View Full Version : Bristol Aviation Sponsorship Scheme

G-BFUN
14th Oct 2008, 20:46
Hello Everyone.
I was just wondering if anyone has any information on the "sponsorship scheme" offerd by Bristol Aviation.

I was just searching for F.T.O and found this one and found the "pilot sponsorship" section very interesting.
(basically stating that they will place you with an employer after training and on the intial sign up you may be bonded for costs or pay up front)

It just seems to good to be true, and from experience I know if this is the case (don't believe it) as CTC can't even place "sponsored" pilots with airlines. So... surly this company can't?

They say that they don't normally offer people stage 2 selection unless airlines are sponsoring.

Anyone here had any experience or have any information on this? Or is it just another F.T.O trying to pull on the heart strings of aspiring pilots.

The link to take you to the particular site explaining the info is below
: Bristol Aviation (http://www.bristolaviation.net/sponsored-pilot-programme.html)
All opinions greatly appreciated.

F/O UFO
16th Oct 2008, 09:32
This is the first i've heard of this scheme too, sounds CTC like. Anyone got any more information?

Rod Wren
30th Oct 2008, 18:47
Hello G-BFUN

The sponsored programmes are different from our self-funded training programmes in that the former are linked to employment.

Our policy is not to accept any applications to our sponsored programmes until there is likelihood that we will be able to place cadets with sponsor employers on graduation from the programmes. Obviously what we want to avoid is large numbers of cadets in the training system or graduating, with no job to go to, as has happened to some other programmes.

Currently we are accepting declarations of interest from potential applicants to the Sponsored Pilot Programme, as we are engaged with a client who has a requirement for cadet entry pilots. We will not process these applications until we have a confirmation of numbers required and into-service dates from the client. If and when that happens we’ll put a banner ad on PPRuNe, and process applications on a first come first served basis.

The Sponsored Instructor Programme is currently closed, and we do not intent to take new applications until the New Year.

I hope that helps.

JamesTigris
31st Oct 2008, 11:06
Once again, I find this a rather controversial use of the word 'sponsorship', seemingly as a buzz word to hook potential candidates.

I am not casting doubt on the quality of the scheme, which I am sure provides excellent training and has a sensible approach to placing students with future empoyers (the more difficult step than passing the training).

But this is absolutely, in no way sponsored. Nobody is offering to invest any money to sponsor your career. You either provide the cash yourself or put yourself in debt against your (or your benefactor's) house.

Once again, the possibility of a placement after training is the attractive feature, but to call it sponsored is surely only to attract the naive.

Rod Wren
31st Oct 2008, 16:06
Well, that’s a point of view James.

In this case, the training is partially secured by way of a bond which is fully refundable to the cadet throughout the term of their employment.

The bond does not cover the full costs of the training; the sponsoring airline is paying directly for the latter portion.

What you are obviously objecting to is the fact that the salary of the cadet entrant will be lower than that a qualified and experienced pilot could expect from the same airline, and that the airline is using this ‘saving’ to partially offset its training costs.

However, take a step back. Would you describe, for example, the old (pre-11th Sep 2001) BA cadet programme as a ‘sponsored’ programme?

Most would answer ‘yes’.

However, in that case, BA paid a reduced salary for 5 years to cadet entry pilots to offset some of their training costs. Using your critique this was therefore not a sponsored programme at all, but called that only to “attract the naïve”. The only real difference with, for example, our programme or CTC’s, is that BA did not require a bond to secure the training costs (and therefore were exposed to the risk of a sponsored cadet leaving before their training costs were amortised).

What about the ‘old’ Aer Lingus cadet programme? Was that sponsored?

Again, most would answer ‘yes’.

However, in this case the cadet paid for the first part of their training themselves (£31,000 from memory), and the costs of the ‘sponsored element’ were offset by the airline by paying a lower ‘cadet entry pilot’ salary, when compared with experienced ‘Direct Entry’ pilots. Note: the only way into the airline for an inexperienced pilot was through the cadet programme, and therefore when comparing salaries one is comparing an experienced ‘DEP’ with an inexperienced ‘CEP’.

The fact is that 300hr pilots can generally command much lower salaries than experienced FOs, and this is the sort of rate paid by most airlines for cadet entrants. Plus, in some cases, the cadet’s training bond will be paid in addition, plus a contribution to interest on any loan they might have taken out to raise the bond. Plus the airline may be paying directly for the latter part of the training.

If you are a Wannabee struggling to find a job, I suggest that sounds like a pretty good deal.

Personally, what I do find objectionable is a ‘sponsored programme’ which has no sponsors in sight. Hence our policy that we will not accept applications to our sponsored programmes until and unless we have identified places with sponsors.

This is the definition of ‘Sponsor’ I got from Dictionary.com (http://www.Dictionary.com)

spon•sor (spŏn'sər) Pronunciation Key
n.
1. One who assumes responsibility for another person or a group during a period of instruction, apprenticeship, or probation.
2. One who vouches for the suitability of a candidate for admission.
3. A legislator who proposes and urges adoption of a bill.
4. One who presents a candidate for baptism or confirmation; a godparent.
5. One that finances a project or an event carried out by another person or group, especially a business enterprise that pays for radio or television programming in return for advertising time.

On that basis, and what I’ve said about how the programmes work, I feel fully justified in describing the Sponsored Pilot Programme and Sponsored Instructor Programme as such; what differentiates them from the self-funded courses is the involvement of a sponsor.

But I respect your right to disagree.

Rod Wren
31st Oct 2008, 16:37
We bought the FTO division of Bristol Flying Centre last year, which is still based in the Bristol Flying Centre building at Bristol Airport. Bristol Flying Centre now are a Kingair and Citation CJ TRTO, a FBO, and an Aircraft Maintenance company.