PDA

View Full Version : QF Domestic CC:LWOP

packrat
15th Oct 2008, 10:27
As the economy experiences a downturn so too will Qantas forward bookings.
As a result there is now a surplus of domestic CC.
Leave without pay is now being offered and expressions of interest are being sought.
Download forms from the CC website

smartalec888
15th Oct 2008, 11:24
Goodbye CNS base, hello London base. QCCUK and Jetconnect still seem to be recruiting, any takers?

QF skywalker
15th Oct 2008, 21:11
Even more reason for the company to offer secondments to short haul crew to the A380 for a 2 year period.

It currently happens with secondments to Qantas UK. No reason it can't happen here to help the surplus.

argusmoon
15th Oct 2008, 22:00
The same LWOP option is likely to be offered in Longhaul.
Get over it...domestics will never be offered a longhaul aircraft

QF skywalker
16th Oct 2008, 02:23
Why then do they allow us to fly 744 and soon A380 in London base ?

twiggs
16th Oct 2008, 02:40
It currently happens with secondments to Qantas UK. No reason it can't happen here to help the surplus.
there is a reason, it's called an EBA

When you go to London you are on LWOP and working for a different company.
The Australian based crew on the A380 are QAL or QCCA crew under our EBA.

lowerlobe
16th Oct 2008, 03:41
Originally posted by Twiggsthere is a reason, it's called an EBA
...In a word rubbish.

It's more like whatever the company wants to do then...the company will do.

They set up the base in LHR and required existing crew who wanted to be based in LHR to apply for LWOP before being hired by another company wholly owned by QF.This circumvents or sidesteps all existing rules and regs and gives them free reign.

If there were no L/H crew spare and they needed crew for the A 380 then you could bet that S/H would be offered the same deal as the LHR base but on QCCA T's and C's.There would be nothing stopping QCCA hiring any QF staff if they were on LWOP.

However...if there is a downturn in flying then there will be excess L/H crew as well as S/H crew.

The bottom line is that if it saves the company money and it suits them I learnt one thing about the company and that is....'Never say never'.

What they say today expires at midnight....if that long:yuk:

ditzyboy
16th Oct 2008, 05:24
What they say today expires at midnight....if that long

Agreed! The company seems to do as it pleases.

I am astounded that we get two CIS messages about LWOP today (and constant reminders about being over-crewed), yet we cannot access ad hoc or special event leave, cannot achieve our release bids in FWA or manage to use any SDOs! :hmm:

Today I was denied my seventh(!) request to use just one of the three SDOs I am owed from a duty in July.

Do we have a surplus? Or do we suffer from a lack of resources? Make up your mind, Qantas! How frustrating :ugh:

cart_elevator
19th Oct 2008, 05:19
Interesting they are offering leave without pay to the Domestics.

I was speaking to a friend who currently works in the training department yesterday,and she told me they are gonna train 120 new full time crew for QCCA Domestic starting in January,as well as about 100 positions for MAM to go to QCCA full time domestic.Go figure :hmm: I wonder what conditions they will be on?

carbonneutral
19th Oct 2008, 23:36
Surplus crew?!? Twice in the last 2 weeks i've operated with longhaul crew on the 767 because they had run out of shorthaulers... Maybe it should be changed to "surplus crew on the shorthaul award".

lowerlobe
20th Oct 2008, 00:03
How many times have crew been called out on standby or turned around up the track when another seemingly obvious decision would have been better for everyone but most of all the company?

As I said in my previous post,the company will do whatever the company wants to do.They have agenda's that are not known to crew and will continue to do things that mystify crew.Even one floor will not tell another floor what they will do let alone tell crew about...

They will play one side against another both within the same division and between international and domestic.The bottom line though is that the last thing that the company wants is a unified work force and they achieve that by doing exactly what they have always done.....divide and conquer.

Whatever policy they think ,decide and inform at 9am on Monday can be refuted,altered and redundant by morning tea time.....on the same day.

skylarker
20th Oct 2008, 00:22
Twice in the last 2 weeks i've operated with longhaul crew on the 767 because they had run out of shorthaulers.

Really, as in cross crewing. How does that happen?

packrat
20th Oct 2008, 00:34
Its just forward plaanning incomptence.The requirement for CC increases during the Christmas period.
If you take LWOP expect a phone call asking you to work over Christmas.

call button
20th Oct 2008, 08:32
The LWOP has nothing to do with sick leave. LWOP is planned to commence from Jan 31 2009. This is the end of school holidays, and due to the world economy there is a forecast downturn next year.

carbonneutral
21st Oct 2008, 06:37
Really, as in cross crewing. How does that happen?

No cross crewing, they called out an ENTIRE longhaul crew...

teresa green
21st Oct 2008, 07:58
According to the Australian today (if you can believe the papers) the "Golden triangle" aka SYD/BNE/MEL is in big trouble as more and more execs move to using technology aka the net and email rather than getting on a A/C, due to the financial meltdown, in which case domestic C/C (and techies) are certainly going to notice the difference. Not good.

mrpaxing
21st Oct 2008, 21:09
of QF are pressing to have further discounts on their corporate travel. in addition several companies have put in place a complete travel ban. only in exceptional cases and signed of by the CEO are senior staff allowed to travel.
thats the info i get from a couple of mates who work for multinationals. and lest not forget qf lost many loyal customers recently to virgin with all their delays/bad press/ pricing.:(

packrat
22nd Oct 2008, 07:08
Now LH CC are being offered leave without pay.
The kicker....you must exhaust all your AL first.
no one has yet been specific as to whether it is all LH CC or QAL or
QCCA

twiggs
22nd Oct 2008, 07:32
The application form says "Longhaul (Qantas Airlines)" ie not QCCA

roamingwolf
22nd Oct 2008, 10:02
The application form says "Longhaul (Qantas Airlines)" ie not QCCA
yup must be right cause twiggsy would know.she could have written the ad herself.

mrpaxing
22nd Oct 2008, 20:54
cabin crew website,Qantas (http://www.qfcrew.com), under communications.this is the new way of communicating to CC.:O

stubby jumbo
23rd Oct 2008, 06:50
......just had a chat with fat boy slim about all this.

Now,.....' he reckons that L/H flying is going to sh!te next year and the Management team( :yuk: ) have been having contigency planning sessions.

Yeah right !! :rolleyes:

Would they be the same planning sessions that have ground this airline to a virtual standstill / How many delays, crew shortages( read rostering stuff up's) happened this week.????

As others have said -some bean counter on qcc-4 came up with some sort of "idea" to increase his/her bonus.

"Hey , we can save money if we get L/H crew off the books for a few BP's...... then "short crew"

BRILLIANT :D

Truly, one day I'll wake up and this nightmare will be over

FOG

lowerlobe
23rd Oct 2008, 20:11
Stubby.....Interesting that you say that because I had exactly the same conversation with Fat Boy Slim about a year or so before I left...

I got the distinct impression that he likes everyone to think he is some sort of king pin in the fish bowl and has the inside line on what is happening.

In reality I think he knows less than a new QCCA crew member... or the average punter in 65K.

Be careful of what you tell him because although he comes across as all warm and fuzzy he is really like a marshmallow with razor blades inside...Whatever you say to him will go straight to the friendly Kiwi.

In fact I am surprised to hear that he is still there!

Perhaps it is his membership in the same club that the well known Kiwi has that is protecting him.