PDA

View Full Version : LCY

Rush2112
15th Oct 2008, 02:30
OK chaps, here's the thing. I'm off on my hols on Friday for 2/52 to La Belle France, and it has come to pass that I need to be in London for a day toward the end of week 2. I've got flights booked through AF but on City Jet I think, CDG - LCY return. Quite a good price and better than Ryanair TUF - STN and no need to travel into London from STN.

I havent been to London for a while now, and was looking at options to get back to LCY for my return to CDG which is 0930, and I initially thought that as we'll be staying quite close to Fenchurch St station, DLR from Tower Gateway, but, guess what, the station's closed for refurbishment!

Assuming a check in time of 0830, anyone got any idea how long by black cab from say Fenchurch St to LCY? Has Ken's congestion charge made sufficient difference to make it viable?

The other thought I had was foot it to Monument, it looks about 1km so a decent stroll admittedly so mrs R may prefer a cab(!), and pick up the DLR there?

Haven't a clue
15th Oct 2008, 08:32
Farringdon to LCY dep 0700 about 30 mins cost about GBP27 plus tip.
Ditto dep 0800 45 mins; maybe 1 hr, although you are going the opposite way to the heavy traffic.

Fenchurch St will be shorter

If your flight is 0930 suggest you head there early and enjoy a nice leisurly cup of Nero's coffee and a pastry while reading the paper.

Michael SWS
15th Oct 2008, 09:46
You could take a train from Fenchurch Street to Limehouse (every 10 minutes or so; journey time 4 minutes), and pick up the DLR from there. But the easiest option by far is to walk to Bank/Monument (as you say, about 1km) and take the DLR all the way. Trains leave every 10 minutes and take 22 minutes to get there.

Rush2112
15th Oct 2008, 09:53
Cheers guys, I think I might get the tube at Tower Hill and one stop to Monument, then DLR. The coffee and pastry option sounds a winner too!

Globaliser
15th Oct 2008, 14:52
Assuming a check in time of 0830, anyone got any idea how long by black cab from say Fenchurch St to LCY? Has Ken's congestion charge made sufficient difference to make it viable?If you're happy to take a black cab, no more than 30 minutes from Fenchurch St to LCY at that time of the morning - you could possibly do it in closer to 20. The heavy traffic is coming into town, so you shouldn't have any real problems getting out there. The congestion charge is not a factor on this side of town. For maximum speed, though, I would advise getting a cab from a spot that doesn't require going up to the Aldgate one-way system. If you're staying at one of the hotels near Fenchurch St, you might want to ask the hotel for advice about that.

Rush2112
15th Oct 2008, 15:10
Thanks Globaliser. I have no problem with a cab as I can claim it anyway, I just need the best way. I am in a hotel in Cooper's Row apparently so I will check with the desk as you suggest.

Cheers again guys!

Globaliser
15th Oct 2008, 15:20
You'll want to make sure the cab goes south down Coopers Row, then southwest on Trinity Square, and then turn left onto Tower Hill. That way you can get directly onto East Smithfield and then The Highway.

dicanio10
17th Oct 2008, 11:58
I think you'll find the Monument entrance to thhe DLR is closed at the moment. Bank and Monument are not connected whilst there's work going on and it's not much fun accessing the DLR from Bank either. This now involves 3 escalators, stairs and a detour along the Northern Line platforms.
If you are staying in Coopers Row, I would echo the recommendation to take the train from Fenchurch Street tot Limehouse and pick the DLR to King George V from there.

Rush2112
2nd Nov 2008, 10:56
If you're happy to take a black cab, no more than 30 minutes from Fenchurch St to LCY at that time of the morning - you could possibly do it in closer to 20. The heavy traffic is coming into town, so you shouldn't have any real problems getting out there. The congestion charge is not a factor on this side of town. For maximum speed, though, I would advise getting a cab from a spot that doesn't require going up to the Aldgate one-way system. If you're staying at one of the hotels near Fenchurch St, you might want to ask the hotel for advice about that.

It took about 15 mins, cost GBP18.50 so not bad I thought. Thanks for the advice.