PDA

View Full Version : Career Progression

planecrazy.eu
21st Oct 2008, 11:12
Hey

I am looking for some information on the career progression and career possibilities of an Aircraft Engineer.

So once you have you B1/2, whats next?

I am aware of some academic things, such as BEng/MSc's etc...

I am more interested in career progression, for example how do you work you way up, and where are you going up to and any rough time scales?

Also interested in what stage, or how do you get to the more senior or office based roles?

I am also looking for any rough salarys and benefits that may exist?

Any information will be of great use.

thanks...

pedigree
21st Oct 2008, 11:59
From my experience there are two types of engineers line and hangar. You are best to try both over your career as a starting step, after that the road to management maybe a bit boring in all honesty. I am sure some will disagree but career path could be tech services or maintenance control after line or hangar engineering. Usually hangar engineers go in tech services and line go to maintenance control. You could always go to line supervisor to line manager etc.

I would say get as many types on the licence and then do a management qualification that will make you more rounded for the next steps.

But in most organisations you will find the pay gets worse before it gets better as you come off shifts and overtime to go on management scales you wont get what you were earning as an engineer. :ok: Just my thoughts.

CWY999
21st Oct 2008, 18:00
I have details of a job available for anyone interested in full or part time work in avionics. Must be licensed, PM for details...