PDA

View Full Version : Landing at MAN, then Go Around??

donnlass
17th Oct 2008, 11:13
A year or so ago my we were at Man AVP when my partner saw an Emirates aircaraft come in and past the engine testing bay then spool up and take off again nearly vertically. It came round again adn landed safely but what would cause them to go around after landing safely?

Cheers

Donnlass:confused::confused::rolleyes:

AircraftOperations
17th Oct 2008, 15:09
Not happy about the amount of tarmac remaining?

Maybe they floated and landed long due to wind etc and the PF played safe by having another go.

With a large aircraft, it takes a while for the aircraft to start gaining altitude once a G/A is commenced due to engine thrust delay and inertia so it's possible that the G/A was started before the wheels hit the ground.

NudgingSteel
20th Oct 2008, 22:34
Like AO said, big aircraft take a while from starting a go-around (usually pressing the TOGA button which spools up the engines to the appropriate power to climb away) until they climb. On approach they are usually descending at about 750 feet per minute, so 150 tons of metal takes a few seconds to stop descending and start going up! It's not unknown for a go-around from a very late stage to result in a touch on the runway, if that actually happened in this case. Could have been for a number of reasons, possibly windshear alert in the very last stage of approach.
I'd have to question the almost vertical climb though! You can't over-rotate a long aircraft like the 777 without bumping the tail on the runway (tailstrike) and I think the normal climb-out angle is 15 degrees for most big aircraft. In a strong wind it looks like they're climbing really steeply yet it's not always so spectacular from the flight deck!

RingwaySam
21st Oct 2008, 01:32
I've only ever seen that happen once and it was quite scary to watch, although at the time the winds were strong with windshear on the approach.

YouTube - British Airways Go-Around Sofia Airport (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rQfESkzHPtM)

Interesting video for you...Not sure what you happened but just to show you from a pax perspective.

NudgingSteel
21st Oct 2008, 23:06
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you Rainboe! I've read at least one ASR from crews who have commenced a G/A from short final, in a heavy a/c and have touched briefly before climbing away. The one that sticks in my mind was, I believe, a 747 in Africa in very poor wx when the PF lost visual contact with the lights. (Not the recently reported A340 at Lagos which drifted off the runway edge before departing again).
I have also witnessed an A321 bounce a couple of times before the crew powered up and departed back into the radar circuit. Perhaps this is a slightly different situation as they had intended to land at the first touchdown; although a bit untidy (and possibly embarassing), it was unquestionably the right decision to make.
You are absolutely right about the spoilers deploying on touchdown, however, when TOGA is selected (or the power levers advanced manually), does this override the spoiler arming? And do the u/c microswitches require the full a/c weight to be on the gear before the spoilers deploy?
And on a related topic....under what circumstances could a 767 land, and the spoilers deploy at touchdown, as per normal, and then stow again within about 3 seconds with the a/c still doing about 100kts?

Bullethead
22nd Oct 2008, 02:05
"And on a related topic....under what circumstances could a 767 land, and the spoilers deploy at touchdown, as per normal, and then stow again within about 3 seconds with the a/c still doing about 100kts? "

You'd have to stow them manually or push the thrust levers up past a certain point.

Why you'd want them down at that stage I don't know.

Re late go arounds, selection of reverse thrust is the cutoff for initiating a go around in the company I work for so you can certainly go around from on the runway.

Regards,
BH.

One9iner
22nd Oct 2008, 12:28
worth a look!

YouTube - British Airways Go-Around Sofia Airport (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rQfESkzHPtM)

NudgingSteel
23rd Oct 2008, 19:20
Rainboe,
No squabble taken! I'd tend to agree that the original sighting from a viewing park was probably indeed a g/a from short final and although we weren't there, our postings probably illustrate to industry outsiders just how very rare and unlikely such an occurrence would be.

Bullethead,
Many thanks for that input - saw this happen a little while back. Nothing else unusual happened (the reversers were still deployed so it wouldn't have been throttle advance) and the a/c vacated in the usual place with plenty of runway remaining. Didn't like to ask the crew at the time 'cos the next thing you know, it's up on Pprune with the company and airport identified and all sorts of allegations being made!

donnlass
28th Oct 2008, 14:29
Hi Rainboe

Just to say that I didnt actually see the GA - I thought while its quiet I would powder my nose and missed everything! Typical:bored:

So I had only my partner's description to go on so that was what I posted from.

Thanks for all your replies so far, they have been very helpful.

Many thanks

Donnlass:confused: