PDA

View Full Version : sacked?

controlledCHAOS
16th Oct 2008, 20:52
Heard an S/O was sacked last week upon arrival from EUR.. Someone said the chief (ism) reported him whilst on his layover for misconduct with cabin purser (yelling and verbal abuse) over a crew meal?

Great move mate! Over a crew meal? :ugh::ugh::ugh: I've had my share of bad curry fishes, but isn't this overboard?

sinkingship
19th Oct 2008, 05:26
Not quite argument with ISM, buy maybe this.

Aussie pilot burgers up after binge. October 18, 2008 SMH

An Australian pilot with the Hong Kong airline Cathay Pacific has been fined in court and faces disciplinary action after being convicted of stealing at McDonald's on a drunken night out.

Nicholas R., 31, was fined at a court hearing yesterday for taking a card-reading machine out of a Hong Kong branch of McDonald's in February.

The theft was captured on closed-circuit television cameras.

R., who is training to be a first officer with the airline, was with two friends at the time and told the court he took the machine after drinking heavily.

He pleaded guilty to theft and was fined 3000 Hong Kong dollars ($A557) and ordered to pay McDonald's 3000 Hong Kong dollars in compensation for the machine.

The card-reading machine is used by customers to pay for meals with Octopus accumulated value cards, widely used to pay for public transportation and small purchases in Hong Kong.

A letter from a senior Cathay Pacific captain detailing R. professionalism was read to the court, and Magistrate Garry Tallentire said he hoped the incident would not affect his career.

controlledCHAOS
19th Oct 2008, 07:32
Stealing from McDonald's I can understand, but being drunk? That's totally out of line.

hongkongfooey
19th Oct 2008, 09:17
Fairly smart thing to do :hmm:

A letter from a senior Cathay Pacific captain detailing R. professionalism
Unfortunately, said Captain could not vouch for his intelligence :rolleyes:

The Messiah
19th Oct 2008, 10:35
Caught stealing gives you a criminal record in Australia
No it doesn't, you would usually be charged under section 556A which means no record of conviction and therefore has no bearing on holding an ASIC card in Oz. Being drunk is sometimes an acceptable excuse for drunken behaviour. Thank christ.:ok:

555orange
19th Oct 2008, 10:53
Rediculous... everyone has had moments like this. And if you havent..then you've had other moments of poor behavior in some other case. Maybe your a jerk and you treated your ex wife poorly..maybe you got mad at the guy who cut you off by mistake... etc etc. This blokes behaviour was out of line..but was he sorry for it? Is he a good guy generally?? Everyone deserves a second chance. If he gets sacked that that just proves the poor quality of people that Cathay management has become. And shame on anyone that persecutes this individual without first looking at yourself. Are you really innocent in all your lifes behavior??

Guava Tree
19th Oct 2008, 10:56
I don't understand why we on this forum pussyfoot around and are the last to name names when all is already in the public domain.
It seems to me that there may have been exasperating circumstances in this case and he merely gave vent to his feelings.
.... oohhh in our money economy these machines are taboo, tabu, tapu!

We need more pilots like this who when it is reasonable can step outside the box.

But we have to train our pilots so that they can make action like this without having to drink beers first.

"Drunken pilot stole Octopus machine
Cathay flyer fined for McDonald's stunt "

Loretta Fong and Simon Parry
Oct 18, 2008

An Australian Cathay Pacific (SEHK: 0293) pilot who stole an Octopus card machine from a McDonald's restaurant while drunk was fined HK$3,000 yesterday.
Nicholas Reymond, 31, pleaded guilty to one count of theft in Eastern Court before Principal Magistrate Garry Tallentire. He was also ordered to pay the fast-food chain HK$3,000 in compensation.

The prosecutor told the court that the manager at the branch of McDonald's in Castle Road, Central, discovered the machine was missing from a cashier counter on the morning of February 3.

When he checked closed-circuit television footage, the images showed Reymond, who was with two other people, disconnecting the machine. He then used his Octopus card to buy food at another counter, the court heard.

The prosecutor said police were able to trace Reymond through his Octopus card. He walked into a police station on June 26 but denied any wrongdoing under caution.

However, the court heard that Reymond turned himself in again on July 15. This time he admitted under caution that he had taken the machine.

Reymond made a second caution statement on August 25, during which he refused to identify his two friends and said they had nothing to do with the theft.

The prosecutor added that if anyone connected the stolen Octopus machine to a computer with Octopus software, it could be used to add value to any Octopus card, up to a maximum of HK$20,000.

However, there was no evidence to show that Reymond had used the machine to add value to any Octopus card, the court was told.

In mitigation, the court was told that Reymond, who has been flying since 1999, was receiving first-officer training. His lawyer said he was loyal and mature, and that he had committed the offence after drinking heavily.

A letter written by a senior Cathay captain detailing the pilot's professionalism was submitted to the court.

His lawyer asked the magistrate to consider his client's career and treat him leniently, adding that he had not committed the offence for personal gain.

In sentencing, Mr Tallentire said the crime had arisen out of stupidity and that it was a serious offence. He said the defendant, being a responsible person, should not have committed such wrongdoing. He hoped the incident would not affect his career and that his company would give him another chance.

A Cathay Pacific spokeswoman said they would conduct an investigation into the incident.

She said the company had no set policy in handling such cases and that they would look at the details, circumstances and severity of the incident, and review it on its merits.

Octopus Card Limited declined to comment.

r

Old Fella
19th Oct 2008, 11:06
Hope the pious posters naming the hapless CX driver who went a bit over the top feel great after spreading his name worldwide on this forum. I suspect the story in the SCMP would not have made it offshore from HK and therefore would have been restricted in circulation. Good one dobbers! I would not expect you to be brave enough to use your own names on your posts.

Guava Tree
19th Oct 2008, 11:17
I think you miss my point sir.
Anyway, let me introduce you to Google.
Google could be your friend too. 68, 78, 98....
Never too late

SMOC
19th Oct 2008, 11:44
I suspect the story in the SCMP would not have made it offshore from HK and therefore would have been restricted in circulation.

Afraid not....

Sydney Morning Herald - "Aussie pilot burgers up after binge"

Brisbane Times - "Australian pilot fined for stealing at Hong Kong McDonald's"

SBS World news - "Aussie pilot fined in court for stealing"

The Age and several other world news web sites have the story.

The Messiah
19th Oct 2008, 13:40
are you saying there is no record of a conviction for stealing in Aus?
Depends on what you steal but for a minor indiscretion such as this yes, you would have no recorded conviction a bit like being give one chance, which I don't think is the reason for society 'spiralling out of control' as you put it. Poor education systems, corrupt politicians and corporate greed are far more to blame than someone knicking a bloody octopus machine from Maccas I would have thought. It was a stupid thing to do but that's all it was, who did he hurt? How about a bit of perspective.

Would I be right abc1 that you are a tee totaller?

Guava Tree
19th Oct 2008, 13:47
Don't say that.
He insulted the Octopus God.
No punishment can be too severe.

itwilldoatrip
19th Oct 2008, 13:51
One could say at one point only way to get into Australia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kitsune
19th Oct 2008, 18:16
Uuuuummmm, does that mean that those convicted of criminal conspiracy in the USA should be sacked from CX too? :cool:

Sleeve_of_Wizard
20th Oct 2008, 01:45
So what about the S/O who argued with the ISM?

iceman50
20th Oct 2008, 03:05
Pity his two mates, that he has so "bravely" protected did not protect him from himself on the night in question!!

His behaviour was and is not acceptable, being drunk is not an excuse!

411A
20th Oct 2008, 03:11
Have to laugh at all this.

It was bad enough when two CX crew fell in the drink behind the Truck in NRT some years ago, having a quick p** (very clearly had far too many) then operated out rather early the next morning, they didn't make complete fools of themselves as this nitwit apparently did.

Thirty days in the slammer would have been about right.
Sacked?
No, just demoted....cabin steward might be appropriate.

Fr8t M8te
20th Oct 2008, 04:42
No, just demoted....cabin steward might be appropriate.

Bob,

You are starting to sound like a seriously cracked vintage 78 record.

Give it a rest and go and practice circuits on your zimmer frame eh?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sleeve_of_Wizard
20th Oct 2008, 06:56
Yeah gotta laugh as well....
Another one joins the ranks of famous CX alcoholics being caught doing stoopid ****.... well, at least this time it wasn't at the hands of Nepalese Bouncers from Wan Chai............

Kitsune
20th Oct 2008, 07:19
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: before putting 411a on the ignore list
:):):):):) after putting 411a on the ignore list

abc1
20th Oct 2008, 07:55
''A tee totaller?'' A terse retort or less comprehensive than insulting my deity?

Feeble excuses = gen Y to a tee!

mr Q
21st Oct 2008, 10:51
It would be interesting to know who tipped off the press that this matter was for hearing in the Court
The HK press seldom sit in on magistrates' courts unless they have been tipped off beforehand and often are able to report on a case afterwards when in fact no press have been present during that particular hearing

BusyB
21st Oct 2008, 11:00
411A,

I suppose you thought it funny too when an american pilot stepped out of the truck in front of a vehicle and got killed.

You really disgust me:mad:

MajorLemond
21st Oct 2008, 11:08
haha what a trooper! nothing like some good old fashioned HK octopussy :)

Dusk till Prawn
21st Oct 2008, 11:08
So was it the Hamburger eating guy with an octopus card machine fetish that got sacked? Or the happy go lucky crew abusing guy that was mentioned earlier in the thread?

I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things.

EXEZY
22nd Oct 2008, 06:53
If these sackings continue the upgrade times might come down. :}

Plasma
22nd Oct 2008, 12:34
I for one am quite happy, what is that like 4 guys sacked for stupid sh*t this month..

It helps ensure the rest of us don't get laid off.

Guava Tree
23rd Oct 2008, 04:45
You speak the truth Plasma, but what were the other 3 cases?

Major-Domo
23rd Oct 2008, 05:26
Plasma ,
You obviously have not been there long. When CX decide to thin the ranks half a dozen or so who offer themselves as cannon fodder won't make a bit of difference. Just don't step on your *ick and you may just last as one of the CX happy team players :eek:.

Sleeve_of_Wizard
25th Oct 2008, 01:16
Any news of his fate yet?

http://seemikedraw.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/hamburglar-final.jpg

Sue Ridgepipe
10th Nov 2008, 13:01
Australian pilot back on duty after drunken prank - News - Travel (http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/australian-cathay-pilot-back-on-duty-after-drunken-prank/2008/11/10/1226165432222.html)

flash8
10th Nov 2008, 21:38
Octopus Card Limited declined to comment.

Ermmm shouldn't that be Mc D's declined to comment?

So I go out and steal a Volvo (only kidding kids!) and the press then asks for a statement from Volvo Motors?

Journo's really desperate to fill a page!