PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Flying Choppers Now?

Transition Layer
17th Oct 2008, 10:57
Qantas flight stuck in Johannesburg

Sydney Morning Herald
Arjun Ramachandran
October 17, 2008 - 11:52AM

A Sydney-bound Qantas flight has reportedly spent stranded in Johannesburg, South Africa, because of an engine fault.

While QF64 was stranded on the tarmac, staff opened the flight's emergency doors to let air in because the airconditioner was not working, said the sister of one of the passengers, Barry Matthews.

"He told me the aircraft was stuck on the tarmac for two hours with no air-conditioning," said Mr Matthews sister, Heather Hall, who lives on the south coast.

"So staff opened the emergency doors which apparently they are not supposed to."

Passengers were told there was a problem with the plane's rotor, she said.

"[Barry is] livid. He's a telecommunications engineer and lives most of the year over there.

"He purposely flies Qantas as its safety record has been better."

Passengers had been returned to the terminal and were waiting further instruction from Qantas on how they were to get home, she said.

"They haven't told them what they are going to do ... he's hopping mad."

A Qantas spokesman said the plane had been delayed because of "a technical problem with a rudder actuator''.

It was now scheduled to leave at 10pm tonight (1pm Friday Johannesburg time), which was a delay of 19 hours, he said.

The affected part of the plane was high off the ground and could not be serviced using equipment at the gate so the plane had to be taken back to the hangar, where engineers on scaffolding were working on the problem, the spokesman said.

Qantas regretted the inconvenience caused to passengers, and although he could not comment on reports staff had opened emergency doors while on the tarmac, he would investigate further.

Great reporting once again from the media...

Rule Number One of reporting on airline incidents - find the dumbest looking passenger and ask for their synopsis.

Cap'n Arrr
17th Oct 2008, 12:00
...and Barry wouldn't have been livid about the flight going ahead at the planned time with a dodgy actuator?

Brian Abraham
18th Oct 2008, 01:06
I hope all QF's aircraft have rotors. I'll leave you to figure out where they may be located. :p

AerocatS2A
18th Oct 2008, 01:31
Not far from the stators I imagine.

Starts with P
18th Oct 2008, 03:27
Well Barry flies with Qantas because of their safety record... He always has the option of flying on another carrier Joho -> Sydney....:ugh:

Arnold E
18th Oct 2008, 13:32
Maybe it should be noted that it was a member of the CREW that gave the information that was in error.:=

Cap'n Arrr
19th Oct 2008, 00:41
Actually if I had to guess I would say the crew said "we have a problem with the rudder" but the passenger misheard rudder as "rotor." Just goes to show how knowledgeable *cough* the source is:rolleyes:

Takan Inchovit
19th Oct 2008, 11:13
No no! It was definately a helicopter

The affected part of the plane was high off the ground and could not be serviced using equipment at the gate so the plane had to be taken back to the hangar, where engineers on scaffolding were working on the problem, the spokesman said.

Cap'n Arrr
19th Oct 2008, 11:43
Basil

Not sure about BA, but QF has been in the journos line of fire down here since the Manila oxy bottle incident. Everything that goes wrong gets reported. We've had flights delayed a couple hours for a U/S part to be repaired/replaced being reported as dramatic emergencies. Lots of fun *cough*