PDA

View Full Version : Landing protocols

MCWINS
15th Oct 2008, 04:54
First post so here goes...
I've asked cabin crew this question and not received a clear answer,
but why is it standard procedure to dim the lights and play appalling canned muzak just before touch down. I'm sure I remember on Qantas flights that they also pull all the window shades down...

Final 3 Greens
15th Oct 2008, 05:17
why is it standard procedure to dim the lights and play appalling canned muzak just before touch down

The purpose is to remove your ability to reason, which has obviously worked as you didn't read the FAQ at the top of the forum.

Now give me 50 :ugh:

PS. Welcome to PPrune.

boardingpass
15th Oct 2008, 08:55
I overhead a pax the other day commenting that the music reminded them of being on the Titanic as it was sinking...

Right Way Up
15th Oct 2008, 09:04
The dimmed lights is supposed to give you better night vision in the case of loss of electrical power in a takeoff/ldg accident.

I guess as Boardingpass suggests the music is just to get you in the mood. ;)

BelArgUSA
15th Oct 2008, 09:13
As far as the "window shades" are concerned, closing them is blocking view of the outside flames and smoke after the crash... this helps keeping passengers from panicking...
xxx
:oh:
Happy contrails

PAXboy
15th Oct 2008, 09:23
MCWINS And you thought that you only experienced turbulence whilst in the air??? :}

The forum FAQ was assembled over a few months and can have more topics added by our main forum moderator (doffs cap to Tight Slot) but don't panic, lots of other folks don't read it either! Something like, "After reading the FAQ carefully, I would like to ask why carrier XYZ does something different?" might work

Welcome aboard and, Yes - we are usually this cheerful!

G SXTY
15th Oct 2008, 10:07
Lights are dimmed for night take-offs and landings in case we need to get you out in a hurry. In a real evacuation your eyes will be more adjusted to the dark and you'll have a better view outside to see what you're evacuating into. Blinds would normally be up for landing.

As regards the awful canned 'music' - God knows. Maybe some marketing genius decided it 'soothes your travelling experience' - personally I'd rather listen to a dentist's drill. Spare a thought for the poor crew who have to endure it all day . . . :yuk: