degree heat.

Ever flown a DC-3? I have. It flies like a winged pig. One of the most over-rated aircraft in history. A Lockheed Lodestar will fly circles around it & carry almost as much.

Good luck.

Round Engine
28th Oct 2008, 15:04
Wow Contrabando - strong words there. It makes me very sad that the DC-3 has to get a bum reputation because of the people that operate it. The DC-3 is sedate and forgiving, but "handling like a pig"?. Having some experience of the Caribbean DC-3 mechanics, I suspect the airplane you flew was as badly rigged as the others I saw in the same area. The pilots by en-large were of atrocious quality too - with shocking witchcraft and supertstition prevalent. Four Star I believe are making a conscious effort to improve the operation and shake the reputation they have. Flying big radials is not for sissies - but it helps a lot if you do it right.

"Ever flown a DC-3? I have. It flies like a winged pig. One of the most over-rated aircraft in history" :eek: That statement was just to get a rise out of some people, I suspect.

I have flown the DC-3 plenty enough hours and I KNOW where it got its good reputation from. Its a good airplane and it deserves its praise. If anything the fact that scheduled airlines still operate them should bear that out.

737baby
19th Nov 2008, 02:56
Does anyone have additional info on the Four Star Air Cargo pilot strike? I am very interested in working there....but not on those terms.

chums4
13th Feb 2009, 16:01
There was no strike just pilots backing each other up.

B Sousa
13th Feb 2009, 18:47
Contrabando.. You had to walk by our hanger there Air Center Helicopters. Hop on over to the thread on Seaborne. Tower Dog worked for Paul about the same time you did.. Paul by the way hung it up a couple years ago. He and the F,A&A didnt get along very well.
I still have my wholey Four Star T shirt given to me by one of the mechs there. Bunch of good guys. Times there have seriously changed with new ownership. It would behoove someone looking for work there to put their face in the door first. I dont have the latest.
Again if you want to be an island person, check the pissin contest on the seaborne thread and it will give you an idea of the "local" attitude.
Other than that it was sweet to see those DC-3s all around the islands......

P.S. They have really neat T Shirts, I need another one.........

GlueBall
14th Feb 2009, 01:19
Hey, they're still around . . . ! Must be doing something right. I remember seeing a Four Star DC3 and Four Star Twin Beech at SJU about 20 years ago!

flyrScott
14th Feb 2009, 06:19
Seriously! Carefull of this company. I flew down there for a while with another pax commuter and it was great, always wanted to fly the DC3 but no way would I ever fly for them.

They are in the old Tol Air hanger in San Juan, Four Star is now owned and ran by a Stewart Diamond and corporate hq in Philadelphia. Even if they offer you a job with 100TT, dont do it, its companys like this that drive pay and credibility down for everyone of us.

Plenty of flying jobs in and around PR that are better.

Cape Air
Vieques Air Link
Seaborne
Air Flamenco
Air Sunshine
Fly BVI (be carefull of them though too)
Air Tahoma

ATPMBA
14th Feb 2009, 13:24
I was recently in San Juan and the USVI. Four Star caught my eye with their all DC-3 fleet. I done some googling on them and I'm not sure what to make of them. Their main HQ is in Philadelphia run by a Harvard Educated lawyer who teaches law and has an MBA from Wharton. The next in command holds an ATP, Wharton MBA, Merril Lynch hot-shot and ex Navy Seal. I played customer and requested a cargo quote. Talked to a pleasant fellow, they basically charge $90 for anything under 100 lbs.

There bio's are online and intially thy look very impressive but then I have to wonder as it seems they get a new challenge every 6-18 months.

Again, not sure what to make of Wharton MBA's running DC-3's. You would think they would be more forward thinking.

So is this just a hobby business? Or a front for the CIA? That ex Navy Seal may have connections and having 3-5 DC-3 could move a lot of stuff around on a short notice.:mad:

B Sousa
14th Feb 2009, 16:23
ATPMBA
There are a lot of Navy Seals today, some even were......
What I saw from the hanger next door was a good group of hard working Mechanics and a company running DC-3s making money when the Turbine boys were hurting.
Something happened , I believe it was the death of the or one of the owners and the chaos began. Ended up with the new kids on the block coming to save a profitable company. The rest is now what we see. For more current, your going to have to stick your nose in the door, I have no clue and can only speak about what I saw in STT.
As with any cargo operator there is a chance some sureptious dealings exists. American Airlines brings in Coke from Columbia. That does not mean they know about it.... Front for the CIA, doubtful, I think your watching to many Bruce Willis movies.

You would think they would be more forward thinking.

I think thats what got them in the mess. DC-3s were paid for and making a profit. Buy some new fangled $30 Mil whatever and there goes the black ink.

TowerDog
14th Feb 2009, 18:26
Aye Four Star:

I was in STT when they were born and knew the initial folks.
My ex-wife flew for them for a while.

Still see 'em aorund now and then and if I was a young guy need'n to build time, that would be a good gig.

When I flew DC-3s out of STT back in the 80s, the left seat was mine after some 30 hours on the right side. Easy enough airplane if one has tail-dragger background.

Ever flown a DC-3? I have. It flies like a winged pig. One of the most over-rated aircraft in history.

Hmm, never heard that before.

A Lockheed Lodestar will fly circles around it & carry almost as much.

The Lodestar was a good airplane but never a commercial success like
the -3. Wonder why?

As far as I am concerned the DC-3 is a fine flying-machine and all other DC-3 pilots agree.

Specifically what is the "winged pig" indications?

B Sousa
14th Feb 2009, 18:34
Somebody down there was running a twin beech doing cargo etc. It was really looking tired. What was so cool was him taking off. The sound of those engines screming down the runway really made my day. Max climbing right turn....wow.

Saw one of the twin beeches from someone on Virgin Gorda a few years ago. Wheels up, made a mess of the props. No problem, jack it up and fly it off to somewhere. Engine Inspections?? we dont need no F:mad:in engine inspections...............zoom gone in the night.
FAA..........probably heard about them down there, saw more than one person tell them to F:mad: off and they did. No sense making work when you have a guaranteed check every month. no quesions no problems and island life is good............

TowerDog
14th Feb 2009, 20:54
Somebody down there was running a twin beech doing cargo etc. It was really looking tired. What was so cool was him taking off.

Well, lets see: Virgin Air had one. An intependent guy named Slocum had one and was active out of STT before Flying Tigers hired him.

Then Bohlke in STX had a blue Beach 18, G model with "walking gear".

I got a few hours in each of those airplanes..Liked the DC-3 better, more room, less work.

Hat of to the B-18 pilots, especially after finding out the fire bottles was wired shut, Paul did not want us to fire them bottles, too expensive to recharge you know. :cool:

B Sousa
14th Feb 2009, 21:24
Then Bohlke in STX

Speaking of a guy who did well down there. Never met him but those I know spoke well of him.

TowerDog
14th Feb 2009, 22:37
Speaking of a guy who did well down there. Never met him but those I know spoke well of him.

Yeah he is still there. Retired from AA as a B-777 Captain 2 years ago, now he is running the FBO/Charter operation out of STX. Good guy, stop by and say hello.

islandman2009
12th Dec 2009, 19:18
Hat of to the B-18 pilots, especially after finding out the fire bottles was wired shut, Paul did not want us to fire them bottles, too expensive to recharge you know. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gif

I do not know what you are talking about when you said that I did not want anybody to fire a extinguisher in any of my BE-18s. I never had a fire extinguisher in any of my Be-18s so how could I have had them wired off. I guess that shows what kind of pilot you were.

TowerDog
13th Dec 2009, 18:22
Hi Paul, small world.

Heard one of the B-18 pilots said something about the firebottles, the guy is dead now so I won't mention names.

If you never had bottles in the -18s, then it was obviously bad information.

How are you anyway, lont time, no see.
Have not seen you or the planes in STT for many years so I guess you retired?

Still on the Island?

I started flying big planes in 1988 overseas so I have only been back to STT for the occasional vacation.

Hope all is well with you and the family.

islandman2009
30th Dec 2009, 21:52
:OEverything has been going well. Retired about 4 years ago and am still in St. Thomas. We have a house in Florida that we spend about half of the year. It is in Sebastian not far from Vero Beach. Yes, the information about the fire bottles is incorrect. I never had any in the BE-18's. Be rest assured, that is if I had any they would have been working well. I may have been a little on the wild side but never took any chances with my employees or equipment. Looking back over the 35 years that I operated the airline, we still had a excellent safety record. We are very proud of that. I do not think that I could have been able to live with myself if I did not done that. Well, anyways, Hope to see you one of these days. Are you still flying?:8

Round Engine
2nd Jan 2010, 15:32
Heard in the rumour mill that 4 Star are not operating at the moment - what news?:confused:

CALLE13
6th Jan 2010, 21:08
I hope they donīt open again. The CEO, owes a lot of money to people in Puerto Rico.

I dont know how somebody that takes an airline to bankrupcy in few years can be a teacher in the The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He used to pay his employees half of the paycheck and the othe half after a week. He never paid the plane loaders overtime. He didnt seem to care when he was staying at the Ritz Carlton in Puerto Rico and renting a Chrysler 300 M for 100 usd a day.

He employs people as independant contractors and when he decides that he doesnt need you you cant claim unemployment benefits.

I still remember when he hired me he said: welcome to the best airline in the Caribbean! hahaha

He is a lier not a lawyer. When I worked there we didnt know if was a money laudring company or he was that stupid!

But if it ever opens again, STAY AWAY!

FourStar
11th Jan 2010, 23:59
Any more word on if Four Star are operating. Last I knew was only one 3 flying (N131FS) and (N135FS) being worked on

mustang0616
9th Mar 2010, 20:11
According to the St Thomas Source, http://tinyurl.com/ykubj99 , Four Star lost its mail contract in November 2009 after an FAA action.