PDA

View Full Version : Piper Seneca for freight

ATPMBA
21st Oct 2008, 14:42
Has anyone flown a Piper Seneca in a freight operation?

If you did how did you like it?

SNS3Guppy
21st Oct 2008, 15:01
I flew some years ago doing ambulance work and freight. Mostly ambulance work. it was fine. We did a lot of rough field work, mountainous terrain, night, etc. For a light twin, it's got one of the better single engine service ceiling's and performance...which isn't stellar (considering it's a light twin), but better than most.

It handles nicely, is forgiving, and reasonably economical.

It does have the ridiculously poor piper door, and the gear and spar leave somewhat to be desired for design and strength. It's easily maintained, however, and did just fine. It's a big, thick wing, and while it does have boots, I'd have some reservation about spending any significant amount of time in ice. We flew it with hot props, windshield, and wing boots...and I never considered them known ice...just tools for quickly getting out of ice. It's a light piston twin, after all.

It does have the advantage of being suited for lower time pilots, which for an entry level job works well for the employer, too.

Flying Mechanic
22nd Oct 2008, 13:15
i flew one for a while doing pax /freight, at the same was flying an Aztec, give me a aztec anyday! there are twins out there, u can get alot more volume for your money, a Seneca would not be my first choice.

bluesilk
22nd Oct 2008, 16:30
I flew Seneca 2s a long time ago both pax and freight as well as Aztecs as FM did.
I have to say from a purely practical point of view and depending on what you intend to carry the Seneca is easier to load through the rear port door whereas the Aztec only has the one door. We removed the club 4 seats and had spreader bars inserted in the Seneca and could take quite bulky AOG spares for various airlines. I don't think we could have wiggled some of those spares into the Aztecs. Just a thought.
Don't think there is much to pick and choose otherwise both aircraft fly well within their limitations.

Deltabravowhiskey
22nd Oct 2008, 17:08
A Seneca is way underpowered for carrying more than 2 people on a warm day. Engine out capability I put in the same class as an Apache 160 (barely).

A Cessna 310R with a full de-ice package is hands down the superior choice and the best option. Better performance, no turbo's, great single engine performance in all conditions and VERY easy and docile to fly.

160 IAS cruise speeds and 7-10K optimal cruise altitudes. Fuel burn if leaned out is as low as 8gph/eng

DBW

SNS3Guppy
22nd Oct 2008, 17:38
A Seneca is way underpowered for carrying more than 2 people on a warm day. Engine out capability I put in the same class as an Apache 160 (barely).

Seneca I, perhaps. The Seneca II and III are decent performers for a light twin.