PDA

View Full Version : Waive security for 15 Euros?

flowman
16th Oct 2008, 13:48
Recently my wife and son took a flight out of Brussels.
After the usual scrum at the security screening point a small bottle of liquid was taken out of my son's luggage. It was guitar cleaning fluid that was in a guitar case that he had thought would be checked into the hold. The carrier, though, had kindly agreed to let him take it with him in the cabin. Anyway to cut a long story short, the security official consulted with his supervisor who said that if my son paid 15 Euros he could take the liquid on board.
Either a liquid is banned or it is not. I fail to see the relevance of an exchange of money in this situation. Is somebody trying to make a fast buck here?
It seems outrageous to me that Al-Qaeda can get a bomb onto an aeroplane by paying what is either a non-sensical and foolish surcharge, or a petty money making scam.
Are we going through all this security hassle for nothing?
Have any other Ppruners encountered a similar request for cash?
flowman

mcgoo
16th Oct 2008, 14:10
Yes, a friend of mine had received an expensive bottle of aftershave for christmas and it was taken off him because it was more than 100ml, he was told he could take it onboard if he paid a 20 excess baggage charge.

gooneydog
16th Oct 2008, 14:16
The REAL intent of "security" occassionaly shows it's true face

flowman
16th Oct 2008, 14:22
So like green taxes have absolutely nothing to do with the environment, these security charges have nothing to do with security.
I just cannot understand that anyone would be allowed to jeopardize the whole system for 15 Euros. Just think of all the queueing and taking of of shoes and belts and farting about emptying pockets and all the rest of it that is now rendered completely pointless!
It's just an industry based on misery.
This cannot be legal.

fitliker
16th Oct 2008, 15:03
This has to be a wind-up,there is absolutely no way anyone could ever get a bottle on an airplane .

How much do they charge for duty free ???

PaperTiger
16th Oct 2008, 17:01
Did either of you get a receipt ? Without one, this is just apocryphal.

If you did, contact the nearest media ;)

Loose rivets
16th Oct 2008, 23:29
It has to be a scam. Mods, should this be moved up stairs?

This is serious stuff. If you're quite sure of your facts, and you do seem to be, then police would seem to be the next move. I wouldn't however, try to do it via a 'supervisor' at the airport.

The British police used to be the interface for Interpol, I don't know how it works now.

flowman
17th Oct 2008, 10:48
No money changed hands (the liquid itself was only worth about 5 quid) so there is no receipt.
I agree that it's serious stuff, I just wanted to know if it was also common practice. I would have put it in Rumours and News myself but everything gets moved out of there to dark corners that do not have as wide an audience.