PDA

View Full Version : Restriction on travel?

tony draper
17th Oct 2008, 08:11
Watching The Last Days of Steam on BBC4 last night,a comment was made re the railways immediate post war, "when the Government announced the end of the restriction on travel and the public were once again allowed to go wither they wished.
Had me puzzled that did anybody know exactly what the wartime restriction on travel mean to the public,ie was one not allowed to leave one's town, Village, County without permission?
:confused:

Lon More
17th Oct 2008, 08:26
IIRC places like the beaches and other area were strictly off limits. Some (Imber?) remain so to this day.

Pontius Navigator
17th Oct 2008, 08:40
I believe there were fairly strict impositions on travel in 1944 with the build up of the invasion forces. People were not allowed from outside the area to travel to the area. My mother in law says:

Beaches were generally out of bounds. There were also restrictions from day to day when army units were on the move with road blocks as required. Movement near docks was restricted and tanks traps etc were in place.

At sea, according to my father, ships still had to use swept channels until the late 40s and I remember ships still had their wooden wartime life rafts, albeit now painted in company colours, at least until 1948 - I used to play in them.

tony draper
17th Oct 2008, 09:06
Oh restricted areas were understandable,a lot of stuff went on we never think about,ie I learned recently that you could be sent to jail for not eating everything on your plate?,dunno how his was policed or if anyone was ever stuck behind bars for being on a diet,I once posted a link here to a fascinating wartime daily events diary,one comment was that a father and son were up in front of the Magistrates for being late for work two days in a row and were fined five shillings.
:uhoh:

Loose rivets
17th Oct 2008, 09:20
I think it was twenty miles Tony.

When we moved to Colchester, we could go back to Braintree or East to Walton without a permit. There was a few square yards of beach clear by 44, but most was miles of scaffold with barbed wire. Needless to say, we used to climb along it.

Avitor
17th Oct 2008, 09:44
Many trains were deemed 'Troop Trains' Especially prior to D-Day. A civilian would not be allowed on them.
I saw the programme last night, I thought it was very good. I stuck with the channel from 7.30 to 10pm.
Also during the war, one could be, and were, sent to prison 'For being heard voicing defeatist words'
As for the policing, we had the most pedantic and vicious wartime, non fully trained, emergency coppers prowling the streets, some would have charged their mothers given the chance. And above all, Martial Law prevailed throughout the war.

tony draper
17th Oct 2008, 10:35
Agree Mr Aviator,some good stuff on BBC4,in fact they could scrap the other three BBC channels and just keep BBC4 for me,they could then reduce the price of the Telly licence by three quarters.
Why is spellchecker underlining Licence in red?is there some Murican way of spelling same?
:confused:

shedhead
17th Oct 2008, 11:16
I'm afraid there is mr Draper they spell it with an "s" instead of the last "c"

Smigg
17th Oct 2008, 12:01
Can't believe I missed this one. Hopefully it might be on the iPlayer... And in terms of licence/license. We were always taught at school (not that long ago) that one spelling related to the paper document that you receive (licence), while the other relates to that act of allowing something to happen (license). Not sure if the second had been introduced solely by the Americans or not...

merlinxx
17th Oct 2008, 12:08
'tis a Sceptic one, not an Anglo one:ugh:

tony draper
17th Oct 2008, 12:11
One gathered that, very keen on yer Z in words instead of the proper S is the Cousins.
:rolleyes:

frostbite
17th Oct 2008, 12:24
My freeview often lists stations that are quite unwatchable due to poor signal, but it's not even listed BBC4 once!

Spoilt lot oop North.

Blacksheep
17th Oct 2008, 12:34
As to the letter S instead of Z, oddly enough, we've adopted the Murican 'tion', as in connection for example, rather than the proper English 'xion' as in connexion. Chaucer would have spelled it properly with 'shun' of course.

...if anyone was ever stuck behind bars for being on a diet,As I recall, everyone was on a blooming diet until about 1956.

'Tis reported that the Minister for Rationing brought into the cabinet room, a tray with the latest ration laid out upon it for the information and enlightenment of the ministers - who were naturally on VIP rations themselves. Sir Winston looked at it in astonishment and exclaimed "How do we expect anyone to get through a whole day on that?" The rationing minister replied "Prime Minister, that is a week's ration"

Gainesy
17th Oct 2008, 12:41
Bet there weren't many fat folk then either.

tony draper
17th Oct 2008, 14:14
Watched that prog,forget what its called, where a couple tried living on the diets of various historical periods for a week ,ie Tudor ,Restoration, Victorian, and Wartime,they were then subjected to a rigorous medical checkup,and they finished up the healthier on the wartime diet than they were at the beginning of the series..
Interestingly it said after the war, during which kids had known nothing but dried egg fresh eggs made most kids sick they didn't like em at all.
Personally one was a tad young to remember,one does remember the rationing though and the day sweets came off the ration,recollect scuttling down to the corner shop wi a spanner job thrupenny bit in me gruby wee paw.
:rolleyes:

BombayDuck
17th Oct 2008, 15:16
tony, install British English dictionary (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3366) for Firefox. And next time in a text box right click and change 'Languages' to the correct one.

ChrisVJ
17th Oct 2008, 18:00
Interesting thing about ration books, (came across mine tucked away in an old envelope the other day.) To change a child's name all you had to do was change the name on the front of the ration book, it was not even stamped, just overwritten in ink.

When I changed it back a few years ago, well you would not believe the palaver, (though it is still easier in the UK than here!)

ThreadBaron
17th Oct 2008, 18:07
To change a child's name all you had to do was change the name on the front of the ration book

When I changed it back a few years ago

I had no idea that Canuckistan was on rationing until so recently!:eek:

brickhistory
17th Oct 2008, 18:11
Awfully nice of Microsoft to include the second string in the languages options.

As in so many areas, we took a good idea, English (doesn't word alone piss off the Scots/Welch, etc, etc that speak the language?) and made it better and more suitable to mass production. (and that's pronounced pro-duck-shun).

So, as this is an aviation-oriented website, and American English is the language of that world, start minding your 's' and 'z's please. :E

tony draper
17th Oct 2008, 18:20
That's how three quarters of the Immigrants processed at Ellis Island finished up with daffy surnames Mr Brick,the Officials there could not spell and just used loads of they Murican Zs.
:)

brickhistory
17th Oct 2008, 18:41
But we were able to recycle all those superflous 'u's.

Traded 'em back to France for the green-colored copper lady there at Ellis.

Pontius Navigator
17th Oct 2008, 19:03
Bet there weren't many fat folk then either.

Oh there were Gainesy, there were. I resolved never to marry a woman from Birkenhead. I also remember looking at London dockers. I always thought that they had pockets in their stomachs. I couldnt see any reason for them being as large as they were.

Storminnorm
18th Oct 2008, 19:30
I was a little fat lump at the end of the war, at least I was on
photos from the time. I think my Mum gave me her food as
well! She was really skinny!
I don't know about travel restrictions during the war, but I do
have a very clear memory of visiting my Dad at a place called
Mickleham Priory just before D-day. North of Dorking I think.
The troops were there in tents awaiting the turn to get on trucks
for a nice trip to the seaside. and beyond!!
Mum and I travelled down there on trains via London and then
back home again. Don't remember any problems at the time.