PDA

View Full Version : Cadets; good idea or bad?

CathayBrat
15th Oct 2008, 19:06
BBC NEWS | UK | Education | Schools work to train cadets (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7670863.stm)
I think its a good idea, had lots of fun in the cadets as a boy, but the teachers unions are complaining that its a recruitment tool for the millitary! Of course it is, thats what its there for, they hope that even if one person joins, it was worth it. Surely its better that they join the cadets than a gang!
All thoughts welcome as always!

McDoo
15th Oct 2008, 19:12
That's because all teachers are left wing surrender monkeys and object to anyone other than themselves indoctrinating the kids.:E

I too had fun in the cadets and never once felt pressured into joining up after school. Undeterred I tried anyway but didn't fancy their offer of a commission as an F4 nav just coz I'm a tad short sighted.

Krystal n chips
16th Oct 2008, 05:32
Methinks there are those in the NUT who protest too much...and that maybe they should take a closer look at their own contribution to the youth of today by actually educating them and not simply spoon feeding them with a view to "ticking a box".....thus helping the kids to actually think for themselves and not expect others to do it for them.

The cadet forces have always been a source of recruitment for the military....but equally, not every member has joined up.....something called personal choice I believe......a concept that seems to escape the NUT's more rabid left fraternity.....no surprise there then....so yes, a good idea as for many it will offer the chance to learn the philosophy of a disciplined approach to any area of their lives....and the benefits.

Buster Hyman
16th Oct 2008, 05:44
Ok, I may be naieve, but wouldn't that provide a form of discipline so desperately needed in the schools?

Romeo India Xray
16th Oct 2008, 06:37
Ok, I may be naieve, but wouldn't that provide a form of discipline so desperately needed in the schools?

Until recently I was an ATC CI and had been sine 1999ish. Things had changed a lot since I was a cadet - the PC brigade were out in force. Punishment was almost non existent. As a cadet, the bane of my life had been cleaning the floor with a tootbrush - no more :{

Discipline is badly needed for the kids these days, from where I am standing it looks like it is gone for good and how much worse society can get from this is anyones guess.

RIX

merlinxx
16th Oct 2008, 06:41
All cadet forces are an excellent idea.

Blacksheep
16th Oct 2008, 08:18
I learned more useful stuff in 1261 Squadron than I ever did in school.

(Then I became a Brat, which made me what I am today. A clapped out, horny old goat.)

Captain Stable
16th Oct 2008, 08:24
McDoo - it's not a question of being left-wing.

I'm what you would probably call left-wing myself. I am a product of the cadets, and am all in favour, and would encourage anyone to join.

The problem is with the unimaginative, uneducated PC brigade, who come from all sides of the political spectrum. I've heard both left- and right-wingers spouting that "competition is not good for the little dears - it hurts their self-esteem if they lose" and that "they need to express themselves not be straight-jacketed by out-dated role models".

Bollocks.

Get them thinking for themselves. Get them used to the idea that there is a structure to life and that they need to accept that there will be people in their life (bosses, senior officers, managers, whoever) telling them to do this or that and they need to listen and pay attention, not just respond "Don't diss me, man. Get outta my face." Get them to realise that rewards come before work only in the dictionary and that something you've worked hard for brings its own reward - the satisfaction of having stuck with it and got the result.

BlueWolf
16th Oct 2008, 09:00
They need to take all the teachers, and all the wannabe teachers, and the pinko journalists and the human rights whingers, and the all the other apologists, and put THEM through bloody boot camp and then the Cadets, and then we wouldn't have to put up with all the problems they create.

By Various Deities, if I was in charge, a few things would be done different.
:*

Opsbeatch
16th Oct 2008, 10:41
They are a fantastic idea if the fun police don't take it over as they have been doing!!

I was in from 1986 until last year as a cadet then CI, left due to all the red tape and the increasing amount of time they expected you to give for free.

Good times!

OB

shedhead
16th Oct 2008, 12:27
It's a very good idea,was a cadet myself and I did join up but like most of my fellow cadets at the time I joined the cadets because I intended to join the forces, I didn't join the forces because of the cadets.That is something that never crosses the minds of the pc brigade.They prefer to believe that we have been indoctrinated into a militaristic mindset.and they should know about indoctrinating young minds, it is what they are all about!

kevmusic
16th Oct 2008, 13:13
Many of the teachers I've met, both as a parent and in my profession, could be fairly well described as conservative - the popular image of "left wing surrender monkeys" just doesn't fit. And those left wingers I have met are principled, intelligent free thinkers with a pragmatic and professional approach. (Sorry about all the 'pr..'s!)

I was a CI with 617 VGS in the 80s and I thought it was a really wonderful set-up. On the summer courses you had 16 year-olds who couldn't tell one end of a glider from another on Monday who by Friday/Saturday were going solo. Fantastic! Talk about character-forming.

It gets my vote. :ok:

CUNIM
16th Oct 2008, 13:54
Marvellous time in ATC. Gained a flying scholarship, got my PPL before the driving licence. Couldn't get a CPL as no money and ended up in ATC - Air Traffic Control that is :{
But the cadet force background was always something to look back on.:ok:

Davetron
16th Oct 2008, 14:32
Spent 6 years in the ATC and had some of the best times of my, so far short, life. Made a few good mates, learnt a lot about a wide range of subjects and it kept me busy and out of trouble. I would encourage anyone to join, and if they don't like it then they can always leave!

Mac the Knife
16th Oct 2008, 15:21
Going to agree with BlueWolf there.

Had lots of fun in the Cadets. 'Course in those days we were allowed to blow things up, shoot all sorts of weapons live, half die of exposure, break assorted bones and generally have a ball.

One of our CSMs got married very late in life and one of us was bold enough to ask him why. "Well son,", he replied, "I likes to read in bed and I needed something to wet me' fingers with when I'm turnin' the page".

Boom! Boom!

:E

frostbite
16th Oct 2008, 15:33
Thoroughly enjoyed ATC, spent a wonderful week at Bassingbourne, first ever flight in a Chippy, then an Anson. Annoyed everyone in the Mess by selecting RAF March Past on the jukebox.

Even enjoyed square bashing.

corsair
16th Oct 2008, 16:49
Often wished they had something similar to the Cadets over here when I was a teenager. Particularly the Air Cadets. But it was not to be. However quite a few underaged teenagers joined the FCA (Reserve Defence Force), which was the Irish equivalent of the TA. I met fourteen and fifteen year olds in it. They looked older though.

I think any kind of military training is good for anyone.

I was on a train in England earlier this year. Across from me there were several teenagers who were obviously on the way back from Cadet Camp. From their conversation they were mostly from well off and privileged backgrounds but several clearly intended to join the forces when they left school (as officers, obviously) in spite of the fact they knew they would probably end up somewhere like Afghanistan.

It struck me that the tradition in Britain of young people from comfortable and privileged backgrounds going into the army hasn't gone away. Despite all the possible alternatives available these days.

larssnowpharter
16th Oct 2008, 17:05
One was dispatched post haste at the age of 9 to a 3rd rate English boarding school. Feckin awful place. Latin, Greek corporal punishment, a bullying policy that positively encouraged bullying, sexual abuse you name it, we had it!

At the age of 13 I was enrolled in the CCF Light Infantry Section. Obligatory. At 14 or 15 transferred to the RAF Section.

It was the best thing there was in the bloody awful school. Got to shoot Lee Enfields, Brens, crawl around Dartmoor in the dark frightening campers, summer camp learning to glide and a flying scholarship at 17. All thanks to the CCF.

At one summer camp, orders came out and they included traveling home in uniform. Np problem to me - the good little soldier - who got out his good (parade) boots, ironed his trousers (soap on the inside of the seams) took the train to Bristol and jumped on the DC3 to Dublin.

Me Dad panicked, took off his raincoat covered me uniform of which I was oh so proud and gave me a bollicking for attempting to enter the Republic in a British Army uniform.

Happy days

CathayBrat
16th Oct 2008, 20:18
I wonder if this chap was a cadet, or just really enjoys his job! Its worth watching to the end, made me giggle!:D
YouTube - RAF Airmarshall Dancing (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SPloOj7xj9M)

L'aviateur
16th Oct 2008, 20:26
I really enjoyed being an air cadet, flying the grobs out of Church Fenton was great as well as doing the Duke of Edinburgh award, helping out at RAF Waddington Airshow. Would be a shame to lose such great activity centres.
Have been wondering recently about how to become a volounteer at such places, as the staff always seemed to have fun too. Could be rewarding to put something back in.

kevmusic
16th Oct 2008, 21:00
YouTube - RAF Airmarshall Dancing (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SPloOj7xj9M)

And there's me thinking it was about a dancing RAF Air Mashall! :}

Jimmy Macintosh
16th Oct 2008, 21:20
Cadets are an excellent organisation. Was in the CCF from 1988-1993, gained my gliding wings, lots of AEF in chippies, and various helicopters. Shot all sorts of weapons, even played with the Rapier simulator in RAFG Wildenrath. Learned to teach various subjects in front of a class of cadets.
Wanted to join up before joining the cadets, still wanted to afterwards, but it didn't work out that way. The biggest things, self confidence, discipline and repsect. Essential for todays growing youths.

Sunray Minor
16th Oct 2008, 22:27
Wasn't a bad time, learnt to fly and got my first non-paid trips in Iroquois and Hercs. Blasting away at a 5A facing with an old .22 bolt action was a new experience and put me in better shape when the day came to do the same to running Russians with a Steyr...

...but it didn't exactly land you many friends at school, didn't impress the birds and our our CO was apparently a paedophile.

On balance a good experience I suppose, but gangs probably bring more excitement these days.

Put1992
16th Oct 2008, 22:34
I had an average time in the ATC, but I found I didn't gain a great deal from it. Flying aspect (the majority most join) was not great (not that I needed it). Life skills - How many stretches of concrete can one cross, without touching the concrete, using tyres alone, while getting others acrosss with you, every tuesday night?:rolleyes: The camps - boy have I had some fun, they were probably the best thing about it. I just found for an organisation that apparently builds characters, improves communication and social skills, it was full of dull, boring, pompous people who found infinite pride in how shiny there shoes were, or complete wankers.

Slate me if you will, but that's how I found cadets. It may just have been at the squadron I was at, but it's my opinion. I personally beleive myself, and the majority of other people I know, have developed as people well through being brought up with good moral values, and being taught these skills from day one.

Put

flower
17th Oct 2008, 00:02
This evening I attended a Church Parade commemorating the 70th Anniversary of 30F ATC Squadron Cardiff. The church was filled with cadets from all 3 of the Cardiff ATC Squadrons and their Instructors of which I am one.

The issue of CCF squadrons does seem unecessary, throughout the UK there are cadet squadrons be they Army, Air or Navy. I doubt there are too many places in the UK without easy access to a unit. There are great concerns being discussed within my wing that it may direct funding away from already established units. Why the Government can't simply link current Cadet units with schools instead of trying to create a new force I don't know.Yes get the CCF units involved but not at the expense of an already thriving organisation.

teeteringhead
20th Oct 2008, 11:37
L'aviateur

if you're serious about volunteering, or want to know more, check out this website. (http://www.aircadets.org/atc_join.html) Not a lot of use in the cote d'azur but your other locations would welcome you.....

...... or you could PM me and I could give you local contacts for wherever. :ok: