PDA

View Full Version : Kalitta Restricted from Columbia?

WhaleDriver
16th Oct 2008, 14:53
Just heard that Kalitta is restricted from flying in and over Columbia. Atlas just picked up a bunch of South America flying from them.

I can't imagine this being a result of bad fuel as a cause of the BOG crash. The story on the street is fire handles wired wrong?

Anyone hear anything else?

CR2
17th Oct 2008, 19:05
Atlas is flying Centurion flights now. WE... flight numbers.

zerozero
20th Oct 2008, 04:11
I heard the same rumor re: the fire handle wiring.

But it just sounds too crazy to be true.

Time will tell.

SNS3Guppy
20th Oct 2008, 04:30
Kalitta has not been restricted from flying into our out of Colombia.

Kalitta has elected not to fly there; this did not happen due to any restrictions, of any kind.

Fire handles wired wrong? What have fire switches to do with the price of tea in china?

zerozero
20th Oct 2008, 15:28
Hey Guppy, it's 'mar' from PPW.

:)

The "crazy fire handle theory" goes like this: fire warning on one outboard, the crew pulled the appropriate fire handle, but it was wired wrong (to the other outboard) thus instigating a double engine failure.

Sounds pretty crazy to me. Not even sure if it's possible. But the older I get the less surprised I am at things.

:bored:

layinlow
20th Oct 2008, 21:44
I've had some screwy problems including wiring on these old birds coming off a D check, sometimes a C check. With some of the contractor maintenance you never know. But it is still only speculation. Wait for the final report. I know one thing though, if it is true then Connie better close up shop because the victims will own the company.

SNS3Guppy
21st Oct 2008, 05:25
ZZ,

I'm guessing you know who this is, too. :E

I've heard accounts from the folks who were down there, and the folks who were there on the investigation, but that's a new one on me. I haven't heard any discussion regarding fire switches at all, but like you say, anything is possible and of course...nothing new under the sun.

I believe the sequence of events really precludes that scenario, as it wasn't the fire switch that caused the subsequent events. Then again, it's still an open case (and a delicate one, as you can imagine). For now I'm content to wait and see what unfolds. --AB

layinlow
21st Oct 2008, 13:08
I must be slow today, I don't know who youa re, send me a private message. And you are of course right. Only a complete investigation, which takes a while will uncover the truth. I remember once when we had a plane come out of a mod and the gear hande, when raised, caused a pressurization problem. The mechs in NY found mis-wiring. You never know. I am sure the investigators will get to the root of the problem soon enough, but given the previous comments about the accident in another forum, I doubt it was wiring.

SNS3Guppy
21st Oct 2008, 13:58
Sorry, the who-am-I was for someone else, an associate from far away.

We once took delivery of a turbine twin commander from South America, which was deposited at our hangar by a haggard looking ferry pilot who accepted payment and vanished. Upon turning on the beacon, the left engine starter motor engaged. A great deal of money and time went into correcting unfathomable problems which continually begged the same question..."what the hell?"

That wasn't the case with the airplane in Bogota, however. I, like others wait in interest for the final results.

layinlow
21st Oct 2008, 15:33
Now that is one screwy squawk!

zerozero
22nd Oct 2008, 03:56
Sorry for the late reply--got distracted.

Here's another one for you.

I once flew a C207 that showed an increase on the EGT as you turned on electrical equipment.

That had the guys scratching their heads for a little while.

:8

Best Angle
22nd Oct 2008, 20:15
Quote:
I once flew a C207 that showed an increase on the EGT as you turned on electrical equipment.

Corrosion under a ground strap.

zerozero
23rd Oct 2008, 04:12
Ha!

Now you tell me!

Where were you 10 years ago?

:8