PDA

View Full Version : Comair, SAExpress, 1Time, Mango.

piapito
18th Oct 2008, 12:26
To all the friends up there!

I am currently looking to finally "mothball" my african sweat drenched, brandy and beer staind and a couple of "briek merke" contract clothes. I'm interested in applying for a position at either BA Comair, SAX, 1time, Mango. This is an obviously big life changing and long-term decision and have decided to use this forum as part of my homework basket. So i friendly invite/request any pilot's (possible future friends) currently flying for these companies to please feel free to comment on your companies, good or bad.

1) Is there a general view out there as to which is the best company to go and fly for?

2) I have some 4000hrs with ATP and is looking at an accelerated command position (if such thing exists!!)

3) What kind of salary could be expected with my hour's, specifically SAX.

4) How much does the Mango and Sax guys out of FACT really fly?

5) How is the negotiations regarding salaries at 1time going?

6) What company provides the best benefits?

7) Is there any info on salary structures available?

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

buzz light
19th Oct 2008, 13:03
You can PM me with your detail then I'll drop you a line

Buzz

TwinJock
20th Oct 2008, 04:27
Piapito

The short answer :

1. Comair.

Distant second SAX. This is due to "piffy" aircraft, but salary is good.

4. Mango, if you have to.

5. 1Time in an emergency!!

:ok::ok::ok:

scanafrica
20th Oct 2008, 07:18
Twinjock,

I assume your reply is based on a survey of at least 75% of all pilots working at each airline with a built-in scientific sampling error of +/- 2%.

Are you also monitoring the US presidential election opinion polls?

TwinJock
20th Oct 2008, 08:25
Scanafrica

Nothing scientific about my answer.

Have worked for a couple of the mentioned companies, and still have friends working at all of them. The answer is based on my experience, and on those of the guys and dolls employed by said companies.

The long answer!

Comair - solid company with good management, good package, excellent training. This is the only one of the four that I would consider as a career employer. Although old, the B733 and B734 makes you more marketable.

SAX - always concerned about top management and connections to SAA, good package, excellent training. The aircraft are nice to fly, but not desirable on a CV. Should be a stepping stone to something else. If they were financially viable without cross subsidies, SAA involvement and tax payers money, they would be a good first choice. Cape Town base is a plus!

Mango - does not sound like a happy bunch, iffy management, but GOOD aircraft. Transient employment at best.

1Time - started by a disgruntled Comair employee, a stepping stone to something else. I rated them as equal to Nationwide - good but financially shaky. In my opinion they will be the next to go if the economy turns and fuel prices started to rise, as they will. DC9 and MD 82 time - not desirable.

Helmet is on - let rip!!!:}:}:}

Doodlebug2
20th Oct 2008, 11:55
PiaPito, why are you aiming so low?;)

fly4x4
20th Oct 2008, 15:29
Now how do you explain all the pilots that have left SAX after being accepted into major airlines worldwide with experience on "iffy" aircraft.
Twin you were probably one of them !!

buzz light
20th Oct 2008, 16:10
Hoe gaan dit TwinJock ? Goed saam gevat.

Buzz

Flyer14
20th Oct 2008, 19:42
I would put Airlink on that list as well. Scheduled flying out of Joburg on fairly modern aircraft, with decent sop's. 90% of the guys you fly with are awesome and don't have the sky god attitude. Alot of the guys get into Comair, SAA, Singapore Airlines and Tiger and you'll probably get command quickly on the J41.

Downside, it is a steeping stone airline as well, management sucks and the pay while not as bad as they make it out to be is lower than most other airlines in SA.

piapito
21st Oct 2008, 09:45
Howzit!

Thanks for the constructive critiscm!. If i may ask, do you have any suggestions as to where else? i should apply to?. I am open-minded and is really loading my decision scale to see which side it tips.
:ok:

Datwo
21st Oct 2008, 15:32
Piapito, first make sure this is what you really want.
Believe me you will not have half the fun as you do on contracts. Yes it is nice to be flying a jet and the money is OK, but flying with skygods on the same route everyday is not much fun. For the single pilot, not married maybe think of another contract company that flies jets or a corprate flying job as another option. Don't just join an airline because its an airline. You might get board and regret it later on.

TwinJock
22nd Oct 2008, 04:39
Scanafrica

What am I saying? I don't know you at all. Still an idiot with baseless remarks like those

As I said, my helmet is on!!! I think my summary of employment opportunities for an experienced driver who wants to make a change from contracts to airline flying is very close to being spot on! On the other hand if you are a low time driver looking at employment at on of these companies, I might change the order a little and definitely include Link.

fly4X4

Now how do you explain all the pilots that have left SAX after being accepted into major airlines worldwide with experience on "iffy" aircraft.
Twin you were probably one of them !!

To answer your question 4X4, I was employed by SAX many years ago, but moved to one of the "others" to gain some good jet time. Some of the best times of my flying career was spent at SAX, but do I regret leaving - NO! Did I use them as a stepping stone - was not the idea when I joined them but a better opportunity arrived.

When aircrew are scarce and majors are hiring, they have to widen their net to get sufficient crew. The moment things turn to an over supply scenario, like now, the first cut when interviewing is made at turboprops and CRJ's, ERJ's etc. Not that their is anything wrong with these drivers, but if you can choose between B737 and bigger, and the regionals, it is a no brainer. If you are looking at moving on to an international airline, I would steer clear from the lighter tools of the trade. I know a lot of drivers who are stuck with their present employers because of the lack of heavier time in their logbooks. Size, and weight has it advantages!

Good luck piapito.

fly4x4
22nd Oct 2008, 09:40
Howzit Twinjock :ok:

I suppose everyone needs different things to make them tick, there are lots of pilots here that are content with the airline lifestyle , besides SAA.
SAX is finally getting some heavier jets that will assist should you choose to move on.

Cheers

skycatz
23rd Oct 2008, 02:56
Flyer14

"I would put Airlink on that list as well. Scheduled flying out of Joburg on fairly modern aircraft, with decent sop's. 90% of the guys you fly with are awesome and don't have the sky god attitude. Alot of the guys get into Comair, SAA, Singapore Airlines and Tiger and you'll probably get command quickly on the J41."

How many guys from Airlink have got into Singapore Airlines ?

ARENDIII
25th Oct 2008, 01:08
Hey-Scanafrica-Chill out Dude!

JeanJacquesBurnel
8th Nov 2008, 16:46
The short answer :

1. Comair.

Distant second SAX. This is due to "piffy" aircraft, but salary is good.

4. Mango, if you have to.

5. 1Time in an emergency!!
What happened to number 3??? Please don't apply for work at 1time, you can't count :}:}

JeanJacquesBurnel
8th Nov 2008, 17:13
1Time - started by a disgruntled Comair employee, a stepping stone to something else. I rated them as equal to Nationwide - good but financially shaky. In my opinion they will be the next to go if the economy turns and fuel prices started to rise, as they will. DC9 and MD 82 time - not desirable.

MD80 time is medium jet time. Its good enough for EasyJet, Ryanair, Air Berlin, Cathay, Emirates... 1000 hours command on a medium jet is almost always better than the equivalent on a CRJ or Dash-Late. Ask the recruiters....

1Time turned a profit this year. Its a listed company, and its results are available for everyone to scrutinize (unlike the "national debt"). A closer look at the financials and you will see that 1time has sustained the highest growth rate in SA (Close to 30%), has managed to grow their fleet from the 2 planes they started with to the 9 x MD80s they currently have in the fleet (an additional 1 x MD87 has just arrived, and 2 x MD80s are arriving soon ex-Alitalia, which will take the total to 12. The 3 DC9s are going soon), have a much better gearing ratio than SAA, have purchased Safair maintenance (so they have $ based business to guard against currency fluctuations), and have won a large portion of the corporate contracts out there..

For the record, if you join now, you will not be flying DC9s. That is reserved for a lucky few (like myself :) ). Its a wonderful airie to fly, and I value the experience I have gained flying it.

Oil is down at $60 to $70 at the moment. The MD80 has much lower ownership costs than a NG plane, and the breakeven point is around $150 per barrel for oil before the NG starts saving money. When or if oil gets to that level, 1time will lease NG planes just like the rest of them. Why committ to high lease payments or capital loans that are very vulnerable to interest rate fluctuations when you dont have to?

Finally, one of the only airlines that has managed to survive the downturn in the USA and still maintain a healthy profit is Allegiant. Go check them out. They fly used MD80s... They cant get enough of them. Again, ownership costs (particularly the cost of credit), are just as important to look at as fuel costs. A fully owned MD80 on the ramp sitting idle (if it needs to) is not costing you money....

MainDude
13th Nov 2008, 16:35
Interesting thread :-) Thought I'd add some spice to it...

I'm currently flying B737-300/400's as an F/O with approx. 500 hrs total, 250 hrs on type. I was wondering what my chances are of getting in to Comair or SAA in a year's time with hopefully 1000 TT & 750 on type.

I have JAR fATPL (CPL/ME/IR with ATPL Theory Credit). I think with 500+ hrs, the SA CAA allows a person to transfer CPL/ME/IR/Type without re-doing theory exams, but probably need to do Type/IR skill test. I also have SA citizenship.

Does anyone know if I'd stand a chance of getting in to SAA or Comair on their 737 fleet (in a year's time)? Is it still a major disadvantage being non-previously disadvantaged male?

beckers
14th Nov 2008, 07:40
If you don't try, you won't get!!

piapito
14th Nov 2008, 12:03
To my fellow fly buds!

Wow, i have been quiet lately and have been flying my butt off, but have been checking the thread from time to time ,and have been soaking up all the info. I appreciate everydodies input and replies,pm's and thought that it actually became a very interesting thread which has surfaced a lot of valueble information, not just for myself but for others as well. Please guys, let's keep this going as I think this is one of the better informative threads (setting aside an couple of personal attacks).

I don't want to become a expat and fly around a big sand dune all day and then need to get a personal liscense to drink a beer and braai 'n vleisie. Amid te recent speculation about SAA and it's sub's, i think they will be around for some time to come. Overall I think the current companies are here to stay for a while. I am narrowing my search and your help so far has been invalueable. Please feel free to update with any help.

What has happened at 1Time with the salary issue?

When are those big CRJ's arriving?

Thank guys!