PDA

View Full Version : DXB approach and Burj Dubai

cottonfoo
16th Oct 2008, 14:46
'Afternoon,

Quick potentially bizarre question from someone that knows nothing about flying. Will be flying Emirates via DXB in late December, and am hoping to get a glimpse of the Burj Dubai on approach. Are all approaches from the same direction, or will it be pot luck as to which side it'll pass on?

Thanks.

keel beam
16th Oct 2008, 15:12
If you are landing on 12R/L you'll see the Burj Dubai (visibility permitting) on the right.

Your best view (assuming your departing flight routes towards Bahrain) departing on 12R/L) will be on the right hand side of the aircraft. You fly tantalisingly close to the Burj Dubai. Have you're camera ready!

Another assumption, it is a daylight flight.

cottonfoo
16th Oct 2008, 15:24
Brilliant, thanks. I happen to have already reserved seats on the right hand side of the aircraft. I arrive at 8.45 from LHR, and depart at 10.10 toward MEL.

BladePilot
17th Oct 2008, 09:31
If its a daylight flight and the smog (or wind blown sand) isn't bad chances are you'll see it. If on the approach you can see a lot of water below you then the building should appear on the right hand side it's quite awesome. If you see lots of desert below then it's going to appear on the left!
You can also see the Burj Dubai from various postions around the airport terminal building.
In all of the years I've been flying into Dubai as a passenger its been a 12 landing with approach accross the sea. Bag a seat on the right hand side of the aircraft and get your camera ready, goodluck:ok:

deltayankee
17th Oct 2008, 11:19
You do indeed have a good chance to see it. Couple of weeks ago we also had a close view after takeoff. It was on the right hand side and so close you could see it in spite of the haze. It is certainly impressive to fly past someone's window at about 3000ft.

Some days the haze is so bad you can't see the tower until you are up close. I am wondering how often the occupants will see the ground or whether they will have to content themselves with waving to passengers.

cottonfoo
18th Oct 2008, 02:09
Thanks all. If I get any good pics I may post them :)

checcker10
20th Oct 2008, 08:31
Chances are you'll land on 12L(favoured runway) from LHR and dep on 30R for Mel as wind tends to turn about that time if you're lucky. Mel SID off 30R take you right past on left hand side. It is generally sticking out of the muck so you'll see the top at least.Can see it now out my window.Still going up!!
Enjoy EK