PDA

View Full Version : Substantial display at Farnborough Thursday 16 Oct

WHBM
15th Oct 2008, 14:51
I can only forward the information I have for a display at Farnborough Thursday 16 October

12:00 AAC Apache
12.04 1929 Gipsy Moth
12.07 1931 Tiger Moths
12.08 1933 Rapide
12.10 1935 Avro Anson
12.13 1935 Hawker Hurricane
12.15 1948 Chipmunk
12.19 1952 Avro Vulcan
12.22 1974 BAe Hawk (RAF 208 Sqn)
12.25 1994 Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF 11 Sqn)
12.28 Boeing C-17 (RAF 99 Sqn)
12.31 Vulcan lands at Farnborough

chevvron
15th Oct 2008, 15:35
There may be more, and it's only a flypast not a display.

Warmtoast
15th Oct 2008, 15:56
To celebrate centenary of Cody's first official flight of a heavier than air machine in the British Isles (16th October 1908).

A bit more here: Rushmoor Borough Council - Cody Flypast - 16 October 2008 (http://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=8397)

Saab Dastard
15th Oct 2008, 16:21
I have time to come down to see this!

Anyone know where a good place to watch this would be? Preferably where one (a member of general public) is allowed to, and allowed to park!

Many thanks!

SD

chevvron
15th Oct 2008, 17:32
The Swan on the A325 is right next to the flypast datum.

Vulcan 903
15th Oct 2008, 17:53
Good beer and good beer garden!
The Swan Inn, Farnborough :: Welcome (http://swaninnfarnborough.co.uk/)

Park in the Rushmoor car parks (Pay and Display)

aviate1138
16th Oct 2008, 07:49
Aiming to be at the Swan[n] Inn around 11:40. Looking forward to seeing a tribute to Mr Cody. His family house [on the Ash Vale road] looks like it needs some TLC. Only the Plaque is in good condition.

http://www.ashpcsurrey.gov.uk/webpictures/ash/CodyHouse.jpg

srobarts
16th Oct 2008, 12:48
It was worth the trip just to see the Vulcan flypast and then land, not a bad pint at the Swan either! SWiMbO(she who must be obeyed) enjoyed herself too. Thanks to those above who gave the timing and suggested the Swan.

chevvron
16th Oct 2008, 13:14
The Swan must have done good trade; I reckon there must have been several hundred in the road outside.

aviate1138
16th Oct 2008, 13:24
I was in there too! With my SWMBO. Walk into the bar, turn left and walk out right, onto the deck. We were just on the RHS. My other half squeaked when the Vulcan swept majestically past to land, light as a feather! Nice to see the Anson sounding in good form. Hurricane too.

I thought the faster jets could have been somewhat lower! C-17 looked worth the money and the Rapide plus DH minions were all in splendid condition.

Samuel Cody would have been proud and probably amazed at how many aviation buffs made the pilgrimage and paid their respects.

That Vulcan caused a large lump in my throat and some of the money being wasted on the myth of global warming should go to keep her well and truly in the air. After all trees love CO2 and more CO2 means more greenery!

LFittNI
16th Oct 2008, 13:25
.......but rather a pity it was only a flypast. Only the Hawk managed even a dipped wing salute. ATC restrictions perhaps?

I was guesting at TAG, so had a nice view, although shades were required on looking south.

WHBM
16th Oct 2008, 15:07
When did ATC restrict wing-dipping ? Jim Lovell, Apollo 13 commander, apparently always did it to his wife at home when flying over his house in Houston with his NASA jet.

Saab Dastard
16th Oct 2008, 15:15
Well I am so very glad I had the time to get down to Farnborough today. An awesome sight and sound - what a wonderful aircraft, the Vulcan! Well done to FAST for organising, and TAG for accommodating.

Very sad to hear that was possibly the only opportunity I'll ever have of seeing the Vulcan in flight. Rumour has it that RR are getting cold feet about continuing support for the engines, so that may leave her grounded after the return to Bruningthorpe. Desperately sad if true - especially after the herculean efforts of all concerned to get her back in the air.

Thanks to those who suggested the Swan - great view, good food and beer! It was a great place to meet up with some good friends, and have conversations with other enthusiasts.

SD

aviate1138
16th Oct 2008, 16:19
From the deck of the Swan Inn.......
Sorry about the quality of camerawork but the drama is there! Can't believe Rolls Royce may give up the support!

YouTube - Vulcan Bomber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BICLSHRvu_8)

Turn the volume up........

Samuel Cody would have been tickled pink I think. :rolleyes:

Vulcan 903
16th Oct 2008, 16:28
And mine from the grass by the car park - with added car alarms going off!

YouTube - Avro Vulcan XH558 Landing at Farnborough 16/10/08 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyzi0RFFaOU)

overfly
16th Oct 2008, 18:01
many thanks to WHBM for the original heads-up; my better half does not work on a Thursday and I judiciously arranged to work from home today so we managed to get down there and were suitably impressed :cool:
the bonus was the brownie points gained for lunch in the Swan afterwards :ok:

PPRuNe Radar
16th Oct 2008, 18:19
The Olympus is used by many onshore and offshore facilities as gas turbine generators, etc. Maybe someone like the Rolls Wood Group, who overhaul many of the onshore and offshore Olympus, could be approached. The basic engine would be the same and I know they employ many ex RAF 'sooties'.

They look after 166 Olympus turbines for 48 customers, so probably have a fair idea of what is involved, mechanically if not bureaucratically.

Rolls Wood Group Ltd (http://www.rwgroup.com/online/)

overfly
16th Oct 2008, 20:02
did I read that Vulcan takes off on Saturday - anyone know what time please?
TIA

aviate1138
17th Oct 2008, 05:52
afaik 16:30 Bruntingthorpe bound.......

Correction.

According to Vulcan 903......

"Departure Saturday is at 15.00 hrs heading from Farnborough, over Hook then NE."

He knows masses about Vulcans so I would go with his earlier timing.

PS Great video of the approach and landing V 903.

Vulcan 903
17th Oct 2008, 07:34
Your welcome. Hooked up with the crew last night. If anything changes I'll let you know.
FYI The could not power up out of the flypast due to noise regulations at Farnborough!

Crew for Saturday will:
David Thomas - Captain
Bill Perrins - co & refresher training
Barry Masefield - AEO

Last flight of the Vulcan - 2008.

Good place to see it locally is Twesledown Hill or Fleet Shopping Centre Car Park Roof (Top Floor!)

Fareastdriver
17th Oct 2008, 07:42
I doubt if Roll Wood Group would have the neccessary certification to maintain aviation versions and it would be too much of a bind to get them.

Warmtoast
17th Oct 2008, 09:27
I was in Finchampstead on Thursday and at about 11.45 the Anson was orbiting waiting to be called in for the flypast I suppose. What surprised me was how noisy the engines were.

My last flight in an Anson was in the Abingdon station hack way back in May 1959 and my recollections was that it was a much quieter aircraft then - memory plays funny tricks!

Tim McLelland
21st Oct 2008, 07:19
What was the Substantial display like? I believe the Substantial was a follow-on design which came after the Beardmore Inflexible?:p