PDA

View Full Version : My first flights

FlyingOfficerKite
18th Oct 2008, 21:18
My first flights as a young boy were from Blackpool and Yeadon.

Does anyone know the (likely) registrations of the following aircraft:

DH Dragon Rapide out of Blackpool in the late fifties?

DH Heron operating pleasure flights at the Yeadon air displays, again in the late fifties?

Just out of interest - I can trace the details of the other aircraft I flew in during the late fifties and early sixties, mainly from Blackpool and Skegness.

Also, in the winter of 1962-63 we were driving home and noticed wheel tracks in the snow disappearing through a fence. My father stopped the car and found a man still in his car. We took him to the local police station and discovered during the trip that he was a pilot flying DC3s out of Blackpool. He invited us around the airfield if we were ever back in the area. Amazingly some months later we were at the airfield when he appeared having just come off duty. He gave us a ride to the hanger in the DH Dragon and (as a seven year old) I sat in the cockpit of the Dakota. All exciting at the time. I wonder who he is/was - obviously he would be in his sixties now and no doubt retired.

FOK :)

Exnomad
20th Oct 2008, 13:25
In respect to the story of car track through a fence in he snow, there was a pilot on one station where I served who had a serious car accident.
He ran into a bank of fog, and automatically tried to go on to instruments before trying to stop,