PDA

View Full Version : A question about license validity

harry123456789
20th Oct 2008, 14:07
Hi I am a fixed wing PPL and want to know a few things about helicopters to incorporate into a university report I have to do.

I have know what CPL/ATPL helicopter pilots must do to keep current

IS it related to fixed wing in anyway?

Namely number of hours a year, what conditions, Distance travelled

etc

Cheers guys and gals
Harry

helimutt
20th Oct 2008, 15:18
go to the UK CAA website and download a 'free', yes I repeat 'free' copy of LASORS 2008, and read it at your leisure.

LASORS: LASORS 2008 | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)

Whirlygig
20th Oct 2008, 16:29
Geez HM, you making the boy work aren't you?

In essence the rules are the same but the parameters are different.

A separate rating is required for each type of helicopter (we don't have "classes" of helicopter as such) and 2 hours per annum must be flown on each type.

In addition, a Licence Proficiency Check must be passed for each type (with the exception of some single engine piston helicopters - if you want that level of details, then look at LASORS!).

Cheers

Whirls

helimutt
20th Oct 2008, 17:07
what? I even posted the link! Can't get much easier than that. :eek:

misterbonkers
20th Oct 2008, 17:24
from CAA Form SRG1174;

Cross Crediting of Proficiency Checks;

i) For Single Engine Piston (SEP) helicopters as listed in Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.245(b)(3), the proficiency check in accordance with
JAR-FCL 2.245(b)(1) is only required on one of the applicable types held provided that the application has:
• completed at lease 2 hours PIC flight time on each of the other type(s) during the validity period to which that revalidation proficiency
check shall carry across.
• performed consecutive revalidation on different types.
--------
Robinson R22s and R44s are not included in the above - a licence holder must have a test on each of those every 12 months to keep current.
--------
ii) For Single Engine Turbine (SET) helicopters of a maximum gross weight, of 3175 kg, the proficiency check in accordance with
JAR-FCL 2.245(b)(1) is only required on one of the applicable types held, provided that the applicant has:
• completed at least 300 hours as pilot in command of helicopters; and
• completed 15 hours as pilot on each of the type(s) to which that revalidation proficiency check shall carry across, and
• completed at least 2 hours as PIC flight time on each of the other type(s) during the validity period to which that revalidation
proficiency check shall carry across.
• performed consecutive revalidation on different types.

g-mady
20th Oct 2008, 17:30
So whats required if you dont me 2 hours a year? Surely thats what the LPCs for?

harry123456789
20th Oct 2008, 18:01
LASORS is 700 pages:{-and I don't know why but I haven't been able to open it the last couple of days. I was using it at the begining of the project, but now I can't access.

So its 2 hours every year on each type?

Is the license profiency check done through the CAA or can it just be done by a local examiner like a profiency check for fixed wing?

If you don't manage to do 2 hours a year, do you have to do a license profiency check again for that type? Does a profiency check have to be done every say 5 years even if the the pilot has done 2 hours a year?

Whirlygig
20th Oct 2008, 19:36
Yes, it's 2 hours a year on type. If you don't do two hours, your LPC (which is annual) would probably take 2 hours so ... However, if you don't do your LPC within the year, the rating will expire and will have to be revalidated. This would normally involve training as required to pass an LPC.

LPCs are conducted by any typr rating examiner.

All JAA licence, rotary or fixed wing have to be renewed every five years. I've just renewed my PPL; £67 for some new laser printed sheets with a signature on! Not even a new placky wallet!:rolleyes:

I would recommend you download LASORS and save it to your PC rather than access it online.

Cheers

Whirls

misterbonkers
20th Oct 2008, 20:00
Whirlygig - if you need a new placky wallet the CAA will send one gratis straight away. Alternatively I find that grey ducktape matches my CPL(H) wallet perfectly and does a great job at holding it together!

Whirlygig
20th Oct 2008, 20:10
Mr. Bonkers, thanks for that info! My PPL wallet is so dirty, it could pass for the darker grey of CPL plus the gold writing has all worn off now.

That's another difference between rotary licences and fixed-wing; rotary licences are varying shades of grey whereas the aeroplane chappies actually get a colour!

Cheers

Whirls

harry123456789
21st Oct 2008, 17:03
cheers for the help guys

Helinut
21st Oct 2008, 23:01
Harry,

Not sure why you are asking your question but you may not have phrased it correctly, so that you only get part of the answer.

Licence Validity is one thing, but a commercial pilot may need other things in order, for example to be able to fly a commercial air transport flight (i.e. carry fare paying passengers).

It may all be summarised by saying currency for what.

harry123456789
22nd Oct 2008, 13:06
Hi Helinut

Yes that was what I meant, what do helicopter pilots have to do in order to be able to carry passengers in a commericial context.

misterbonkers
22nd Oct 2008, 14:03
Harry;

For fare paying passengers under an Air Operators Certificate;

- OPC - Operator Proficiency Check (Base Check) every 6 months on each type operated (max normally three rotary types permitted OR one rotary, one fixed wing)
- LPC - Licence Proficiency Check every 12 months (often conducted with OPC)
- Line Check every 12 months (usually on each type)
- Route/Role/Area competence training/checks as required
- Engineering Training, each type, every 12 months to allow for signing of Check A's and any appropriate role changes (dual controls, doors, seats, cameras etc)
- CRM Course (normally every 3 years)
- Fire Training (normally every 3 years)
- First Aid Training (normally every 3 years)
- Emergency & Safety Equipment Training/Checks 12/36months depending on equipment relevant to each type flown.
- Dangerous Goods Awareness Training
- Class 1 medical (12/6months depending on how age)
- Renew your Licence every 5 years

Whirlygig
22nd Oct 2008, 19:52
I think many of those are in common with fixed wing AOC operators.

Cheers

Whirls

harry123456789
22nd Oct 2008, 19:53
I am guessing this covers the UK as a JAA member state yes?

So an operator of civilian transport helicopters must own an air operator certificate, and give all its pilots the training you mentioned?

misterbonkers
22nd Oct 2008, 20:06
Anyone wishing to use helicopters for public transport should have and Air Operators Certificate and Operators Licence.

The CAA have recently produced this leaflet. Unfortunately when it loads as a PDF it doesnt make sense at first until you realise page 1 is actual the second half;

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1196/20071015IllegalPublicTransportPRCampaign.pdf

The details listed previous are what the pilots must undertake prior to being allowed to fly passengers on public transport (based on a Single Pilot Day VFR Operation).