PDA

View Full Version : A question for all you drummers out there

whiz
16th Oct 2008, 09:44
Hi there,
Number 1 son has recently purchased an electronic drum kit and just to make it doubly noisy a double bass pedal. He feels that the beaters are too far away from the drum and wants to move them nearer. The beaters seem to be attached to a hexagonal bar but I cant see any way to loosen them and move them round. Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance

kevmusic
16th Oct 2008, 09:57
Are you (is he) referring to the distance of the beater axis from the drum head? I've been drumming for 40 years and AFAIK there is no way of adjusting this. Once it's attached, it's attached. You can vary the length of the beater and the amount of spring pressure but that's about it.

Sadly, my experience doesn't encompass double pedals - perhaps other Pruners may know something?

whiz
16th Oct 2008, 10:40
Hi Kev,
He's referring to the physical distance of the beater head from the 'skin' of the drum which necessitates almost full pedal movement to get the beater to strike the 'skin'

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/c3/05/8fcf_1.JPG

This is a shot of the set he bought, his main pedal beater is the same as the pic but the slave beater is about 45' further back

c-bert
16th Oct 2008, 10:53
Are you sure the pedal is correctly attached to the bass pad / drum? My bass pedal has a slot and the bass drum (Roland type) slides into it fully to be properly located.

My beater shaft (oh er!) is just past vertical when is in contact with the drum skin.

Howard Hughes
16th Oct 2008, 10:56
You see the adjuster on the top of the spring (in the picture that you provided), you loosen that, push the beater closer to the skin and retighten! Assuming as posted above that everything else is attached correctly! http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/drumroll.gif

whiz
16th Oct 2008, 11:43
Are you sure the pedal is correctly attached to the bass pad / drum? My bass pedal has a slot and the bass drum (Roland type) slides into it fully to be properly located.

My beater shaft (oh er!) is just past vertical when is in contact with the drum skin.

Hi c-bert
Yup, the pedal has a clamp which locates into a slot at the foot of the bass pad.
It looks like Howard has the answer I will try it tonight

kevmusic
16th Oct 2008, 12:33
You see the adjuster on the top of the spring (in the picture that you provided), you loosen that, push the beater closer to the skin and retighten!

D'oh! :rolleyes: Of course. (Well it was before my breakfast.....)