PDA

View Full Version : No such thing as jobless?

G-CPTN
15th Oct 2008, 17:36
With news of growing unemployment (and the full impact of financial meltdown in the banking industry hasn't hit the figures yet), the word is that there are plenty of jobs available for those newly dismissed from their posts.
Thing is, if you are currently working in high finance or in a job demanding technical qualifications (and experience), just how low down the ladder should you be prepared to go?
Shelf-filling at a supermarket is quoted as being readily available (and it isn't arduous work), but would you settle for that if you had been previously employed at something more taxing?
What would you do if your current position 'disappeared'?

BBC NEWS | Business | Jobless rise highest for 17 years (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7670800.stm)
BBC NEWS | Business | How bad will unemployment get? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7672198.stm)

McDoo
15th Oct 2008, 18:07
Dunno. What's the market for gigolos like in the current climate?

Rainboe
15th Oct 2008, 18:08
Definitely rising I think. Getting much bigger. Placement doesn't seem too much of a problem. One hopes it will last.

McDoo
15th Oct 2008, 18:14
If you want a job that's more taxing, join Gordon Brown's mob. They'll tax bloody anything.

G-CPTN
15th Oct 2008, 18:29
When I was out of work in the late 1980s, I found it almost impossible to get an interview, and even then, employers 'weren't convinced' that I would stay as my qualifications and experience exceed that sought for the jobs that I was applying. After ten months unemployed (during which I applied for every technical sales job advertised in the Telegraph that I thought I could do, regardless of location) I was pretty desperate. It was only because we had recently moved house and taken on 30,000 more mortgage than we needed (intending to spend this on 'improving' the house) that I was able to continue paying the mortgage (from capital).

I 'retrained' during which time I did voluntary work as marketing manager for a small 'one-man business' (that employed five people). I was offered continued employment there in return for shares in the company (ie no salary . . . ) :ugh:

Desperate times until I eventually did get a job.

McDoo
15th Oct 2008, 18:39
1990. No flying jobs about. Mortgage etc. Bought a 3.5 ton Fiat Ducato and spent 14 months as White Van Man. Didn't bring in much money but perversely I really enjoyed it.:confused:

Job Centre didn't want to know as soon as they found out my profession.

"I'll do anything you've got"

"Oh no, that would all be below you"

"No, really, I don't mind. I'll drive, work in a bar, flip burgers, anything. What do you want me to do? Sit at home on benefits?"

"I'm sure you'll get a job flying again soon"

Really helpful:ugh:

Lance Murdoch
15th Oct 2008, 18:40
A very good question G-CPTN, what would you do if you lost your present position?

When I got laid off from a large car manufacturing company some years ago I went from being a quality engineer responsible for a popular model of car to driving a van and casual labouring at a removals company. It was very hard to swallow my pride but I figured it was better than sitting around doing nothing. Luckily I started a new engineering job after a few months. The problem with being in a job is that it is very difficult to get time off to attend interviews which if I lost my job now would probably make me think twice before taking a lower skilled job straight away.

During this period I had very little time for the 'oh theres loads of jobs in England' crowd. The lectures usually came from baby boomers who were in safe cushy jobs where redundancy would just mean a comfortable early retirement.
On the other hand I had even less time for the 'Im too good for manual labour' crowd as this sentiment usually came from those who have never bothered to get an education or make any real effort. If it was good enough for me with my qualifications and experience it was certainly good enough for them.

G-CPTN
15th Oct 2008, 18:41
1990. No flying jobs about.

You could have always retrained as a . . .

. . . bus driver :)

Nigd3
15th Oct 2008, 19:00
When I recently graduated in the early 90's and couldn't get an engineering job anywhere, due to usual not enough experience and plenty of experienced engineers on the market, I took a manual labour job.
Spent 6 months making car door inside panels, strangely enough made from old mashed up denim. Job was monotonous, smelly, sweaty & lots of fumes but enjoyed working with some very witty, rough as a bears a%se characters, who took it upon themselves to amicably educate me in the school of hard knocks.
Wouldn't want to do the job forever but actually missed some aspects of the place when I got a "proper" job.

Overdrive
15th Oct 2008, 19:41
Dunno. What's the market for gigolos like in the current climate?

Apparently there are many openings that need filling.

fireflybob
15th Oct 2008, 20:05
Well I suppose I could go back to being a Railway Signaller - a job I took on when I was unable to get back into the airlines following a spell away following a family bereavement. It was quite a fun job and Network Rail were very good to work for.

But, as I often say, if you have a shortage of money, you actually have a shortage of good ideas.