Hammocks
Swimming pool ladders
Baby swings
Easy-Bake ovens
Air pumps
Note book computer batteries
Emergency lights
Electrical power strips

And that list just goes back to July 2007 and only covers those items that have actually caught the media's attention.

Corrupt and incompetent goverment departments and manufacturers who seem to spend most of their time figuring out how to cheat regulations, bribe officials and make the cheapest product possible regardless of danger to customers - all in the interest of chasing the almighty yen.

Made in China ? Pass.

Oh, Chinese GP on now.

How many Olympic medals to be recalled after secondary testing results are made known and will the Chinese medal losses be blamed on western propaganda and jealousy?

Farrell
19th Oct 2008, 20:52
Why peepoh ohwayz say Cha-nee peepoh bad huh?

Ha to may money. Rots ovit! Lie ferry haad heeyah.

You dai!
Aww wowndeye dai soon!
If nah by graayt "hehnd o fayar" Cha-nee ahhmee... den by merrameen baybeemirk!

CityofFlight
19th Oct 2008, 20:52
Well...you know the saying..."you get what you pay for".

Parapunter
19th Oct 2008, 21:44
Any goldrush produces same. Caveat emptor.

pigboat
20th Oct 2008, 01:40
Well...you know the saying..."you get what you pay for".

Yeah, and a half hour later you want more. ;)

con-pilot
20th Oct 2008, 01:57
Yeah, and a half hour later you want more. ;)

Oh God, I just bought a rather large flat screen TV made in China! Not only do I not want to spend more money for another large flat screen TV, I have no place to put it! :eek:

Well, then again I could put it the garage or out on the patio. ;)

That's it, I'll put it out on the patio.

Thanks pigboat. :ok:

Off to the store.

CityofFlight
20th Oct 2008, 02:36
Con... what an excuse to buy a larger flat screen. Are you as obvious with Mrs P or does she see through you and love the larger screen too?

So far, am very happy with my Phillips 46' flat screen and surround sound. My God, is this made in China too and I don't know it? Have I deluded myself? The quality on mine has been superb. During live, digital sports, it feels like one is there on the field.

As of yet, don't miss the loudness of the cinema for films...don't tell me Phillips is on some environmental list, please. :yuk: :{

pigboat
20th Oct 2008, 04:31
I just bought a new HP TouchSmart computer. Yep! Made in China. Now I want another one. :\

Howard Hughes
20th Oct 2008, 05:41
China like all countries have both good and bad products, stick with the major companies and you shouldn't have any problems!:ok:

Romeo India Xray
20th Oct 2008, 07:05
So far, am very happy with my Phillips 46' flat screen and surround sound. :eek:

Your bl**dy TV is the same size as the side of my house!!!! Please tell me you meant 46"?

Load Toad
20th Oct 2008, 07:47
Given the amount of product lines, volume and values exported it isn't a high %.

BUT - there is no adequate policing of what is exported as though there is usually a lot of specifications, legislation and standards to be passed industry on the whole governs itself and the process of out sourcing can create a lovely big paper trail so it's hard to work out where the failure happened. So whilst - yes there are Chinese managers, fty owners, HK / Taiwanese middle men, testing labs etc who will cut corners - there are equally large numbers of buyers who happily turn a blind eye.

Only when there is adequate policing will there be change.

BlueDiamond
20th Oct 2008, 08:01
Your bl**dy TV is the same size as the side of my house!!!! Please tell me you meant 46"?
No, she meant 46' ... but she has to walk to the next suburb to watch it comfortably!! http://209.85.12.227/12099/121/emo/PMSL.gif

Capt.KAOS
20th Oct 2008, 09:47
Let's see, recalled:

Lehmann Brothers
Stearn Bear
AIG
Fanny Mae
Freddy Mac
Indy Mac
JP Morgan Chase
Merrill Lynch
Subprime Mortgages
Credit Derivatives
Credit Default Swaps
Interest Rate Swaps
Futures-Tradable Assets
Foreign Credit Default Swap
Total Return Swap
Credit Linked Notes
Collateralized Bond Obligation
Portfolio Swaps
Credit Index Products
Default Baskets
Secondary CDO trading
Customised CDO tranches
Default swaptions
Credit hybrids

Still there.....?

Just to say, there are bad products in any country. Circling the wagons never helped, it just let the bad guys go on doing their destructive work. Just ask yourselves, how did it go that far?

bulolobob
20th Oct 2008, 13:12
Ladies, check what kind of hair-bands you're using or you're buying for your daughters!

BEIJING (AFP) - Used condoms are being recycled into hair bands in southern China threatening to spread sexually-transmittable diseases they were originally meant to prevent, state media reported Tuesday.

In the latest example of potentially harmful Chinese-made products, rubber hair bands have been found in local markets and beauty salons in Dongguan and Guangzhou cities in southern Guangdong province, China Daily newspaper said.

'These cheap and colorful rubber bands and hair ties sell well ..... threatening the health of local people,' it said. Despite being recycled, the hair bands could still contain bacteria and viruses, it said.

'People could be infected with AIDS, (genital) warts or other diseases if they hold the rubber bands or strings in their mouths while waving their hair into plaits or buns,'

the paper quoted a local dermatologist who gave only his surname, Dong, as saying. A bag of ten of the recycled bands sells for just 25 sen (three cents), much cheaper than others on the market, accounting for their popularity, the paper said.

A government official was quoted as saying recycling condoms was illegal. China 's manufacturing industry has been repeatedly tarnished this year by a string of scandals involving shoddy or dangerous goods made for both domestic and foreign markets.

In response, it launched a public relations blitz this summer aimed at playing up efforts to strengthen monitoring systems.

Check your kids hair bands and make sure they do not put them in their mouth while trying to plait or do their hair.

snopes.com: Condom Hair Bands (http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/hairband.asp)
:yuk:

frostbite
20th Oct 2008, 13:13
<pedant>

"my Phillips 46' flat screen and surround sound. My God, is this made in China too and I don't know it?"

If it's spelled that way on the badge, it probably is

</pedant>

simon brown
20th Oct 2008, 13:19
I bought a Chinese bomerang that doesnt come back..does that count

surely not
20th Oct 2008, 13:22
Well they make some excellent groud service equipment at a very competitive price....................so far, no issues with the quality at all.

The Nissan baggage tractors are every bit as good as the ones made in Japan and a lot better than the TUG equipment we have.

The West had beter wake up to the fact that on the major manufacturing products the Chinese are now major players offering good qulaity and with prices about 1/3rd less than on Western manufactured equipment.

BladePilot
20th Oct 2008, 13:58
Really! Surely Not;)

surely not
20th Oct 2008, 14:11
Thinking about it, there are many things the Chinese supply in this area that are value for money, with an occassional 2 for 1 deal not unknown ;)

larssnowpharter
20th Oct 2008, 15:04
APC Press Agency:

Chinese Fortune Cookies Recalled: Reliable sources report that at least 12% of all Chinese fortune cookies have spelling or grammatical mistakes and are to be recalled by the S&GW (Spelling and Grammar Watchdog)

OMG! :eek:

Load Toad
20th Oct 2008, 16:28
The West had beter wake up to the fact that on the major manufacturing products the Chinese are now major players offering good qulaity and with prices about 1/3rd less than on Western manufactured equipment.

Have you wondered why? It isn't cos of phuqing magic and efficiency.

It's because of low wages, poor environmental issues and awful H&S. And buyers that are happy to allow it. So they can make nice mark ups in the country of sale while abdicating all responsibility otherwise.

larssnowpharter
20th Oct 2008, 17:44
It's because of low wages, poor environmental issues and awful H&S. And buyers that are happy to allow it. So they can make nice mark ups in the country of sale while abdicating all responsibility otherwise.

One is old enough to recall exactly the same sort of remarks being made of Japanese goods.....and agreeing.

One now drives a Toyota and wears a Seiko. Don't drink Suntory tho!

G-CPTN
20th Oct 2008, 19:19
Financial analysts are reporting that Chinese growth has slowed to 9% (and 50% of factories producing toys have ceased trading).
It's going to be a struggle for the Western World to fill their stockings this Christmas . . .
BBC NEWS | Business | Chinese economy growth rate slows (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7679180.stm)
China's economic growth slows amid world turmoil - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/10/20/2396410.htm?section=world)
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/chinas-third-quarter-gdp-growth/story.aspx?guid={0EEDB16D-7DFF-43C5-A252-A6F278A6824F}&dist=msr_2

dead_pan
20th Oct 2008, 20:48
It's because of low wages, poor environmental issues and awful H&S

plus the fact many importers here in Europe pay lip service to quality control. Only those suppliers of goods destined for the most reputable high street stores are subject to any level of scrutiny by buyers. The vast majority of goods are simply slapped with a CE logo (the joke being that CE stands for China Export) without being tested and then shipped to Europe for on-sale.

That said, China is increasingly sensitive to it being perceived as a supplier of low-quality tat - moves are afoot to shake up their manufacturing base to put it more on a par with the likes of South Korea and Japan. Their Government do not balk at having to make sweeping changes to protect and enhance their global brand - witness what happened in Beijing in August of this year.

BladePilot
20th Oct 2008, 21:30
Mmm.. lets hope Airbus won't have to be recalling any Chinese manufactured parts.

Load Toad
21st Oct 2008, 05:37
Couple of points...

China has a far bigger job to modify it's industrial base to be anything like S.Korea or Japan. The Chinese education system and Chinese management ability (alone) has a far far longer way to go & it still needs to be able to give millions of jobs to people who quite simply can only act as un / semi skilled labour. China can't afford to have millions of unemployed.

With regard to Airbus sourcing in China - many of the suppliers will be western JV's or have western managers.
The wider point to make is for any product there needs to be a greater policing of 'quality'. This is a massive issue and there is very little agreement of what should be done - as anything will involve cost - it would mean more jobs though and improving standards - but will buyers be prepared to pay? I doubt it. Why outsource if the cost of the products are not significantly less than getting things made at home? It'll come down to measuring business not just by profit and I have little faith in that ever happening.

kluge
21st Oct 2008, 05:57
"Chinese management ability" - must be the basis for joke of the week.

Having spent 12 years out here (China and HK) the one thing that describes Chinese management ability, is the successful way they manage to extract investment dollars from the west and fail to deliver returns.

Still at least they execute people for corrupt practices, a far better system them in the west.
Let's hope that these pathetic excuses for humans who have tainted milk powder receive the 9RMB back of the head bullet (that the family gets billed for).

LoadToad second para is spot on. Boeings biggest challenge is preventing counterfit parts being used by the local airlines who buy on price alone. Of course Boeing has to foot the bill to prevent the rip offs being used and protect their brand - another Chinese 'management' tactic.

dead_pan
21st Oct 2008, 09:43
Loadtoad - I didn't say it would be easy. Sure, they have their work cut out for them. China cannot continue down the same path if they are continue and maintain their economic growth - some tough choices will have to be made if they are to achieve their aim of becoming the region's/the world's pre-eminent industrial power.

They are also going to have play the game regarding truly adhering to international quality standards, as you intimated. The are also going to have to begin respecting intellectual property laws as well - always a moot point for Western companies looking to business out there.

Howard Hughes
21st Oct 2008, 09:48
One hopes China will shortly recall Oz Top Gear, it's just a cheap copy afterall...;)

Farrell
21st Oct 2008, 12:11
I'm with surely not on the Chinese ground equipment and vehicles.

Here in the sandpit, there are a lot of heavy industry vehicles made by "Great Wall Motors" - they look like Mitsubishi knock-offs but they are good quality, don't seem to break down and are dirt cheap.

Have taken one off-road a few months ago and it was awesome!

hippotamus
21st Oct 2008, 14:07
TheStar.com | World | Tainted love: Melamine found in U.K. sex kit (http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/520926)

A A Gruntpuddock
21st Oct 2008, 22:55
Most of the non-HK Chinese stuff I have bought was rubbish.
Last time I saw a video like this it was a Phantom hitting a concrete wall.
YouTube - Chinese Truck Crash Testing (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D827IxEJVS4)

BladePilot
21st Oct 2008, 23:18
The UAE is going to be a lot less fun if they recall all the girls:(

Load Toad
21st Oct 2008, 23:37
Most of the non-HK Chinese stuff I have bought was rubbish.

There isn't much production in HK - it moved over to Guangdong province 20 years ago.

pigboat
22nd Oct 2008, 00:00
"my Phillips 46' flat screen and surround sound.

CoF that ain't a TV screen, that's the Great Wall of Phillips.