PDA

View Full Version : SIDs and the Cessna 310Q

camlobe
18th Oct 2008, 20:29
Hi all.

Just wondering what views you and your regional offices have regarding SID compliance for a privately operated, G reg, Cessna 310Q.

Does it require full compliance with all applicable SIDs?

or

Does it not require full compliance? If it doesn't, which ones can be left?

My take is, if applicable they need doing, but it isn't my aircraft.

Only asking as there appears to be a bit of confusion around and the owner couldn't get a straight answer from the authority.

Thanks.

camlobe

Rigga
19th Oct 2008, 16:58
Not familiar with "SID"s - are they Service Information Digests?

If so - they are often optional information - borne from in-service information received by the manufacturer. Compliance could depend on the age of the aircraft or the operational use of the aircraft.

If it was a new aircraft the manufacturer could stipulate that warranty could be affected by non-compliance with their Service Bulletins, Letters and Digests.

Also, if the aircraft is operated in a way mentioned in the Digest (e.g. Flight over water, etc.) this too could affect the way the manufacturer supports the operator/type.

Hope this helps
Rigga

Yoth
19th Oct 2008, 19:02
I'm involved in a SID programme on a fleet of public transport Cessna twins. I'll dig out the gen for a private Cessna and post back either tomorrow, or over the next few days.
Do you need someone to do the work?

NutLoose
19th Oct 2008, 20:38
RiggaNot familiar with "SID"s - are they Service Information Digests?

Little background for you Rigga, SID's where brought about by Cessna who never envisaged the likes of a Cessna twin still flogging around the skies after 40 years, they expected them to have an initial life of about 15 to 20 years if memory serves me right.........

What Cessna did was to buy back some high houred Aircraft, strip and inspect them and come up with a maintainance requirement based on what they found to keep them Airworthy and these were more or less Mandatory to comply with. the links below will help you inderstand them Rigga and what is involved ( A lot ) Australian links.

http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/info/CessnaSIDs.pdf

http://twin.cessna.org/reference/cessna_402sid_paper.pdf

Rigga
20th Oct 2008, 20:53
Nutloose - Thanks for the info and correction - Camlobe seemed a little lost for a few days!

camlobe
22nd Oct 2008, 11:06
Hi guys.

Just back this morning from a little trip to France in a 421C that I supervised the full SID compliance in 2006. But this aircraft operates commercially.

Nutloose's comments on the background of the SID's is absolutely correct. Some of you may remember about a couple of C402's that had problems a few years back. One of them, with 20,000+ hours on the clock was operating night freight work. The pilot figured that something was amiss somewhere as he had to keep dialing more and more aileron trim until he ran out of trim and had to continue the flight with ever-increasing application of aileron to maintain straight-and-level. After landing, he asked a couple of mechanics to 'have a quick look'. They advised the pilot of the heavily cracked main spar. One very lucky pilot.

The CAA (through EASA) mandated full compliance for the 400 series (the original 400 series, not the re-badged Columbia's).

What I need to know is if anyone has been advised that compliance is mandatory for privately operated C310Q's. In the FAA world, if the aircraft is 'N' reg and operated on Part 91 only (i.e. private) compliance is not mandatory. But this is EASA world.

Yoth, look forward to hearing from you. Depending on the outcome, the owner may need to find somewhere to carry out the necessary work.

Rigga, in this instance, SID's refer to Supplementary Inspection Documents, and originated from, or were reinforced by, Service Bulletins issued by Cessna. The SID's replaced CAP's, or Continued Airworthiness Programmes. The content of both were almost identical.

Unfortunately for operators of Cessna twins, the SID limitations were in hours and/or calendar. Consiquently, operators of low-houred, high-calendar aircraft got hammered as well.

camlobe

Yoth
29th Oct 2008, 17:35
Hi Camlobe,
Sorry for the delay in response.
The Cessnas that I'm involved in are having the full SID programme which is mandated by the maintenance programme for the aircraft.
You need to have a look at your programme to establish what needs doing and when.
PM me for details of who can perform the task and are you looking for continuing airworthiness (Part M supart G and I)?

wigglyamp
2nd Nov 2008, 22:31
CAA mandated compliance with SID's for all 300 & 400 aircraft from 28th September this year. You can apply for an extension upto September 2009 for non-AOC aircraft from the CAA (to try and be in line with other EASA States), and they may grant it subject to a visual, non-dismantling inspection, on low-hour aircraft, where the maintenance company has a good knowledge of the aircraft. I'm aware of two 310R's that have been given extensions - one for about 3 months, and one for 6 months. Different regional offices seem to view granting the extension differently. You may need to get your regional office surveyor to talk to CAA head of structures (Rory Martin) at Gatwick and he can advise on the requirements to get the extension.
For AOC aircraft - tough - no extensions.

Regards